Seahawks Coach: A.J. Hawk "Doesn't Have It Anymore"

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don´t have any animosity towards A.J. Hawk but it was obvious to everyone following the Packers that the team needed an upgrade at ILB during last offseason. Thompson has to be blamed for not addressing the position at all.

Hello? Sam Barrington anyone? Sure, second year player, but still an obvious upgrade.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hello? Sam Barrington anyone? Sure, second year player, but still an obvious upgrade.

But in no way was he enough. Barrington might be starter material, but he might be a backup is all. The only guy that TT drafted last year at LB was Carl Bradford, and it was clear that he needed development especially since they wanted to move him from OLB to ILB.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
and who are the blind homers that are saying Hawk hasn't been declining? I've only been a member here for a couple months, but I can't say I remember a single post in that time where someone said Hawk was at the top of his game, or even close to it.

But I suspect your post was more about excusing your feelings about Hawk, so you can really let him have it :) It's ok, you're not a professional coach remember? You're already excused
If thats how you're going to talk about hawk you better invest in some knee pads

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Intelligence, consistency and durability. You can't have Ferraris at every position. You need an F-250 here and there.

I think a lot of the perceived disappointment around Hawk's career stems from the fact that you're hoping to get a Ferrari in the top 5 of the draft.

D

Deleted member 6794

Barrington is a better player than Hawk and Jones but in no way the obvious upgrade the Packers needed at the position last offseason.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think a lot of the perceived disappointment around Hawk's career stems from the fact that you're hoping to get a Ferrari in the top 5 of the draft.

Yeah, but he didn't draft himself, so how can be blamed for that?

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score

He can't. He did everything that was asked of him in his career within his abilities. Though never living up to his draft position he did help us win a Super Bowl. I just think they waited a year t0o long to move on from Hawk and Jones. That said, they may not have had a whole lot of a choice. The FA market last year wasn't rich with ILB's and when Shazier and Mosley didn't last to our spot but Clinton-Dix did, the choice was obvious, because safety was just as much of a need.

They'll cut ties with Hawk and Jones this year and save $7M+ and possibly used that money saved for an upgrade. I would have to think Barrington is probably the only piece they'll hold onto. A Day 1 or Day 2 pick in the draft is likely, and I think they'll consider options in March on the FA market or even a trade.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would have liked a Ray Lewis type linebacker too, and I"m not saying Hawk could have been him, but he never got to play behind the Ravens defensive line either.

But Hawk wasn't the "playmaker", he was the guy you put playmakers around. He was intelligent, did his job, dependable and always there. You can win a lot of games with players like Hawk and a few playmakers sprinkled around him. I don't know how many times I saw Woodson getting a sack on a blitz and there was Hawk taking up blockers so he got a free shot. You need those guys too. He was never fast and this year the drop off was pretty big. He couldn't even keep up with a headstart on the field anymore.

dbain21

Chicagoland Packer Fan
Reaction score
This is a bit like when you make fun or tease a brother or friend, and then when someone who is outside of your family or group of friends insults that person you say "whoa....you can't make fun of so-and-so...only I Can make fun of so-and-so" and you immediately come to their defense.
I pretty much agree with what he says...but dude back off you have no right to run your mouth off like that...focus on your own team. Sorry if anyone basically said the same thing... didn't really read the whole thread.

OP
OP
D

DaveRoller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Don't think anyone blames Hawk for his glaring lack of talent.

Think quite a few fans believe the tens of millions of dollars paid to Hawk could have been better spent.

That a player with such limited abilities was paid so much money is truly hard to believe. Not AJ's fault the Pack was willing to pay him like an All-Pro when he was never anything more than a journeyman.

However, at this point he is an absolute liability to the team and should be cut sooner rather than later.

G

GhostofCurly

This is just another reason why they have become my most hated team in the NFL, catapulting past the Bears and Cowboys. From their crying baby of a QB (yes, I'm from Wisconsin and never cared that he had a cup of coffee with the Badgers), to that gum chomping $#!thead of a coach Pete Carrol, to Schneider with his shirt off wearing a championship belt, to the f'ing LOB I hate them all. I will be the biggest Patriots fan in the world on Sunday and can't wait to play them next year.
Could not agree more. As much as it pains me............Go Patriots!

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is just another reason why they have become my most hated team in the NFL, catapulting past the Bears and Cowboys. From their crying baby of a QB (yes, I'm from Wisconsin and never cared that he had a cup of coffee with the Badgers), to that gum chomping $#!thead of a coach Pete Carrol, to Schneider with his shirt off wearing a championship belt, to the f'ing LOB I hate them all. I will be the biggest Patriots fan in the world on Sunday and can't wait to play them next year.

And they win, and are beloved and held up as the model for success in the media.
Like a friend of mine says, "It's a scumbag's world."

Members online