Second-guessing

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, I did my best to behave myself before the game, even though I had grave misgivings about this Packer team. I don't want to turn into a chronic complainer, but now that the game is over it's time for some good old-fashioned second-guessing:

1. Why did Thompson cut Andrae Thurman while leaving players like Donnell Washington and James Horton on the roster? This meant starting the season with only four wideouts (because Murphy is still injured). That decision bit the Packers in the rear end in a big way today, when Walker got injured and Ferguson was cramping up. Did Sherman actually think that the likes of Washington and Horton would be claimed off waivers by some other team? (And yes, I did question this decision at the time.)

2. Why did Sherman start Ahmad Carroll even though everyone except Raider Pride can see that the guy is not ready to start in the NFL?

3. Why did Sherman treat the preseason like a minicamp, not even bothering to set his starting lineups until opening day? The offense looked like it was still playing preseason football.

Okay, those are the biggies. I should add that although the TV announcers said the Packer O-line played well, they were wrong. The entire game plan was designed to hide the deficiencies of the interior O-line, with lots of three-step drops and little flare passes. There was seldom time for the receivers to get open downfield.

It was an awful game. Let's hope things improve quickly on offense. At least the defense and the coverage teams showed some life.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the only big one i REALLY have a problem with is #2. Carroll is detrimental to the team winning. Its...as simple as that. With him out, we have a chance to win, with him in there...well.....you seen what happened.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Greg...

I'll answer #2 and #3 for you...

2. The egotistical Mike Sherman started Carroll today because he "drafted" him...that is a typical "Sherman" move...to not do the sensible thing...but butt-headedly do what you think is right because you did it....

3. Because Sherman is an awful coach and doesn't know anything about playing with intensity and developing team chemistry and it's importance in getting off to a fast start at the beginning of the season...Sherman is soft...hence the Pack have gotten off to slow starts since he has been here.....there has been no offensive rhythym that i've seen in any of the preseason games...except perhaps, in Buffalo...but that was weeks ago....

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
3. Because Sherman is an awful coach and doesn't know anything about playing with intensity and developing team chemistry and it's importance in getting off to a fast start at the beginning of the season...Sherman is soft...hence the Pack have gotten off to slow starts since he has been here.....there has been no offensive rhythym that i've seen in any of the preseason games...except perhaps, in Buffalo...but that was weeks ago....

sherman HAS TO get this team fired up to play the browns at home next week, i'd say his job were on the line but we already balked and signed him to an extension...no if and's or but's...if we start 1-4 this time by, our schedule wont let us pull another playoff appearence out of nowhere, this team needs to find a heart AND FAST

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is a typical MS start....lethargic and confused. Sadly, that playcalling had all the hallmarks of Tom Rossley pulling the trigger. Dear lord....I knew what was coming half the time...my guess is that the Lions' coaches had a better percentage than me.

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pack, you are right on #2. Sherman does that time and time again - out of stubborness? He does things to appease himself, like firing Donatell when Rossley is the problem. Greg said Carroll is not ready to start in the NFL, I think he's wrong. I don't think he is ready to play in the NFL.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackerTraxx said:
Pack, you are right on #2. Sherman does that time and time again - out of stubborness? He does things to appease himself, like firing Donatell when Rossley is the problem. Greg said Carroll is not ready to start in the NFL, I think he's wrong. I don't think he is ready to play in the NFL.

I was always an Ahmad Caroll supporter...especially after last year's penalty fest...i was like, he's young, great natural ability, he was thrown into the fire too soon at one of the toughest scrutinized positions, give him another season...well it appears he hasn't improved, start joey thomas, this kid is hurting the team a lot

no, dont cut him or trade him, keep him...hope to god he learns his position because he could be one heck of a cornerback, he came into the league as a 21-year old rookie, very raw talent, just wait

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Number one - right out the gate -- Rossley was calling the plays...
You guys got that? No matter what Sherman tells people... it was Rossley.
That game had all the ear marks of the AZ fiasco of 2003! - Period!

Tom Rossley is high school football fodder and couldn't plan his way outta wet paper sack.

I'm tellin' ya - Sherman let him have the reins for missin' last year's game.

But, I'm betting TT had lunch with the ol' boy today.... who wants to bet...?

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
That's right PackerTraxx...

The Pack would have been better off 2 years ago if they would have held on to Donnatell and fired Rossley and gotten a better OC in Green Bay...

But, I'm happy with Bates...it's the offensive play caller who has to get his head out of his a**.....and right quick too...

PackerChick

Cheesehead
Reaction score
digsthepack said:
It is a typical MS start....lethargic and confused. Sadly, that playcalling had all the hallmarks of Tom Rossley pulling the trigger. Dear lord....I knew what was coming half the time...my guess is that the Lions' coaches had a better percentage than me.

one week and one game. relax.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts