Second-guesses: What next for Favre?(foxsports.com)

umair

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6284494

Favre got beat up by the Detroit Lions and was pressured into three interceptions in what was a turnover-filled victory. Favre admitted that his team has a lot of holes to fix before they can storm into Chicago and whip the division's bad boys.
It wasn't that long ago that Favre owned the Bears — beat them whenever he felt like it. Well, those days are gone and Favre looked like a player facing an uncertain future. Right now, Favre is playing on a very average team. And he doesn't know if the Packers will be much better next season. Yes, he's wishing and hoping, but he really doesn't know.

Can Favre force Packers GM Ted Thompson to secure four or five great free-agents to make his team a legitimate contender in 2007? Well, we all know that is not Thompson's style. He prefers to build through the draft.

If Thompson decides he won't go on a spending spree, he should tell Favre, and hopefully this great warrior retires knowing that it will be a few more years before Green Bay is competitive once again.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
its no secret how TT goes about things....so why it would suddenly become a mystery is stupid.

one thing i heard weeks ago after one of our wins was that the staff wanted an answer from favre on his choice a LOT sooner than last years nonsense, and I believe if he does say YES sooner or NO sooner, it will effect how GB goes about things...how could it not?!

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Ted, not tittie.

If the players are in their mid 20's, get them regardless of Bretts choice (hes playing next year too though). Bringing in good players isn't a bad. If they can provide leadership, get them. Don't sell the farm for a mere chance at a SB. We're a lot more than four or five free agents away from being a serious contender. Atleast, thats how I feel. Mind you, there is a bit of ignorance in that statement as I do not know all the free agents whom will be available for the Packers next year.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It contstantly baffles me that people think signing a bunch of free agents is somehow the ticket to success. The Vikings and Redskins have been trying this for ages and it's gotten them nowhere.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why discuss this. Brett will be coming back. Ted's job is to put the best team on the field he can. The man better not be an idiot. Brett Favre is still the best player on this team, he had better want him back and he had better find a way to secure more talent around him. It's a no brainer.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
its no secret how TT goes about things....so why it would suddenly become a mystery is stupid.

one thing i heard weeks ago after one of our wins was that the staff wanted an answer from favre on his choice a LOT sooner than last years nonsense, and I believe if he does say YES sooner or NO sooner, it will effect how GB goes about things...how could it not?!

Hopefully TT will man-up this year and tell Favre if he plans on signing any high impact FA WR's and some veteran o-lineman, or else let him seek employment elsewhere....

TT's experiment with starting rookies on the o-line and elsewhere on the team has been a shaky, 50-50 proposition at best...imo...

Hell, even the Patriots sign FA's to help the team, so it would be idiotic to overly depend on the draft to build the Packers...

It takes too damn long...

Plus..there's no guarantee these rookies will all pan out!

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It would be very nice to know if Favre is going to retire or stay sooner then last year, but IMO I would still give him as much time as he needs to decide, we owe him that much for all he has given us...I think IMO he will come back for another year maybe more if he feels he can still help the team...

I think to if we have the money sign some great players to help this team win...

chibiabos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
:twocents: When are the GB fans going to face some reality? GB is re-building and you'd best be prepared for a number of years before you will see a truly competitive team again. Brett Favre cannot take them to another superbowl unless you want him to stick around for another three or four years. By that time his skill level would possibly be on a level with Kitna's today!

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
agopackgo4 said:
like you know that

I do. I've seen many many pictures of Brett. Enough pictures an video to determine he's a okay looking guy.

he's a married man Kevin, so forget about it!

TT is also way past his prime in the dating game and probably won't be marrying anytime in the near future. this is another reason he's been trying to run Brett out of town. his happy marriage has been driving Ted insane for the better part of 2 seasons now.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6284494

Favre got beat up by the Detroit Lions and was pressured into three interceptions in what was a turnover-filled victory. Favre admitted that his team has a lot of holes to fix before they can storm into Chicago and whip the division's bad boys.
It wasn't that long ago that Favre owned the Bears — beat them whenever he felt like it. Well, those days are gone and Favre looked like a player facing an uncertain future. Right now, Favre is playing on a very average team. And he doesn't know if the Packers will be much better next season. Yes, he's wishing and hoping, but he really doesn't know.

Can Favre force Packers GM Ted Thompson to secure four or five great free-agents to make his team a legitimate contender in 2007? Well, we all know that is not Thompson's style. He prefers to build through the draft.

If Thompson decides he won't go on a spending spree, he should tell Favre, and hopefully this great warrior retires knowing that it will be a few more years before Green Bay is competitive once again.

I don't think we need four or five free agents. I'll be content with two - an SS and a TE. Jennings will be up to full strength next year (he's playing hurt and it shows). Our OL is improving. Green + Morency = a pretty good RB tandem. We all know how good Driver is. Our CBs are two of the best in the NFL. Our DL is wonderful with Jenkins now starting. Our LBs are fine. I think we have a solid team.

Fire Schottenheimer, pick up an SS and a TE, and we'll be 9-7 next year. Plus, keep building through the draft and let's have another long-term run. I don't think talent is the problem. I think it's the lack of coaching on the defensive end of things and special teams, especially the communication between DBs.

We also need to improve in the red zone. We keep getting into the red zone and settling for a field goal or turning the ball over. We need to stop doing this.

Favre will be back next year, and he'll help lead us to a winning record. A good TE could mean the difference between a TD and a field goal when we reach the red zone.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brett can go another 3 years if he wants.

Next year will be Rogers time to show he was worth the investment. He hasn't so far. If he doesn't then some one else in 2008 must join Ingle Martin in the process of learning and getting ready to play.

dxbfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think its pointless to have Favre come back for another year of the rebuilding effort. It doesnt help the team as it doesnt allow them to discover their starting QB of the future and it doesnt help Favre's reputation to have games like he did on Sunday or a season languishing in the bottom half of league QB ratings.

Furthermore you dont want a situation in 2008 where the rebuilding has possibly generated a team that is a potential contender but which is unable to contend because they're breaking in a new QB.

More than an answer from Favre, I think TT needs to let Favre know how he sees the future of this team and the direction in which he wants to proceed. And then have the guts to run the risk of going down in history as the man who ran Favre out of GB.

Members online

Latest posts