Sean Jones - Charged with fraud!

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Maybe he should stay out of banking and investing... I always liked Jones even his days in Houston.

Fraud charges

HOUSTON (AP) - Former NFL defensive lineman Sean Jones surrendered to the FBI on Thursday after he and four others were charged with bank fraud in an alleged scheme to pocket portions of more than $42 million in mortgage loans.

Jones, now a 45-year-old sports agent in Beverly Hills, Calif., played with the Los Angeles Raiders, Houston Oilers and Green Bay Packers from 1984-1996. According to a federal indictment unsealed Thursday, the men face 12 counts of bank fraud, which carry a penalty of up to 30 years in prison.
Prosecutors contend the men defrauded three Houston banks by acquiring mortgage loans far in excess of the properties' value and then diverting the money for personal use.

Also charged were Jerome Karam, an attorney and real estate developer; Tommy Jay Trammel and David Ranostaj, former loan officers with Southwest Bank of Texas, Bank of Houston and Whitney National Bank; and Jay Westrick, a real estate appraiser.

The indictment charges the men with colluding from 1999-2001 to acquire more than $42 million in loans based on false appraisals by Westrick and then divert the money to their personal accounts at closing.

Jones, Karam, Trammel and Ranostaj set up shell corporations to disguise their role in the enterprise, according to the indictment.

Federal officials say Trammel's and Ranostaj's role in the scheme was unknown to their supervisors at the banks.

Each of the men faces a maximum sentence of up to 30 years in federal prison and a fine of up to $1 million.

Jones played with the Raiders from 1984-1987, then joined the Oilers, where he played until his only Pro Bowl season in 1993. He went to Green Bay the following year and was on the Packers' Super Bowl-winning team in 1996.

Jones has been plagued with legal and financial problems in recent years. Arbitrator Roger Kaplan ruled in 2003 that Jones violated NFL Players Association rules in a financial arrangement he had with NFL player Ebenezer Ekuban, who later declared bankruptcy. Kaplan suspended Jones for two years, blocking him from representing NFL players until 2005.

Former Houston Oiler Cris Dishman also sued Jones and won $396,000 from him after a failed financial investment.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Geez.........what do these guys DO with the millions they made while playing!?!?
They must just **** it away or something. What they made in ONE year i could live off of for 10.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Green_Bay_Packers said:
i agree they would be getting payed a lot anyway so why use fraud ?
It seems that the more money people make, the more they waste, and the more they want.
GREED is the #1 problem i think.

PackFanInSC

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Geez.........what do these guys DO with the millions they made while playing!?!?
They must just **** it away or something. What they made in ONE year i could live off of for 10.

Cheesey,
So with the $5.75 Million a year that Ahman got from Houston (4 years/ $23 Million), you can only last 10 years??? That would mean that you need $575,000 a year to live. Has the cost of living (and taxes) in WI gone up that much??

Chamuko

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:

Cheesey,
So with the $5.75 Million a year that Ahman got from Houston (4 years/ $23 Million), you can only last 10 years??? That would mean that you need $575,000 a year to live. Has the cost of living (and taxes) in WI gone up that much??

1st.- Cheesey DONT PAY TAXES AT ALL.

2.- He lives a fancy life, he drives a nice Porsche and spend 6 evening a week at the upscale Strip joints in downtown GB,

So 575K a year is not that much !!!!

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anddon't forget his collection of bling...and the new grills. Dat **** ain't cheap, brother!

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:

Cheesey,
Geez.....where do i start!?!?!? LOLOLOL!!!
I was thinking along the lines of the players that make "only" a million dollars a year! I figure that would give me alot more then TWICE as much money a year then i have now. So i could "survive" on that! :thumbsup: :rotflmao:

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackFanInSC said:
cheesey said:

Cheesey,

1st.- Cheesey DONT PAY TAXES AT ALL.

2.- He lives a fancy life, he drives a nice Porsche and spend 6 evening a week at the upscale Strip joints in downtown GB,

So 575K a year is not that much !!!!
Oh yeah! I sit out on my back "porsche" all the time! And......are there even any strip clubs in GB??? I have no CLUE! :rotflmao:

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anddon't forget his collection of bling...and the new grills. Dat **** ain't cheap, brother!
The closest thing I have to "bling" is the foil off a stick of gum!
And grill? The only one i have is a 20 year old "smokey joe" Weber "grill!"
(I'm just glad i still have my own TEETH!) :rotflmao:

Members online

Latest posts