Scouting Report for top 10 pass rushers @DE/OLB.

yallniggascheesewiz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This report will include pass rushers at DE who are projected to be OLB in a 3-4 scheme and 3-4 OLB prospects. I am not ranking them because it leaves too much room for pointless debates... consider the numbers they are listed at irrelevant. I'm not saying they're all 1st round picks either.

1. Nick Perry- Ready to start in the NFL due to his physical abilities. His sub 4.6, 4.57, 40 time and uncharacteristic quickness in his hips are uncommon for a player of his size and strength. He could stand to lose weight if he were to play OLB, which would increase his quickness as well. It remains to be seen if he can cover well enough to start at OLB in the NFL.
2. Courtney Upshaw- Also ready to start in NFL due to his physical traits and experience. His stock dropped at the combine, with a subpar 40 time, but his tape doesn't lie. He has a relentless motor and good instincts. Based on his experience he is the only OLB prospect ready to start and make an impact.
3. Melvin Ingram- Seen quite a bit of tape from him, and he does stand out as an elite pass rush threat. He was used primarily as a pass rusher, so I really see him as a DE or a OLB that only rushes the passer. I think he is a pure pass rusher and doesn't provide much of anything else.
4. Andre Branch- Decent speed for an OLB, but not great and needs to become a gym rat to bulk up.
5. Bruce Irvin- Tons of upside and has a great motor. Has great speed and is strong enough to match up with offensive linemen. From a pass rush standpoint this guy is a beast.
6. Whitney Mercilus- Has dominated games at times then falls off the cliff in others. His combine numbers are okay but not stellar. Definitely a good fit for OLB where he can rush the passer more.
7. Ronnell Lewis- Great motor, however his technique needs to be worked on.
8. Shea McClellin- Draft stock rising, but I'm not convinced he is elite. Strength needs to be improved if he wants to be a starter.
9. Zach Brown- Can't deny the speed. Strength and technique can be improved over time.
10. Oliver Vernon- really drops off when you get passed the listed ones, but this guy is a solid pass rusher. Overall speed is less than ideal, but his explosiveness off the ball will allow him to be effective inthe NFL.

As far as starting OLB in this draft I don't see many. Perry was never asked to cover at USC and almost everyone on this list is a "tweener." Like I said I see Upshaw being the only to start at OLB day one. Candidates I like are: Bruce Irvin, Andre Branch, McClellin, and Perry.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nick Perry is a DE, pure and simple. I heard him asked that question, and most guys would say they're fine with either.
But he said he's clearly preferred as a DE, not OLB, and when you see how huge his ***/legs are, you see a DE, not an OLB.

Much bigger than Lamar Woodley.

Shea McClellin is very similar to Clay Matthews and Brooks Reed.