Sean Payton

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Payton knew the Saints were going into cap hell and wanted out. If he wants to continue coaching, he will get a lot of attention. What are the chances he goes to the Broncos and a little bird asks Rodgers to force a trade by refusing to regenotiate his current cap cripling contract?

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sixteen years is a looong time for a coach. If he can stomach it, this would be a great time to step away and sit on a beach like Jimmy Johnson.

Wow, did not see this coming. Payton stepping down as HC of the Saints.
I wonder if the Saints saw it either. They are now behind the 8-ball on hiring a coach. Raise your hand if you want your coaching career to rely on Jameis Winston.

OP
OP
ARPackFan

ARPackFan

Knock it off with them negative waves
Reaction score
I think he takes a year off and gets a temporary gig with one of the networks.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he takes a year off and gets a temporary gig with one of the networks.
I could respect that. If he goes someplace like Dallas because he just didn’t want to deal with the mess he helped create in New Orleans I’d hope he falls flat in his face and not just because it’s Dallas and I like it when they lose.

OP
OP
ARPackFan

ARPackFan

Reaction score
I could respect that. If he goes someplace like Dallas because he just didn’t want to deal with the mess he helped create in New Orleans I’d hope he falls flat in his face and not just because it’s Dallas and I like it when they lose.

McCarthy has got to be sweating bullets. I have this image in my head of the guard Percy from the Green Mile walking behind McCarthy - "dead man walking here!!"

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Sounds like the details are being worked out for Payton to head to Denver.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Meanwhile the Texans have a new coach.

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I got mixed feelings on both of those tbh.

For Denver I guess they pretty much have to push all the chips in to try and get things to work out with Russ given what they have invested there. It was sounding like the Saints would be demanding a king's ransom for Payton so if he's not able to get Russ right I feel like they'll be crippled for years to come.

Meanwhile for DeMeco Ryans...great mind, very promising coach. Deserves a HC opportunity but man I can't help but feel like that Texans job is just radioactive right now...

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the right guy can turn the Texans around. I'm happy for him, but I don't follow the 9ers that much. Their D has been great, but they almost have to have a great one it seems with the DL and Linebackers they have.

I'm surprised Peyton is going to Denver. I wouldn't want to inherit that mess and an old QB that relied on the run and broken plays and now can't.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The Broncos are expected to send their first-round pick in 2023 (29th pick) and a second-round pick in 2024 for Payton and the New Orleans Saints' 2024 third-rounder.

For a team that just gave up TE Noah Fant, quarterback Drew Lock, defensive end Shelby Harris, 2022 and 2023 first-round picks, 2022 and 2023 second-round picks and a 2022 fifth-round pick, that is sure emptying the cupboards of draft assets for Payton to work with.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Payton, if hired by the donkeys, will get to find out what it feels like to be Bart Starr. When he was hired as HC, Dan Devine had emptied the draft cupboards with the disasterous John Hadl and Jim Del Gazo trades. It sent the Packers into a 2 decade purgatory.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the right guy can turn the Texans around. I'm happy for him, but I don't follow the 9ers that much. Their D has been great, but they almost have to have a great one it seems with the DL and Linebackers they have.

I'm surprised Peyton is going to Denver. I wouldn't want to inherit that mess and an old QB that relied on the run and broken plays and now can't.
Me too. Plus Denver doesn't have any draft capital to fortify that roster so Sean has his work cut out for him big time. Now their first pick this spring won't be until the 3rd round!

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I do not expect a quick turnaround, Peyton is as crafty as they come. Lest we forget his success. And a Holmgren tree coach to boot. He was highly critical of the pack and barry this past year - and for darn good reason. Denver couldnt have chosen a better hc imo.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
He wasted the career of a Hall of Fame QB by only winning one Super Bowl. He has the same number of Lombardis as Mike McCarthy. (Sound familiar?)

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Why is it that some want to measure a coach or a player's success by the # of Super Bowls that they won or didn't win? It's a team sport.

Lombardi and hus teams, only won 2.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Why is it that some want to measure a coach or a player's success by the # of Super Bowls that they won or didn't win? It's a team sport.

Lombardi and hus teams, only won 2.
OK... you're on to me. Payton has become the "fair haired girl - the girl with the curl", the one that everyone wants to date, and I find it curious that the measuring stick for THIS particular "fair haired girl - the girl with the curl" is different when the very criticism leveled at McCarthy is magically not applied to Payton.

Yeah, that Lombardi guy with only two Super Bowl Championships ... what a slug, right? OVER RATED!! :laugh:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Semantics, 5 NFL championships in 7 years. Lost 1 play off game.

But I get your point and it's one I chuckle to my self about all the time. Payton is the best and MM is a slug, both for the exact same reasons LOL. Fans are funny. Rodgers is a selfish ***** for realizing he's doesn't have the time left for a rebuild, but Brady is not selfish for tossing a marriage and family so he could chase another Super Bowl. Also yelling at players and tossing tablets is desired, eyerolls and other displays of frustration are not. Favre is as loyal as one can be, just ask his wife...

OP
OP
ARPackFan

ARPackFan

Reaction score
OK... you're on to me. Payton has become the "fair haired girl - the girl with the curl", the one that everyone wants to date, and I find it curious that the measuring stick for THIS particular "fair haired girl - the girl with the curl" is different when the very criticism leveled at McCarthy is magically not applied to Payton.

I have never heard that Payton's offense has become stale and predictable. This is what separates McCarthy and Payton. Comparing McCarthy's offensive game planning skills to Payton's is like saying these two guys are pretty much the same because they have the same haircut and play the violin.

OP
OP
ARPackFan

ARPackFan

Reaction score
I saw this on Friday. Sean Payton on PFT Live talking about game preparation and the details that go into it.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Semantics, 5 NFL championships in 7 years. Lost 1 play off game.

But I get your point and it's one I chuckle to my self about all the time. Payton is the best and MM is a slug, both for the exact same reasons LOL. Fans are funny. Rodgers is a selfish ***** for realizing he's doesn't have the time left for a rebuild, but Brady is not selfish for tossing a marriage and family so he could chase another Super Bowl. Also yelling at players and tossing tablets is desired, eyerolls and other displays of frustration are not. Favre is as loyal as one can be, just ask his wife...
Hope the farve and wife was a joke

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts