Savage, Dillon, Gary = Collins, Starks, Zombo...but BETTER

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nahh, Gary the only one cause Zombo isn't a very high bar to cross. Collins was an elite free safety; Savage might get there but he's not quite to that other yet.

Collins was playing at a Hall of Fame level, he had turned into the Ed Reed of the NFC. That being said while Savage isn't the equal of Collins, either he or Amos is a hell of a lot better than Charlie Peprah.

We will see what Dillon can do, but what he was doing to the Titans was a DCs nightmare. Take away Jones 59 yards and he's at less than4 ypc. Take away Dillon 30 yard long and he's at 4.7 ypc, thats clockwork move the sticks rushing. The crazy part is that he kept producing even when they put 8 and 9 in the box. What's scary is when we go single back with Dillon in the backfield, he ran out of those sets like a freight train. So what does a DC do, either you rush your ends to pressure Roders and create gaps for a 250 pound bull to charge into your defensive guts or you bunch your line and give Rodgers even more time to throw. Dillon looks like the type of back who punishes defenses.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Starks was good for the run but I liked Lacy better....Dillon will probably be WAYYYY better than both. After watching him, his ceiling looks WAYYYYYY higher. He is also bigger than Lacy

Its not just the size but the schematic fit as well, Lacy was a slow to the line let the blocks develop and then attack kind of back who was at his best out of dedicated run sets like I-form and pro style. While Dillon is just a one cut and up North South runner. Whereas Lacy was decidedly meh rushing out of passing sets Dillon looked like a bull on amphetamines, especially when attacking the gaps out of single back draw plays. He could be the perfect back to compliment Rodgers.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Collins was playing at a Hall of Fame level, he had turned into the Ed Reed of the NFC. That being said while Savage isn't the equal of Collins, either he or Amos is a hell of a lot better than Charlie Peprah.

We will see what Dillon can do, but what he was doing to the Titans was a DCs nightmare. Take away Jones 59 yards and he's at less than4 ypc. Take away Dillon 30 yard long and he's at 4.7 ypc, thats clockwork move the sticks rushing. The crazy part is that he kept producing even when they put 8 and 9 in the box. What's scary is when we go single back with Dillon in the backfield, he ran out of those sets like a freight train. So what does a DC do, either you rush your ends to pressure Roders and create gaps for a 250 pound bull to charge into your defensive guts or you bunch your line and give Rodgers even more time to throw. Dillon looks like the type of back who punishes defenses.

Agreed. He looks like Corey Dillon, who was a pretty good power back with limited passing game upside. Corey had seven 1,000+ rushing yards seasons but never caught more than 31 passes. So far, AJ looks similar.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed. He looks like Corey Dillon, who was a pretty good power back with limited passing game upside. Corey had seven 1,000+ rushing yards seasons but never caught more than 31 passes. So far, AJ looks similar.

AJ literally just had 3 passes in a snow globe of a game, one of which was a very tough underthrown ball. Scouts and a few of us hear told folks Dillon had hands and looks very natural with them, he just never was asked to use them at BC.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
AJ literally just had 3 passes in a snow globe of a game, one of which was a very tough underthrown ball. Scouts and a few of us hear told folks Dillon had hands and looks very natural with them, he just never was asked to use them at BC.
agree, he may have had a lot of passes, but I don't know how anyone can see that big man and how he catches the ball and call it "limited". He may not be a WR, but his hands look to be pretty good and as far as RB's go, i wouldn't call him limited. looks very natural catching the ball.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score

CoreyDillon was a markedly smaller back with a lot more stop and go with lateral movement. To me AJ is Lagarrette Blount 2.0 with more burst overall speed and more ability in the passing game. I also think that he resembles John Riggins, a big fast powerful man whose long stride threwoff pursuit angles and could leave defenders tackling air and dirt with subtle cuts and changes in direction.

Last edited:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
You have to remember that it took Collins until his fourth season with the Packers to perform at an elite level.
Agree. IMO, Woodson turned Collins into an excellent safety. It didn’t happen overnight just like it doesn’t happen overnight for just about every player in the league. Most team’s core of star players are going to be age 25-28. It takes awhile. People need to be patient with guys like Savage, Gary, Tongan, Scantling and Dillon. Very few humans possess the combination of skills and natural athletic ability of Charles Woodson. Our young first contract guys are progressing nicely. Kudo’s go to the scouts and coaching staff for finding and developing these guys. We’re going to be fine going forward IMO.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agree. IMO, Woodson turned Collins into an excellent safety. It didn’t happen overnight just like it doesn’t happen overnight for just about every player in the league. Most team’s core of star players are going to be age 25-28. It takes awhile. People need to be patient with guys like Savage, Gary, Tongan, Scantling and Dillon. Very few humans possess the combination of skills and natural athletic ability of Charles Woodson. Our young first contract guys are progressing nicely. Kudo’s go to the scouts and coaching staff for finding and developing these guys. We’re going to be fine going forward IMO.

It was the film room advice, apparently Collins used to try and figure every play an opposing team might use. Woodson told him to key on just a few, and to react aggressively once he identified something on the field.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Sure, he could. I also hope for things I've never seen too, but I rarely count on them.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
agree, he may have had a lot of passes, but I don't know how anyone can see that big man and how he catches the ball and call it "limited". He may not be a WR, but his hands look to be pretty good and as far as RB's go, i wouldn't call him limited. looks very natural catching the ball.

Everyone's right. He's basically the hybrid love child of Adrian Peterson and Christian Mccaffrey. He has no holes in his game. He's perfect....

Seriously, the expectations some people have for this guy are a little crazy.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Everyone's right. He's basically the hybrid love child of Adrian Peterson and Christian Mccaffrey. He has no holes in his game. He's perfect....

Seriously, the expectations some people have for this guy are a little crazy.
kind of like some people feel about Rodgers.

P.s.... yes I know the comparison is ridiculous.... but the way certain people form an unwavering opinion about a player is as well.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sure, he could. I also hope for things I've never seen too, but I rarely count on them.

Never seen? Tons of footage of him excelling in receiving drills. Scouts even stated in analysis of him he is natural with hands despite the offense at BC not having that facet used at all.

He has always shown soft hands since being with GB, in preseason and in season.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Never seen? Tons of footage of him excelling in receiving drills. Scouts even stated in analysis of him he is natural with hands despite the offense at BC not having that facet used at all.

I know. He's flawless.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know. He's flawless.

Absolutely not.

Fluidity or the lack of it is immense with him, no top flight speed and he can be a bruiser to a fault. Just to name a couple. Oh and pass blocking needs improved as well.

I was only taking contentions with folks acting like he has cinder blocks as hands and it isnt even something he can do.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Absolutely not.

Fluidity or the lack of it is immense with him, no top flight speed and he can be a bruiser to a fault. Just to name a couple. Oh and pass blocking needs improved as well.

I was only taking contentions with folks acting like he has cinder blocks as hands and it isnt even something he can do.

30 catches isn't cinder block. It's dump off; i.e., coaches aren't designing plays with him as a primary receiving option.

D

Deleted member 6794

Preseason??? There weren't any preseason games this year.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

Plus I doubt savage goes out on a 3 days before a huge playoff game smokes weed, gets drunk and tries to get women to come home with him..then said play off game gets torched

I bet savage studies more than pep

D

Deleted member 6794

The word preseason literally means the period of time before the season started. No there weren’t any games, but the Packers did hold practices.

True, but it's close to impossible to evaluate a running back in practice.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Plus I doubt savage goes out on a 3 days before a huge playoff game smokes weed, gets drunk and tries to get women to come home with him..then said play off game gets torched

I bet savage studies more than pep

Max McGee would have.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Its not just the size but the schematic fit as well, Lacy was a slow to the line let the blocks develop and then attack kind of back who was at his best out of dedicated run sets like I-form and pro style. While Dillon is just a one cut and up North South runner. Whereas Lacy was decidedly meh rushing out of passing sets Dillon looked like a bull on amphetamines, especially when attacking the gaps out of single back draw plays. He could be the perfect back to compliment Rodgers.
Max McGee would have.
lmao!!

Members online