Seattle defense fast approaching

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
By TOM SILVERSTEIN
[email protected]
Posted: Jan. 6, 2008

Seattle - The message the Washington Redskins had for the Green Bay Packers after their playoff loss to the Seattle Seahawks on Saturday couldn't have been much clearer if they had posted it on a road sign outside Lambeau Field:

Neither coaches nor players for the Redskins, who played both the Seahawks and the Packers this season, would give the Packers more than a 50-50 chance of winning in their divisional playoff game Saturday against Seattle, and that's because of Seattle's defense.

If there was one thing Washington struggled with all day, it was the speed of the Seahawks' front seven, which is something Green Bay will have to contend with as well.

"I don't know if they're as much aggressive as fast," Washington center Casey Rabach said after the game. "They're fast, no doubt. They're quick side to side. They'll run downhill on you, but I think we've played more physical linebackers. They're a darn good defense."

Washington quarterback Todd Collins experienced the boiler-room pressure of having ends Patrick Kerney and Darryl Tapp and linebackers Julian Peterson, Lofa Tatupu and Leroy Hill in his face and in the passing lanes all day long. Collins was knocked to the ground an astonishing 13 times, and 10 of his passes were broken up.

Kerney, the NFC leader in sacks with 14½, dominated his matchup with rookie right tackle Stephon Heyer, and Peterson, who blitzed from various positions on the field, combined for eight of the hits on Collins. Washington struggled with its snap count and was slow off the ball because of the numbing crowd noise, which Green Bay won't have to face playing at home.

Still, the ability of the Packers to make hay with their stretch running plays or empty backfields on passing downs will be affected by Seattle's quickness.

"It will be a great matchup to see what they (the Packers) do offensively," Washington offensive coordinator Al Saunders said. "(Brett Favre) has the ability to get rid of the ball (quickly). He has some great playmakers. Donald Driver is playing well and the other receivers are playing well, and they're running the ball better at the end of the year, so they've balanced it up a little more, which you need to do against this defense."

Washington came into the game hoping to establish the run against a Seattle defense that had showed some frailties in that area in the second half of the season. But the Seattle defensive linemen kept penetrating gaps and the linebackers shut off running back Clinton Portis anytime he threatened to leak outside.

Four times in the first half, the Seahawks denied Washington when it needed just a yard for a first down, including a sequence in the second quarter in which the Redskins failed on second, third and fourth and 1. The interior of the defensive line, which has been thinned by injuries to tackles Chuck Darby and Marcus Tubbs, wasn't as much of a factor as Tatupu, Hill and Peterson were, blowing up plays at the line of scrimmage.

On passing downs, Peterson moves to defensive end and sometimes picks and chooses where on the line he's going to rush, at times forcing teams to defend him and Kerney on the same side. Tackle Mark Tauscher will have his hands full with Kerney, and both of the Packers' young guards will have to be on the lookout for Peterson.

"You have to help out with Kerney and then all of a sudden you have Peterson, who's a great pass rusher from the second level," Saunders said. "He's one of those unique players that has defensive back speed in a defensive lineman's body and he plays linebacker. They do a great job of zone blitzing and getting their linebackers involved as pass rushers as well as pass defenders. They have such great speed."

Favre's experience in reading defenses will come into play in anticipating the variety of zone blitzes that Seattle uses and in adjusting protection schemes before the snap. Washington had trouble with some of the linebacker blitzes.

"If they (the Packers) know what the protections are going to be, they can slide to the linebackers," Heyer said. "Or they'll have to keep the back in to chip. Guys have to match up."

On defense, the Packers will be facing almost a mirror-image of their own offense. Coach Mike Holmgren utilizes a lot of multiple receiver sets and likes to think his four receivers are better than the four cornerbacks a defense can put on the field.

What Seattle hasn't done well is run. Franchise back Shaun Alexander hasn't had a 100-yard game since Week 3 and has scored just four touchdowns in the regular season.

"They don't scare you," Washington end Phillip Daniels said. "They do a good job managing the game, doing the little things, and that's the whole difference right there. (Alexander) can still hurt you. You still have to concentrate on him; you have to know he's back there."

In general, however, Seattle is going to test the Packers' pass defense.

"They are a pass football team," Washington linebacker London Fletcher said. "I don't think that's a secret. That's what they've done. People think you have to run the ball to be successful. Here they pass it to be successful. It'll be two pass-oriented offenses going against each other. It's really going to come down to whose defense plays better. That's how I see it."

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
By TOM SILVERSTEIN
[email protected]
Posted: Jan. 6, 2008

Seattle - The message the Washington Redskins had for the Green Bay Packers after their playoff loss to the Seattle Seahawks on Saturday couldn't have been much clearer if they had posted it on a road sign outside Lambeau Field:

Neither coaches nor players for the Redskins, who played both the Seahawks and the Packers this season, would give the Packers more than a 50-50 chance of winning in their divisional playoff game Saturday against Seattle, and that's because of Seattle's defense.

If there was one thing Washington struggled with all day, it was the speed of the Seahawks' front seven, which is something Green Bay will have to contend with as well.

"I don't know if they're as much aggressive as fast," Washington center Casey Rabach said after the game. "They're fast, no doubt. They're quick side to side. They'll run downhill on you, but I think we've played more physical linebackers. They're a darn good defense."

Washington quarterback Todd Collins experienced the boiler-room pressure of having ends Patrick Kerney and Darryl Tapp and linebackers Julian Peterson, Lofa Tatupu and Leroy Hill in his face and in the passing lanes all day long. Collins was knocked to the ground an astonishing 13 times, and 10 of his passes were broken up.

Kerney, the NFC leader in sacks with 14½, dominated his matchup with rookie right tackle Stephon Heyer, and Peterson, who blitzed from various positions on the field, combined for eight of the hits on Collins. Washington struggled with its snap count and was slow off the ball because of the numbing crowd noise, which Green Bay won't have to face playing at home.

Still, the ability of the Packers to make hay with their stretch running plays or empty backfields on passing downs will be affected by Seattle's quickness.

"It will be a great matchup to see what they (the Packers) do offensively," Washington offensive coordinator Al Saunders said. "(Brett Favre) has the ability to get rid of the ball (quickly). He has some great playmakers. Donald Driver is playing well and the other receivers are playing well, and they're running the ball better at the end of the year, so they've balanced it up a little more, which you need to do against this defense."

Washington came into the game hoping to establish the run against a Seattle defense that had showed some frailties in that area in the second half of the season. But the Seattle defensive linemen kept penetrating gaps and the linebackers shut off running back Clinton Portis anytime he threatened to leak outside.

Four times in the first half, the Seahawks denied Washington when it needed just a yard for a first down, including a sequence in the second quarter in which the Redskins failed on second, third and fourth and 1. The interior of the defensive line, which has been thinned by injuries to tackles Chuck Darby and Marcus Tubbs, wasn't as much of a factor as Tatupu, Hill and Peterson were, blowing up plays at the line of scrimmage.

On passing downs, Peterson moves to defensive end and sometimes picks and chooses where on the line he's going to rush, at times forcing teams to defend him and Kerney on the same side. Tackle Mark Tauscher will have his hands full with Kerney, and both of the Packers' young guards will have to be on the lookout for Peterson.

"You have to help out with Kerney and then all of a sudden you have Peterson, who's a great pass rusher from the second level," Saunders said. "He's one of those unique players that has defensive back speed in a defensive lineman's body and he plays linebacker. They do a great job of zone blitzing and getting their linebackers involved as pass rushers as well as pass defenders. They have such great speed."

Favre's experience in reading defenses will come into play in anticipating the variety of zone blitzes that Seattle uses and in adjusting protection schemes before the snap. Washington had trouble with some of the linebacker blitzes.

"If they (the Packers) know what the protections are going to be, they can slide to the linebackers," Heyer said. "Or they'll have to keep the back in to chip. Guys have to match up."

On defense, the Packers will be facing almost a mirror-image of their own offense. Coach Mike Holmgren utilizes a lot of multiple receiver sets and likes to think his four receivers are better than the four cornerbacks a defense can put on the field.

What Seattle hasn't done well is run. Franchise back Shaun Alexander hasn't had a 100-yard game since Week 3 and has scored just four touchdowns in the regular season.

"They don't scare you," Washington end Phillip Daniels said. "They do a good job managing the game, doing the little things, and that's the whole difference right there. (Alexander) can still hurt you. You still have to concentrate on him; you have to know he's back there."

In general, however, Seattle is going to test the Packers' pass defense.

"They are a pass football team," Washington linebacker London Fletcher said. "I don't think that's a secret. That's what they've done. People think you have to run the ball to be successful. Here they pass it to be successful. It'll be two pass-oriented offenses going against each other. It's really going to come down to whose defense plays better. That's how I see it."

Just because the Redskins stunk, they think Seattle has a 50/50 chance of beating us? That's silly.

Interesting article though. As fast as Seattle's front seven is, Favre and MM will figure out ways to make them obsolete.

I have utmost respect for Holmgren as a coach, but their O is weak.

In the '07 season, good O has trumped good D. I think this game will be a continuation of that trend.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Redskins left an undrafted free agent by himself to block Patrick Kerney and, as nice a story as Todd Collins' run was, he's no Brett Favre and the Redskins' receivers aren't in the same galaxy as ours (remember it took until something like week 9 for a Redskins WR to catch a TD pass). The Seahawks' D may be fast, but I think they should be pretty worried about trying to beat Mark Tauscher, Brett Favre and the Big Five package.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seattle has a defense?

news to me. Do they have 5 good Dbs that can stop the BIG FIVE? Didn't think so.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Also what wasn't mentioned was the general pulse of this game.

It was a defensive showdown til the 4th quarter. Then, the road team dropped 14 in under 3 minutes with a backup qb. washington was ready to go up 21-13, and the backup qb's offense imploded in the red zone. Then Suisham shanked a gimme FG. Momentum shifts, and all of a sudden Seattle goes up 21-14 after a 2-point conversion. Then with the backup qb pressing, he throws a pick-6. Twice.

GB is a better team than Washington, and Seattle won't get the emotional boost of their noisy sans-a-roof stadium.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's true that GB and Washington are different teams, but we shouldn't overlook the fact that Seattle has a good team and they are peaking at the right time. These guys have a lot of playoff experience and that could be a big factor against the youngest team in the NFL.

In addition, our best asset is our passing game, but this game will be in GB where who knows what the weather will be like. It could very well be a low scoring battle, which could go either way. I'd take Seattle's kicker over our rookie in this situation.

I don't expect us to lose as I believe that we are the better team, but this game is far from a gimme. Anything can happen, especially in the playoffs. One thing is certain though, Hasselbach is going to be careful with the ball with Harris in coverage. I'm sure he's itching to make up for that dumb comment from a few years ago.

GO PACK GO!!!

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bobby Roberts said:
It's true that GB and Washington are different teams, but we shouldn't overlook the fact that Seattle has a good team and they are peaking at the right time. These guys have a lot of playoff experience and that could be a big factor against the youngest team in the NFL.

In addition, our best asset is our passing game, but this game will be in GB where who knows what the weather will be like. It could very well be a low scoring battle, which could go either way. I'd take Seattle's kicker over our rookie in this situation.

I don't expect us to lose as I believe that we are the better team, but this game is far from a gimme. Anything can happen, especially in the playoffs. One thing is certain though, Hasselbach is going to be careful with the ball with Harris in coverage. I'm sure he's itching to make up for that dumb comment from a few years ago.

GO PACK GO!!!

Our running game is superior to theirs right now. Our D is better than theirs. Our special teams are better than theirs. Our passing O is much, much better than theirs.

Where Seattle excels is at generating interceptions. I'm confident Favre and MM will gameplan around their strengths and destroy Seattle. We just have to be careful not to turn the ball over.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bobby Roberts said:

GO PACK GO!!!

Our running game is superior to theirs right now. Our D is better than theirs. Our special teams are better than theirs. Our passing O is much, much better than theirs.

Where Seattle excels is at generating interceptions. I'm confident Favre and MM will gameplan around their strengths and destroy Seattle. We just have to be careful not to turn the ball over.

We're not that much better that we can just relax on this one. I just hope that Favre continues to play within himself and the offense. Plus I hope that MM doesn't outcoach himself in game planning -- focusing too much on their weaknesses rather than our strengths. I also hope that our rookies/young players don't play too tight in the biggest game of their young professional careers, or that they overlook a solid team - being too cocky.

Seattle is a good, experienced team with a very good experienced coach. I'm confident that GB is better, but I was also confident that GB would beat Chicago in both games this year. Any given Sunday...

GO PACK GO!!!

DarkaneRules

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with a lot of their comments. One thing that was obvious to me about the Redskins' QB was that, although he did a good job in those last four games, he just stands in the pocket like a statue. He just had zero mobility and never really extended the play at all. The Packers are real good at extending the play so that will help us big time against a defense that can be a little too hyper. We have to make them over pursue some plays. That will be key.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bobby Roberts said:
We're not that much better that we can just relax on this one. I just hope that Favre continues to play within himself and the offense. Plus I hope that MM doesn't outcoach himself in game planning -- focusing too much on their weaknesses rather than our strengths. I also hope that our rookies/young players don't play too tight in the biggest game of their young professional careers, or that they overlook a solid team - being too cocky.

Seattle is a good, experienced team with a very good experienced coach. I'm confident that GB is better, but I was also confident that GB would beat Chicago in both games this year. Any given Sunday...

GO PACK GO!!!

No, of course you can never relax against any opponent, even the 49ers. However, the reason why MM can get away with playing to opponents' weaknesses is our strengths on O are so diverse. We seriously have no glaring weakness on O, except for our OGs need to do better run blocking. That said, our talents on O are diverse enough to play to opponents' weaknesses.

If you listed the Packers' strengths on offense in week 3 or week 4, it would be a much smaller list than what it was in week 17. Heck, our #2 RB ran for over 100 yards and didn't even start the game and that was with our #1 and #2 WR out as well as Favre out by the time Jackson came in. Now, that's diversity.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
If you listed the Packers' strengths on offense in week 3 or week 4, it would be a much smaller list than what it was in week 17. Heck, our #2 RB ran for over 100 yards and didn't even start the game and that was with our #1 and #2 WR out as well as Favre out by the time Jackson came in. Now, that's diversity.

Remember we were playing the toothless Lions in week 17.. at any time we or in fact any team can lay a egg like week 16.

But the overall point of your post.. on mark!

vike4life

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All I know is that the last touchdown the Seahawks scored with 27 seconds left cost me $750.00. I was already counting the $$$$.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All I know is that the last touchdown the Seahawks scored with 27 seconds left cost me $750.00. I was already counting the $$$$.

Aaah, yes, the spread. Since I don't gamble, I forget these little things.

It's a shame that the commentators can't mention these things on-air. Imagine if we were all in on the pain/ecstasy of degenerates like you, trom, and packnic.

Chris Collinsworth: "Aaaaand with that, the Seahawks blow apart the spread. Sorry to all of you who thought Joe Gibbs and Todd Collins would cover. You are now poorer for your degenerate-osity. Shame on you."

j/k. But that would provide plenty of laughs at the end of games.

EDIT: Good Lord, I am the most retarded individual on the web. If u didn't see what I edited, awesome. If you did, shut your face. :lol:

evad04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seattle's front seven scares me. Regardless of what opinions you have about there offense, there's no denying Kerney, Peterson, and Tatupu. Three pro-bowlers right there. I think the key is going to be passing the ball well and spreading them out to get those LBs off the field. That said, we need to run the ball as well. My hope is that we don't become predictable, though.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seattle's front seven scares me. Regardless of what opinions you have about there offense, there's no denying Kerney, Peterson, and Tatupu. Three pro-bowlers right there. I think the key is going to be passing the ball well and spreading them out to get those LBs off the field. That said, we need to run the ball as well. My hope is that we don't become predictable, though.

Favre's release has gotten faster as he's getting older. If they put 8 men in the box, we'll destroy them with our passing. If they put 7, Ryan Grant will eat them for breakfast.

This is the one game I'm not worried about. Don't worry, MM is and he's taken steps to ensure we'll win this. But as a fan, I'm not whatsoever.

I am worried about the Cows. If TO is healthy by the time we play them, it's going to be tough.

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am worried about the Cows. If TO is healthy by the time we play them, it's going to be tough.

I'm not worried about anything Zombie. 34-0 over the Vikings will last me an eternity. Everything else from here on out is Gravy.

How many of you even dreamed of a 13-3 season?

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zombieslayer said:

I'm not worried about anything Zombie. 34-0 over the Vikings will last me an eternity. Everything else from here on out is Gravy.

I certainly didn't. I expected 8-8 or 9-7.

But Obi1 is disappointed. He said we'd be 16-0.

BCheezy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I sure hope the coaching staff underestimates us as much as much as you guys have. Our offense sucks and our defense sucks?? lol. We had to get here somehow didn't we?

These are two incredibly well matched teams. Two veteran QBs, great linebackers, mucho talent at recievers. The Pack has the run game, and we have the run D. On paper, this looks like a shootout close one.

Reaction score
I sure hope the coaching staff underestimates us as much as much as you guys have. Our offense sucks and our defense sucks?? lol. We had to get here somehow didn't we?

lol, hey I think us Packer fans are allowed to be a bit cocky after going 13-3 (13-1 against teams not named the Bears).

I completely agree these two teams are well matched. I was watching the the last Seahawks-PAckers game just a couple of hours ago, and Engram hurt us. Also, our Guard play was out of this world in that game.

Going into this Saturday's game, our Nickel and Dime backs aren't set in stone, and although we have young talented CBs, they are raw and have made errors this season. That could be a potential problem.

As for our Guards, it isn't as if things are all fine and dandy at that position. Our most consistent guard this season, Jason Spitz, is injured, and our LG Colledge is a mystery. Colledge has the ability, and has played well at times, but when he struggles, he REALLY struggles. If Colledge doesn't play well, the Packers don't have much experience to turn to, as our previous starting G Coston was put on IR.

To add, our T Mark Tausher is injured and won't be fully healthy until after the season. He'll be matched up with Kerney, and given that Taush is not fully healthy, that's a cause for concern.

Should be an entertaining game, similar to the last playoff game these two teams had. Of course I wouldn't mind having the same ending. :D

BCheezy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:

lol, hey I think us Packer fans are allowed to be a bit cocky after going 13-3 (13-1 against teams not named the Bears).

I completely agree these two teams are well matched. I was watching the the last Seahawks-PAckers game just a couple of hours ago, and Engram hurt us. Also, our Guard play was out of this world in that game.

Going into this Saturday's game, our Nickel and Dime backs aren't set in stone, and although we have young talented CBs, they are raw and have made errors this season. That could be a potential problem.

As for our Guards, it isn't as if things are all fine and dandy at that position. Our most consistent guard this season, Jason Spitz, is injured, and our LG Colledge is a mystery. Colledge has the ability, and has played well at times, but when he struggles, he REALLY struggles. If Colledge doesn't play well, the Packers don't have much experience to turn to, as our previous starting G Coston was put on IR.

To add, our T Mark Tausher is injured and won't be fully healthy until after the season. He'll be matched up with Kerney, and given that Taush is not fully healthy, that's a cause for concern.

Should be an entertaining game, similar to the last playoff game these two teams had. Of course I wouldn't mind having the same ending. :D

Thats just another thing our teams have in common. Our Guards completely suck ***. Rob Sims and Chris Gray are.. just horrid.

Reaction score
It'll be interesting to see how much the Packers blitz.

We blitz quite heavily near the end of the season, but normally our scheme isn't blitz heavy. Early in the season, we relied a lot on our front 4 to generate a rush.

Gah, I can't wait till this Saturday.

BCheezy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lets analyse secondaries now. You have Charles Woodson who is a seasoned vet with playmaking abilities, as is Marcus Trufant. Whoever the other younger unexperienced guy is, he sounds alot like our #2 in Kelly Jennings. Somebody has to cover donald driver and somebody has to cover jennings. Jennings should be primary leaving Donald open for some plays. You can put Charles Woodson on whomever you want. Lets just say Engram. Deion Branch comes back this week so he will have to be accounted for, as well as DJ Hackett who had 100 yards last week. Does Nate Burleson even have a jogging buddy to run down the sidelines with as he's hauling in passes?

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DakotaT said:
Zombieslayer said:

I certainly didn't. I expected 8-8 or 9-7.

But Obi1 is disappointed. He said we'd be 16-0.
My predisction pre season was 11-5. So i was closer then Obi1! I missed by 2 games, he missed by 3!!! :lol:

Aytumious

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lets analyse secondaries now. You have Charles Woodson who is a seasoned vet with playmaking abilities, as is Marcus Trufant. Whoever the other younger unexperienced guy is, he sounds alot like our #2 in Kelly Jennings. Somebody has to cover donald driver and somebody has to cover jennings. Jennings should be primary leaving Donald open for some plays. You can put Charles Woodson on whomever you want. Lets just say Engram. Deion Branch comes back this week so he will have to be accounted for, as well as DJ Hackett who had 100 yards last week. Does Nate Burleson even have a jogging buddy to run down the sidelines with as he's hauling in passes?

Our #2 is starting in the Pro Bowl. His name is Al Harris.

Members online

Latest posts