Scouting

paxvogel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Everyone wants to blame Sherman for bad drafts but at least part of the blame must go to the scouting department. Has there been any changes there under TT

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I haven't heard of any changes myself, and I thought they were necessary until I remembered reading, more than once, that MS trusted his own judgement more and tended to overrule advice. That would put the stigma on him, IMO.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cant blame the scouts for this:
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

I think the scouts have changed, I will try and find out.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I posted earlier that TED is likely to make changes after the draft but before the college season begins. Most likely June.

I won't say that the reasoning is TED putting his people in place. I do think changes need to be made. The Packers as a team had the lowest average Wonderlic score. Drafting guys who show up at the combine with drugs in their system(Hunt and Marshall) is not smart.

Why are "team player" kind of guys not wanted but loud mouthed characters like Carroll are?

Open your media guide. Take a look at who the scouts are, their experience, and areas covered. Perhaps a different mindset, or new blood is needed.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
John Dorsey
Director of College Scouting

John Dorsey, now in his 15th year in the NFL's player personnel world, this season enjoys year six as the Packers' director of college scouting - his third tenure in Green Bay.
----

Shaun Herock
Assistant Director of College Scouting

Shaun Herock, the Packers' longest-tenured college scout in terms of continuous service, begins his 13th season with Green Bay and his fifth year as the team's assistant director of college scouting.
----

Danny Mock
College Scouting Coordinator

Now enjoying his ninth season with the Packers, Danny Mock is responsible for a variety of scouting services as the team's college scouting coordinator. Mock's duties include tracking Green Bay's scouts who scour the country looking for players, assigning scouting visits to colleges and heading up the computer operations for the team's annual draft preparations.

(I wonder if he does any "Mock Drafts" mwuahaha...sorry cheesey..)
----

A lot of the scouts appear to be the same. To sherm+these guys credits, they did get guys like Javon and Barnett too.

Lets hope(thats all we CAN do) that the scouts+MM+TT do better than the previous coach.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No Tromdaz, those guys are management of the scouting.

I was pointing out the actual scouts.

Sullivan is new and I can't say anything. Most likely to be replaced is Gissendaner( a Sherman guy). Highsmith and McGill may go as they were hired by Wolfe at the end of his career and got little to no teaching from him.

Seale has seemed to do a good job but missed on James Lee.
Gutenkunst is good and made a gutsy call on Nick Collins who few thought the small school guy was worth a high pick.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lee Gissendaner
College Scout

Now in his fifth season as a college scout in the Northeast region, Lee Gissendaner begins his eighth season overall with the Green Bay Packers.
-----
Brian Gutekunst
College Scout

Enjoying his seventh season as a college scout with the Green Bay Packers, Brian Gutekunst begins year five scouring the all-important Southeast region. Previously a scout for the East coast for two years (1999-2000), Gutekunst was assigned his current responsibilities on May 15, 2001.
----
Alonzo Highsmith
College Scout

An NFL player for seven seasons, Alonzo Highsmith is now in his seventh year on the Green Bay Packers' college scouting staff, maintaining primary resp
----
Lenny McGill
College Scout

A former Packers cornerback and five-year NFL veteran, Lenny McGill is in his sixth season as a college scout for Green Bay. With emphasis primarily on the Central Plains region, he officially joined the team in an off-the-field capacity on Feb. 2, 2000.
----
Sam Seale
College Scout

Sam Seale, a 10-year NFL veteran as a player, heads into his 10th season of scouting college players for the Packers, his first position in player personnel. Maintaining primary focus on the West Coast region, he was hired on July 22, 1995.
----
Jon Eric Sullivan
Scout

Jon-Eric Sullivan in 2005 begins his second season as a college scout for the Packers. Sullivan serves as the team's representative to the National Football Scouting Combine and authors evaluations of all prospective seniors in the Midwest region.
--

there ya go.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From what I had heard, Sherman often overrode the scouts when he had one of his typical player fixations.

OP
OP
P

paxvogel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey California, Carroll is no loudmouth. He was considered the ultimate team player here at Arkansas and usually the first one in the weight room. Give the kid a break.

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Sherman was over ruling them and TT works with them maybe we have the right people.

I would tend to believe what was said about Sherman because of the 2 ***'t coaches that left and said as much afterwards.

ChuckSTG

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think last years draft showed good scouting. Had solid players all-around. I think the fact that TT was a scout before this helps us a lot. Knows what to look for aand all of that.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackerTraxx said:
If Sherman was over ruling them and TT works with them maybe we have the right people.

I would tend to believe what was said about Sherman because of the 2 ***'t coaches that left and said as much afterwards.

thats a great point. And as much as I like what TT has done so far, there is no guarantee that they wont overrule what the scouts say and everything. WE just have to hope they all work together. It seems they will, but we'll see.

Latest posts