scott Wells gets new deal

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
From jsonline

TUESDAY, Nov. 7, 2006, 9:25 a.m.
By Tom Silverstein

Packers extend Wells' contract
Green Bay - The Green Bay Packers have rewarded center Scott Wells for his steady performance this season with a multi-year contract extension that will keep him from becoming a restricted free agent in the off-season.

With more than $7 million of salary cap room available, the Packers moved to get Wells signed to a long-term deal before the end of the season so they could count some of the contract against the 2006 salary cap. The Packers have until next Monday to apply new contract money to their '06 cap and worked over the past few weeks to get Wells signed.

An NFL source with ties to the players union said he was made aware of the agreement late Monday night, but did not have details of the contract. It's unclear whether the deal has actually been signed or only agreed upon.

No announcement has been made and attempts to reach Wells and his agent were unsuccessful Tuesday.

The Packers identified Wells as one of the young players it wanted to get signed long-term after he grabbed ahold of the starting center position and became one of the most consistent players on the offensive line. Wells had two snapping snafus Sunday against Buffalo that led to two turnovers, but on Monday offensive coordinator Jeff Jagodzinski said he had complete faith in Wells.

"Scott Wells is as dependable and trustworthy a player as we have on offense. I told him that today," Jagodzinski said. "I trust that guy as much as I do anybody on this football team to do the right thing. It was unfortunate that it happened yesterday."

Wells, 25, was entering the final year of a three-year contract signed after he was selected in the seventh round of the 2004 draft. Wells' current deal called for him to earn a base salary of $425,000, half of which he has already earned.

The new deal will call for him to earn significantly more in base salary and will place him under contract for the next couple of seasons. Had he not completed a deal, Wells would have been a restricted free agent after the season and eligible to negotiate with any team in the league.

The Packers are probably not done extending the contracts of possible free agents. Players who may wind up getting new deals include running back Ahman Green and tight end David Martin.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i enjoy this signing. Wells has had some mistakes this season, no doubt about it, but he is in his 3rd year and is already a solid center, just think how good he will be in the future, as well as when the rookies to his sides get better to and he doesnt have to overcompensate.

this is sure to **** off Al harris though.

GakkofNorway

Cheesehead
Reaction score
let Harris rot for a year in GB, see how many who wants to sign a washed out 33 year old who hasn't played football for a year.

muhahahahahahahaha

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am glad to see Wells get a new deal. He was one of the guys I wanted to see get signed long term. The other for me is Al Harris. Like him or not he is a much better CB than anyone not named Charles Woodson on this team. If we do let him go then we definately need to sign a CB for next year and it'll hit the cap. If we can sign Harris this year yet I believe (could be wrong) the number could count on this year and not next year giving us more cap room for next off-season.

Wells, Colledge, Moll, and Spitz are all young and should be here for a long time. Ted Thompson might not of done a nice job via free agency in replacing the offensive line but through the Draft it appears he's found 3 nice young players and has kept another.

Yared-Yam

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I love Wells. I think he's our best lineman right now. Slightly edging Tausch.

Kind of bad timing for it, but no one will be thinking that at the end of the year.

Now about Sir Harris...

TheStone

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good signing.
I enjoy watching his rise from a 7th round draft choice to a now
solid center and to a future key-player on our o-line

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like the signing as WELL (no pun intended) but the timing seems curious. After two botched snaps this weekend....both of which were mental mistakes, it seems odd. When is the last day you can extend a contract and include it on this years cap? I think the Packers will do it again. Maybe Al Harris?

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Packers | Team agrees to contract extension with Wells
Tue, 7 Nov 2006 20:58:53 -0800

The Associated Press reports the Green Bay Packers have agreed to a five-year, $15 million contract extension with C Scott Wells, according to a source familiar with the negotiations. The deal includes $5 million in bonuses, which will take effect after the 2006 season.

PackinSteel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nothing against the signing - he's certainly been a bright spot on the line. However, I thought the timing rather odd.

(From NFL.com article)
...Wells took the blame for two fumbled snaps in the Packers' loss to the Buffalo Bills on Sunday but has earned praise from coaches in his first full season as a starting center in the NFL.

Not often you screw up that bad at work and get a raise and a big attaboy the next week :rubeyes:

mikegrubiak

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nothing against the signing - he's certainly been a bright spot on the line. However, I thought the timing rather odd.

(From NFL.com article)
...Wells took the blame for two fumbled snaps in the Packers' loss to the Buffalo Bills on Sunday but has earned praise from coaches in his first full season as a starting center in the NFL.

Not often you screw up that bad at work and get a raise and a big attaboy the next week :rubeyes:

Good point.

Hope something can be worked out with Al Harris though. :thumbsup:

mikegrubiak

Cheesehead
Reaction score
let Harris rot for a year in GB, see how many who wants to sign a washed out 33 year old who hasn't played football for a year.

muhahahahahahahaha

That approach helped with Javon now, didn't it?

I don't agree with that at all. Who's better than Harris right now in GB?

I don't understand this desire to get rid of good players. :whippin:

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Woodson is better. Its not that we want to get rid of him but we dont want to overpay a 33 year old CB. The thing about Javon is he would still be in GB if he wouldnt have got hurt, because im sure he would have had atleast a 1000 yard season again and therefore during the season he would have gotten his money.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score

(From NFL.com article)

You have to remember contract negotiations go on for weeks and sometimes months especially during the season. They were undoubtedly in talks for a while. Definitely before the Buffalo Bills game. It's just coincidental that the deal got done right Scott Wells having a poor game. It's not like they started Sunday Night with negotiations. I would say at least a few weeks.

ChrisC

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is excellent news on Scotty Wells! We needed to lock him up. :thumbsup:

Sure wish we could sign Al Harris - time for some diplomacy here. Surely we don't want another Walker / McKenzie situation?

Hadn't noticed we were that deep at CB!

Chris

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While it was needed, it almost had to happen. Who else would play Center?

There is not much as a backup. A true Center will have to be drafted if Coston is never going to get a shot at the position.

Cap space and draft picks are needed for the secondary.
(FB, WR, and RB as well)
There is much to be done this upcoming offseason and this signing takes an item off the list.

ChrisC

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From the Press-Gazette

"[Scott Wells' agent, Brian] Parker said.

'Scott is ecstatic. He has really grown to have an appreciation for the city and the organization.'"

Good to know! :)

Chris

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
so wells\colledge\spitz will hold down the interior of the line for years, which is good, cuz they're turning into a real solid interior 3, which is happening sooner than I thought, which is good!

GakkofNorway

Cheesehead
Reaction score
GakkofNorway said:

muhahahahahahahaha

I guarantee you, Al Harris wil suck bigtime next season!

DeusNova

Cheesehead
Reaction score
mikegrubiak said:
GakkofNorway said:

muhahahahahahahaha

I disagree that he will 'suck'. However, I'm not so sure about giving him a long term deal at his age. Besides, he has like 3 years left on his deal or whatever.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
so wells\colledge\spitz will hold down the interior of the line for years, which is good, cuz they're turning into a real solid interior 3, which is happening sooner than I thought, which is good!

I think Colledge is going to be moved to LT and Spitz to LG with Moll at RG. That would be my best guess. Maybe not next year but sooner than most probably think especially with Clifton's average at best play this year.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
GakkofNorway said:
mikegrubiak said:
GakkofNorway said:

muhahahahahahahaha

I disagree that he will 'suck'. However, I'm not so sure about giving him a long term deal at his age. Besides, he has like 3 years left on his deal or whatever.

Donald Driver is only a year or two younger and they paid him. In fact like Driver, Harris sat the bench for while and his body probably isn't as worn down as most 30 year old Corners in the league. If they let Harris go it'll be a mistake.

Members online

Latest posts