Schottenheimer Pass Defense

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Over 350 yards of passing. 2 Passing TD's.

Horn had a 57 yard pass reception.
Colston a 35 yard reception.
Campbell had a 33 yard reception.
Henderson a 26 yard reception.

Those 4 plays were over 150 yards. Yes Collins fell down once but the play of Manuel and Collins in this defense of Schottenheimer's must be improved. The Safeties have to be making plays not just hanging around on the field.

The Packers have given up 60 points in 2 games. The play of the safeties is the weak spot, worse than the O-line.

yourout

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree. Both seemed to get picked on at times but at least Collins made some plays. Manual was invisible.

Timmons

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Poppinga cost us many of those yards over two games. That's too bad cause I enjoy watching him play. I would say that our pass d sucks due to safeties and Pop.

Woodson showed up today, and that was good to see. I was sad to see collins get burned in the end zone as I think he's got a bright future.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yourout said:
I agree. Both seemed to get picked on at times but at least Collins made some plays. Manual was invisible.

Manuel was the guy running five yards behind the Saints player with the ball (so he should have been visible from an end zone shot). I can see why this guy couldn't beat out Roman in Cincy.

Canadian packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wonder if Bates would come back? Give him anything he wants.... The Defense did look good in the 1st Quarter but looked like they ran out of stream....I thought this was a young team?

umair

Cheesehead
Reaction score
we gave up over 20 unanswered points.

we had a very good chance of winning but we kept makeing mistakes.

Reaction score
I can't figure out for the life of me why Schot. is still here.

Interesting thing to note is that Collins looked amazing last year, but this year with Schot. as the DB coach, does anyone else get the feeling he has regressed?

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Timmons said:
Poppinga cost us many of those yards over two games. That's too bad cause I enjoy watching him play. I would say that our pass d sucks due to safeties and Pop.

Woodson showed up today, and that was good to see. I was sad to see collins get burned in the end zone as I think he's got a bright future.

Collins' tackle of Reggie Bush looked beautiful. Looking forward to seeing Collins play in the future. I agree, he has promise.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What needs to be done - the Packer coverage is horrible. Run defense is excellent. What I'm seeing is opposing QBs have too much time. Give any QB in the NFL five seconds to throw and he's going to look good.

We need to blitz more. Remember how Bates had Harris blitzing? We need to do that. Heck, have Manuel blitz because we all know he can't cover.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This teams problem is the safties. The Corners played a pretty decent game but the safties continue to get beat. Manuel just can't cover and in passing downs he should be out of the game. Collins is just inconsistent in pass coverage. Without any good safety help, any secondary will struggle and GB is a prime example right now.

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm just wondering why everyone is blaming everybody but the DC at this point. Why isn't Sanders being blamed for this defensive disaster?

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
lionel washington and schottenheimer are the villains.

ive wanted lionel fired for yeeeaaars.

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know how much we can fully blame Sanders. Our run defense seems to be doing well, but our pass defense is atrocious. Even when the Saints were ahead and could run clock by running the football they elected to pass and wisely so.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lare said:
I'm just wondering why everyone is blaming everybody but the DC at this point. Why isn't Sanders being blamed for this defensive disaster?

Sanders is a good coach. He works with the LB's and DL and they look good. His big problem might be calling plays on defense. I'd like to see more nickel with Hawk and Barnett on the field than regular base defense. I also don't like much dime with you got guys as athletic as Barnett and Hawk.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
he's a DC learning on the job too, like MM.

MM on a whole improved.

Sanders didn't do much to improve the pass D. His run D was awesome though.

next week!

PackerChick

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Canadian packer said:
I wonder if Bates would come back? Give him anything he wants.... The Defense did look good in the 1st Quarter but looked like they ran out of stream....I thought this was a young team?

do you think that bates could ever come back? He must be bitter after being passed over like he was.

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:
Lare said:

Sanders is a good coach. He works with the LB's and DL and they look good. His big problem might be calling plays on defense. I'd like to see more nickel with Hawk and Barnett on the field than regular base defense. I also don't like much dime with you got guys as athletic as Barnett and Hawk.

Good thoughts, Porky. Schott and Washington definately are not pulling their weight right now.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
if bates was as smart as he thinks he is.. he would have stayed as the DC.
now hes not working anywhere, i liked the guy and if sanders doesnt make us a top notch D... then i would love to see him back.

but he didnt stay, and i liked bates for the job. He aint the coach now... so go McCarthy and Go Sanders. be a fan for god sakes.

Canadian packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am a fan but hate losing.... I hate most the packers are are losing to teams at home. I also like to see moves that make sense and would benefit us in the long run.... I don't see that with TT running things

OP
OP
C

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packnic said:
if bates was as smart as he thinks he is.. he would have stayed as the DC.
now hes not working anywhere,

The Packers are paying Jim Bates 900 Thousand Dollars this year to fufill his contract. Jim Bates is being paid and doesn't have to work. He is not jumping on any old job just to have one.

The collapse of the Packer defense(60 points in 2 games) only makes Jim look better. He said he would be looking for the right situation to coach next year. If no situation is to his liking he may sit longer.

spardo62

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Schottenheimer seems to be a horrible coach, and he is proving it for the 2nd time in Green Bay.

That being said, Poppinga is really a liability in the pass game right now, with tight ends running wild with him in coverage. Also, the lack of consistant pass rush from the defensive line is putting additional pressure on our defensive secondary, further exposing weakness at the safety position.

My question from yesterday, is why was Carroll left in the game after the injury. The Saints immediately picked on him for a TD.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
spardo62 said:
My question from yesterday, is why was Carroll left in the game after the injury. The Saints immediately picked on him for a TD.

I didn't understand that either. I thought players HAD to leave for at least one play when the game had to be stopped for an injury. The only explanation I can think of is that the Packers burned a timeout, allowing Carroll to stay on the field after his injury. Why would they do this? Because we have such a lack of depth at that position. I think our #4 CB is Jarrett Bush.

Members online

Latest posts