1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

scottish independance

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by scotscheese, Sep 19, 2014.

1. scotscheese

scotscheese Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +337
    for those of you in the know, or not

for the last two years, the SNP(Scottish National Party) have been campaigning in preparation to the Scottish referendum on whether Scotland should become an independant country or not. and leave the United kingdom.

in the early hours of this morning, it became apparent that we, the Scottish people, have rejected being an independant country, with 55% of the voting public answering with NO.

just seeing if there is any general discussion, that some may wish to partake in

2. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,273
    as long as nothing disrupts the scotch shipments coming to WI im indifferent on the topic

• Like Like x 1
  3. TJV

TJV Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +4,176
    scotscheese, what did/do you see as the arguments for and against? How did you vote, if you don't mind saying?

I know some in the US believe it would have been disruptive (for us) for Scotland to break away but I didn't hear/read a persuasive argument as to why that would be. I was also surprised to read that Scotland was a net tax receiver - IOW that it receives more in taxes back from London than the taxes it pays. I thought the stereotype of the Scottish people was fiercely independent and thrifty. But then there's the oil and gas reserves in the North Sea off the coast of Scotland. If Scotland were independent the tax revenues of those reserves would provide a lot of money, but I know they have been incredibly depleted.

But those are just financial concerns. I was somewhat surprised to see the margin of victory for the no vote, I thought national pride may swing the election the other way. It looks like national pride in Scotland extends to the United Kingdom.

Anyway, I’m interested to know how you view it.

4. Forget Favre

Forget Favre Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,791
    I wonder what Mel Gibson thinks of this?

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. scotscheese

scotscheese Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +337
    Well ThxJack

I voted Yes

I was very much undecided until about a month ago. my main view was that maybe full Independance would not have been the answer, as much as i think Scotland could be a succsesful Independant country, i still think that being part of the union would also have had it's benefits in the greater scheme of things.

the oil/taxes/currency/net tax receiver; all these depend on who you want to believe. the UK's nuclear weapons are also based in Scotland which was one of the Yes campaigns main arguements(to get these removed back to England)

the main reason i then edged to a yes vote was the manner of the No campaign, they seemed to me to be using scare-tactics, and seemed to be underhanded, and then as they began to panic, they tried offering more devolved powers to Scotland as a last resort(this type of thing/offer should have been in their white paper at the start of the campaign)

overall i was a bit disapointed, but not so much as to throw myself off the nearest cliff/bridge

the UK govt leader david cameron, today promised the devolved Scottish govt more ppowers to be stamped by next march(i think) he is going to have to work very hard at this as his party members are not very happy at not being properly consulted before offering us this(and in their eyes more money than Scotland deserves)

no doubt i will add a bit more to this as i have a bit more time to think about it, but this is a good start

6. scotscheese

scotscheese Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +337
    Forget Gibson FF

7. scotscheese

scotscheese Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +337
    also i stayed away from discussing my own feelings on the likes of FB and forums due to, in my eyes, it being a private decision, but now all the hoo-ha's over i'm happy to speak about it

8. TJV

TJV Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +4,176
    Thanks scotcheese, I appreciate your perspective. (BTW, I meant to include the disclaimer that nothing I wrote was meant to offend and that it was only what I've heard and read.) I would appreciate a translation of the following: Cameron ... "promised the devolved Scottish govt more powers to be stamped by next march." I'm not sure what "powers to be stamped" means; is it giving the Scottish government more autonomy? Also, again if you don't mind, what do you think of Cameron generally?

9. Vltrophy

Vltrophy Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +400
    Not happening. Don't want it bad enough or scared of change

10. Forget Favre

Forget Favre Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,791
    Right and I will sugartits.

11. weeds

weeds Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,230
    You would then be enthralled ... ENTHRALLED, I SAY ... by the campaigns being waged in Wisconsin media these days... throw enough crap against a wall and hope that something sticks. Thing is, most people for one reason or another, make decisions on who to vote for based on this 'stuff' and from nowhere else.

12. lamboscotland

lamboscotland Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6
    morning all .... first off here's hoping for divisional wins in next few weeks. think

as far as the referendum went, totally disillusioned here. How many countries have had the chance to democratically vote for independence ... then turn it down. Think too many believed the lies from the Westminster establishment about increased powers that would be granted to Scotland that were only offered in a panic two weeks before the vote rather than being on the table years ago.

less than 24 hours after the referendum, it appears that the changes won't go through as promised ... what a surprise!

one good thing was the involvement in the country as a whole ... 85% turnout to vote was a remarkable achievement ... and probably down to the fact that it wasn't a choice between one shite politician or a slightly less shite politician ... but was a fundamental point of principle.

independence issue hasn't gone away ... just put on hold for a wee while!

Go Pack Go ....... Go Scotland Go

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. PackerFan71

PackerFan71 Sideshow Bob to the Rescue!

Ratings:
    +1,277
    What other country would have said no to its own independence at the check of a box? Only us. The whole UK social media were against it from the start and their main weapon was fear.

Regarding the changes they will not go through that was a bribe, but the majority fell for it. It's not the end of the matter though, because people have long memories and at any future vote this will be remembered and it will come back to bite Westminster in the rear.

Same sh1t different day..........

Last edited: Sep 20, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 2
  14. Green_Bay_Packers

Green_Bay_Packers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +113
    I wish they would have gone but to be honest didn't really care if they stayed or went haha

15. PackerFan71

PackerFan71 Sideshow Bob to the Rescue!

Ratings:
    +1,277
    We will be gone soon enough, here's another one that wont be caring hahaha

16. weeds

weeds Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,230
    Hey... where you been?

17. Green_Bay_Packers

Ratings:
    +113
    Haha lol
    I've been really busy with life haha :)
    I noticed how little I had been on here
    Will try and be more active I promise

• Like Like x 1
  18. scotscheese

scotscheese Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +337
    no offense taken here.

yeah, the more powers promised is to give the scottish govt more autonomy, but as said they haven't confirmed what powers they will be, and by all looks of it, the UK govt have already went back on their word on this, but don't quote me on that.

David "call me Dave" Cameron, is a typical posh politician ****, who thinks that he is down with the general population, and imo this makes him worse

19. scotscheese

scotscheese Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +337
    any honest opinion on the referendum? i've been curious to hear what some English views are about the whole thing?

cheers

20. Green_Bay_Packers

Ratings:
    +113
    To be fair it was quite funny because if they went would they had to get the euro
    All the big companies I heard they would leave Scotland and a lot of companies had left and gone to England
    It just seemed like a cry for attention from Scotland haha :D

21. Vltrophy

Vltrophy Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +400
    Scottish Independence. Is this a name off whiskey? Jk

22. scotscheese

scotscheese Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +337
    just for the record, no;)

and scottish Whisky has no E, whiskey only applies to american and irish whiskeys. why i've no real idea, i did read something a while back but can't remember why

23. realcaliforniacheese

realcaliforniacheese A-Rods Boss

Ratings:
    +966
    Just be thankful you don't live in Texas. I understand the Scot's wanting independence. Having done two tours in the UK and seeing the differences in the two cultures. Had one of the best nights of my life in Edinburgh on New Years Eve in 1975. I do think it would have been a financial disaster for Scotland. Like it or not your joined at the hip with England. Kinda like we're joined at the hip with Texas.