Sean Weatherspoon (ILB/OLB, Missouri)

claybillings

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We could easily move him inside and replace AJ Hawk, possibly trade AJ Hawk to move up and get him? The defensive coordinator said that he is a natural communicator and could play all 3 LB positions.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xx-BxSaQVh4]YouTube - LB Sean Weatherspoon Highlights/Lowlights 2009 Missouri[/ame]

02/14/2010 - PRO POTENTIAL: LB Sean Weatherspoon - With an impressive showing in practices at the Senior Bowl, Weatherspoon might have put his name into consideration for the first round, especially after a strong performance during the game, during which he intercepted Oklahoma State's Zac Robinson.
01/29/2010 - Lions defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham talked with Missouri's Sean Weatherspoon during practice for the Senior Bowl. "I said, 'The middle linebacker's got to be the leader of the defense,' " said Cunningham, who is working with the North for Saturday's game along with the rest of the Lions' coaches. "And, boy ... " Cunningham snapped his fingers. "He jumped on it," Cunningham said. "You can hear him, and if you listen really close, it's a real positive thing." You don't have to listen that close. Weatherspoon is easy to hear, yapping during drills and between them. You don't have to look all that close, either. Weatherspoon has been all over the field during practices. Lions coach Jim Schwartz likes multidimensional players, and the Lions have tried Weatherspoon at all three linebacker positions. "He's shown it at each spot, and that's what we're trying to do, is give him as many shots at a couple of the other positions," Cunningham said. - Nicholas J. Cotsonika, The Detroit Free Press

Analysis:

Read & React: Good instincts and reaction speed -- knows the game and plays very fast. Reads plays quickly. Easily identifies screen and bootleg and takes away the open check-down receiver in the flat. A bit overzealous against the run. Will take false steps, bite on play-action and run past the ball in the backfield.

Run defense: Very good chase defender who comes downhill in a hurry, especially if the play goes east-west. Scrapes down the line and finds the opening to attack the running back. Physical but tries to avoid linemen in traffic, picking his way through to the ball. Spies the quarterback to prevent long runs on scrambles, and will beat them to the corner from the middle. Usually takes the right chase angle, but is quick enough to recover if the ballcarrier cuts back. Will take on fullback and lineman blocks inside, but does not have the size or punch needed to regularly disengage. Also has troubles getting off run blocks from larger receivers.

Pass defense: Recognizes routes in zone coverage, and is quick enough to lay a lick on receivers coming into his area. Gets deep in his drop and covers a lot of ground. Good enough change-of-direction agility in space to stick with receivers on the edge and run with backs and tight ends over the middle. Runs down the seam with almost any receiver. Natural athlete with very good hand-eye coordination for the interception or pass breakup. Uses quickness and hands to avoid cut blocks by receivers in space. Will face matchup difficulties against taller, faster tight ends at the next level.

Tackling: Wraps up elusive ballcarriers in space. Can line them up for the explosive tackle if given the chance. Pounds receivers coming over the middle, using his shoulder to lay them out. Will overpursue plays or hit a hole before the runner has reached it, opening a cutback lane. Relies on hitting with his shoulder, which will be an issue at the next level. Undisciplined breaking down in space, allowing elusive runners to go around him.

Pass Rush/Blitz: Effective blitzer who finds a hole and explodes through it. Quick enough to elude fullbacks in the hole to get to the quarterback. Can close quickly on quarterbacks and puts on major hits. Works through blocks from tight ends on the edge and linemen or running backs inside to rush the passer. Times jumps to knock down passes on his way to the quarterback.
Intangibles: Upbeat, infectious attitude on the practice field translates as the team's emotional leader.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ESPN and NFl's Mike Maycok said that Weatherspoon would be a great linebacker but not really in the 3-4 because his fluidity and blitzing while staying in the lanes do not match with the scheme. He is best suited as a 4-3 OLB because it's his natural position. If we moved him inside we'd pretty much be getting another A.J. Hawk.

AlDay31

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ESPN and NFl's Mike Maycok said that Weatherspoon would be a great linebacker but not really in the 3-4 because his fluidity and blitzing while staying in the lanes do not match with the scheme. He is best suited as a 4-3 OLB because it's his natural position. If we moved him inside we'd pretty much be getting another A.J. Hawk.
Jep, i also think he is a prototypical 43 OLB. I think if we go after a LB in the first it should be Hughes.
Uhm, and I have to agree with RS, Angerer has a.) tons of upside and would perfectly complement Barnett and b.) our need at ILB is not that big, that we have look for one in the first. (Maye if McClain is there, but that's something very different).

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He is a rookie for sure, needs work like they all do. Seems to me his angles are all wrong and at times does not read things quick enough getting way out of position to make a play. I think the speed of the NFL will be an issue with him early, wether he will be able to react fast enough is a question mark with the film I just watched.

A good showing at the combine is one thing, but a LB has to be able to process what is happening quickly to do well in the NFL. I am not sure he has that by looking at him in the plays where he was a none factor.

Would not call him a first round pick IMO.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He is a rookie for sure, needs work like they all do. Seems to me his angles are all wrong and at times does not read things quick enough getting way out of position to make a play. I think the speed of the NFL will be an issue with him early, wether he will be able to react fast enough is a question mark with the film I just watched.

A good showing at the combine is one thing, but a LB has to be able to process what is happening quickly to do well in the NFL. I am not sure he has that by looking at him in the plays where he was a none factor.

Would not call him a first round pick IMO.
When they interview players, they put them in hypotetycal situations, and ask them what attitute they would take. They evaluate their read and reaction skills by film and by that.

That's why Maualuga and Laurinaitis felt so much in the draft. They were impactful players on their teams, but prior to the draft they were projected as future pro bowlers...

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jep, i also think he is a prototypical 43 OLB. I think if we go after a LB in the first it should be Hughes.
Uhm, and I have to agree with RS, Angerer has a.) tons of upside and would perfectly complement Barnett and b.) our need at ILB is not that big, that we have look for one in the first. (Maye if McClain is there, but that's something very different).

Angerer would be a great option but I believe that his buddy AJ Edds is a more viable option. Edds played as a 3-4 OLB at Iowa and that's who I see being drafted by us.

turbo69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Edds

Angerer would be a great option but I believe that his buddy AJ Edds is a more viable option. Edds played as a 3-4 OLB at Iowa and that's who I see being drafted by us.
I agree, we need that OLB that can play and be productive in the 3-4. Not that Witherspoon would not upgrade our linebacking crew......but, I'd rather see us get a guy Like Segio Kindle if he is still there at 23. Someone mentioned trading Hawk. Hawk is a good football player.....bad idea. I see other guys making mistakes too.......everyone does. I think having Matthews, Hawk, Barnett, and Kindle as our starters.......would be pretty darn good!

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
Where's he projected to go?

I wouldn't mind a linebacker, but the only one I would take high is Rolando McClain.

turbo69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We could easily move him inside and replace AJ Hawk, possibly trade AJ Hawk to move up and get him? The defensive coordinator said that he is a natural communicator and could play all 3 LB positions.

YearTeamGCombTotalAstSckSFTYPDefIntTDsYdsAvgLng2009Green Bay Packers 16 8967221.0--2204221.0292008Green Bay Packers 168667193.0--1------0.0--2007Green Bay Packers 1610578271.0--4101010.0102006Green Bay Packers 1611982373.5--6203115.525TOTAL643992941058.50135083--29

Ok.......everyone is ******* AJ Hawk out. But the numbers are solid. He played less than half the snaps last year than he did in his first season. He can't perform if he is not on the field. He also won't be very motivated playing 10-15 snaps a game either. I think he is not being used properly. If you want to trade a Rookie who has never played against the elite of the NFL..........for AJ Hawk.........hmmmmmm.....! Hawk is a in the trenches guy. We need to get him on the field more.

Members online

Latest posts