scout.com reports packers have offered 1st and 4th for LJ!

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PACKERS MAKING A PLAY FOR L.J.?

Scout.com is reporting that the Packers have offered a first-round pick and a fourth-round pick to the Chiefs for running back Larry Johnson.

If true, the report is a stunner. Packers G.M. Ted Thompson doesn't like to pay big money to strangers to the team, and it's going to take really big money to keep Johnson beyond 2007, the last year of his rookie deal.

And if an offer that big has been made to the Chiefs for Johnson's rights, the Packers surely have reached a tentative agreement with Johnson's agent on a long-term deal. Otherwise, the Packers would be picking up Johnson for only one season before having to either use the franchise tag or let him walk away.

OP
OP
P

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: scout.com reports packers have offered 1st and 4th for L

Larry Johnson By Todd Korth
[email protected]
Date: Apr 26, 2007

PackerReport.com has confirmed that the Green Bay Packers have made an offer with the Kansas City Chiefs to acquire Larry Johnson. What are the Packers dangling in front of the Chiefs for the Pro Bowl running back? Read it here first, premium members!

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it'd believe this one a lot more than the Rodgers for Moss one. Thompson must really believe L.J. is THE guy to carry the offense when Favre retires and maybe is THE guy to get this team in the playoffs. If so then the report does make sense. However I hate to get my hopes up. :)

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
im gonna throw up. waste of money in our system.... say it aint so.

the only logic i can see here is a win now situation... (which i thought TT was against)

Using all the cap space Put Brett, LJ, Moss Driver Jennings and Franks on the same team and you have a scary good offense. to go along with our above average defense.

still i think hes gonna demand too much money.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
37 touchdowns in two years is hard not to like. Top it off with over 4,000 yards from scrimmage in those two years as well. That's combined. If this is true it certainly would be the BIG move that a lot of people been wanting Thompson to make and a bold one that could define his career as Packers GM.

I would assume that if the Chiefs accept the deal then the last thing to do is get a contract done with L.J. and the deal would then be finalized. NFL Live starts in about one hour. If this is true they will surely pickup on the story.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Johnson wants a HUGE contract, somewhere in the $80mil area. IMO, NO PLAYER is worth that! If TT pays it, he's putting his head in a noose. I, for one, just pray it doesn't happen. Why give up precious draft picks for a high mileage guy? He's a "me first" guy and not what we need in GB.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yea porky your right his production is hard to ignore.... ive just never seen anything he does as special. when you see film its justhim running up the middle in the Cheifs run happy system. and when anyone does that they are gonna rack up the yards.

But honestly we arent giving up that much. He basically becomes our 1st round draft pick and any money we would have spent on drafting Lynch can now go to his salary. the 4th is not a huge loss i dont guess... but Ted givin up draft picks ... wow.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
If this were to happen, the guaranteed money will be around the going rate which is 20 to 25 million over 3 to 4 years, so use him when he still has legs and then make some decisions in a couple of years on him. LT's contract which probably would be similar has I think 22 million guar'd over 3 years, with little cap hit to release him then.

Unless you hit your draft picks, it costs money to contend in this league. Plus this would give the Packers a nationally known face if Favre calls it quits after this year.

Factor in the fact this is a weak first round class, how much value really is in our pick this year?

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If this were to happen, the guaranteed money will be around the going rate which is 20 to 25 million over 3 to 4 years, so use him when he still has legs and then make some decisions in a couple of years on him. LT's contract which probably would be similar has I think 22 million guar'd over 3 years, with little cap hit to release him then.

Unless you hit your draft picks, it costs money to contend in this league. Plus this would give the Packers a nationally known face if Favre calls it quits after this year.

Factor in the fact this is a weak first round class, how much value really is in our pick this year?

You hit it on the head with the last line. I just don't see great value at #16 this year. Someone could jump up and have a fabulous career but there's not much steam with that pick IMO.

I would use #16 for a M. Turner or LJ in a HEARTBEAT.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i think this LJ deal may have popped up because of Adrian Petersons injury deal... meaning Lynch will be gone before we can get him. Which means theres nothing worth the money at 16... ive read on espn that Green bay would desperatly looking to move back and as warhawk said,,,, not a whole lot of bait to dangle there at 16... so maybe TT really did offer our first.

OregonPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was about to point that out, there are not a lot of players regarded as worthy first round prospects in this draft, if the Packers think all the players they regard as worthy first round picks, why not trade our first for Larry Johnson.

However I think a 1st and a 4th would be a lot for only Larry Johnson.

If we got Larry Johnson and their 2nd or 3rd pick I would be more than happy to trade our 1st and 4th.

Pack93z

Reaction score
Packnic, that is what makes this somewhat believable, I don't think Lynch will be there at 16.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
If we get rid of our 1st I think Ted has a lot of tricks up his sleeve and he thinks this is either a really weak draft or a draft he can get the most talent out of any pick he has. That doesn't make sense, when I'm done working I'll try to remember to make more sense of that lol

OP
OP
P

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score

why is everyone so concerned him the deal he wants? he wants close to LT money and he is easily the second best back in the NFL who has 1700+ yards the last 2 years. He is what 27 but he really only have like 2 (maybe 3 because of the amount on carries) years on his tires. he played behind a declining o-line, Give the man money and you will be creating a monster!

Pack93z

Reaction score

why is everyone so concerned him the deal he wants? he wants close to LT money and he is easily the second best back in the NFL who has 1700+ yards the last 2 years. He is what 27 but he really only have like 2 (maybe 3 because of the amount on carries) years on his tires. he played behind a declining o-line, Give the man money and you will be creating a monster!

I tried to make that argument yesterday, why everyone is so down on LJ. I say make the deal and let him run.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
as if everyone can sit and watch tv right now. i have class at 2:00 and have homework due... homework that will NOT be turned in during class today, haha.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we get rid of our 1st I think Ted has a lot of tricks up his sleeve and he thinks this is either a really weak draft or a draft he can get the most talent out of any pick he has. That doesn't make sense, when I'm done working I'll try to remember to make more sense of that lol

I was actually starting to resolve myself to what pick we could make at #16 because TT wouldn't normally do something like this. When he said the other day "a couple" of teams had called about trading I said to myself that ain't good. Not nearly enough interest.

If this is, in fact is true, I believe TT has done what many of us here have basically done trying to figure this draft out. Thrown our hands in the air and said "I give".

I know I have been really grinding trying to figure out how we can expect to get a whole lot better thru this draft. Not enough fire power for me.

I mean we hear talk about Greg freaking Olsen for crying out loud. The first TE taken last year could pick him up, throw him out of the stadium, and run and catch him before he hit the ground.

Last years talent blows this year's right out of the water. Next years will too. This is a sandwich year for the draft.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wanna puke. He's a serious elite RB, but guys that run like him, as much as he has, and as hard as him don't have a great history of staying in the elite company for very long.

The big difference between him and Moss is that LJ is at a much heavier impact position.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i think this kills the moss theory if its true.

no way TT sells a 1st rounder, a 3rd rounder and a 4th rounder... unless he is just absolutely critical of this draft.

that would leave us with a 2nd rounder, a 5th 6th and 3 7th rounders.

not a lot of trade bait really to move up or aquire more picks. and definetly not in the past style of TT. but i have been wrong before.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well ESPN has said nothing about it so it's either false or they are looking into it now. NFL Network has said nothing either as far as I know.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NFL Network is showing old combine footage right now.... so i wouldnt look there latebreakin news.

and i dont think this NFL Live is actually Live... its taped from last night at 7:30

i think any big info will come at either ATH, PTI or Sportscenter... and if none of that then at 7:30 on NFL ACTUALLY LIVE.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i think this kills the moss theory if its true.

no way TT sells a 1st rounder, a 3rd rounder and a 4th rounder... unless he is just absolutely critical of this draft.

that would leave us with a 2nd rounder, a 5th 6th and 3 7th rounders.

not a lot of trade bait really to move up or aquire more picks. and definetly not in the past style of TT. but i have been wrong before.

Only for now maybe. If this is true the Pack will likely sit back and wait for Moss to not agree to lower his contract and force Oakland to cut him in August.

Then we get 'em both.

Staff online

Members online