Sandolf introduction. Please vote.

Sandolf should...

• leave the board as this forum is only for Packers fans.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • stay on, but exclusively as a clown for our amusement.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well... after just this one post an ice storm knocked out the power and it took 34 hours for it to be restored. The place is heating up again.
34 hours without power? :eek:
Unbelieveable for countries like Canada or the USA though I know your storms are much heavier what we usually got here in Europe.
Some time ago I read that North American power grids and transmission lines are vulnerable to extreme weather because they are outdated?

OP
OP
Sandolf

Sandolf

Blue Moon Rising
Reaction score
Some time ago I read that North American power grids and transmission lines are vulnerable to extreme weather because they are outdated?

This is true nessie, but people here don't like being told their society is primitive compared to the old country. There is still a lot of overhead electrical power in Toronto. The ice storms take down the trees which in turn take down the power lines. But in Germany you are dealing with almost 100% buried cable... (excepting the high tension lines which were not the problem here).

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
34 hours without power? :eek:
Unbelieveable for countries like Canada or the USA though I know your storms are much heavier what we usually got here in Europe.
Maybe after the next major conflict, our infrastructure, cities, homes, etc will be destroyed and you can come over here and pay to rebuild with the latest state of the art equipment. Or maybe pay to be global policeman to keep raw material supply lines open and relatively cheap for everyone while we spend our tax dollars to upgrade our infrastructure. This isn't the thread to go on further with this. 24-36 hours without power is on the long side of normal storm damage. 12-24 is more like it.

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is true nessie, but people here don't like being told their society is primitive compared to the old country. There is still a lot of overhead electrical power in Toronto. The ice storms take down the trees which in turn take down the power lines. But in Germany you are dealing with almost 100% buried cable... (excepting the high tension lines which were not the problem here).
That wasnt my intention Sandolf, sorry.
I just was suprised that it took 34 hours to restore electrical power because as I said we dont know that here in Germany and you might be right that it has mainly to do with the fact that we have our cables buried.
And what I was referring to was an article I read after Hurricane Sandy and the damages caused by this storm and the problems they had because of the outdated infrastructure. I guess it was a Spiegel article....
@ Poppa San: Im a little surprised by your reaction because I didnt mean to offend you.
And before coming across the pond to rebuild or improve your infrastructure I'd prefer to do this with our own. ;)
German "Autobahn" for example, a joke nowadays. More and more speed limits because of unbelieveable bad road conditions. Driving fast without speed limits on German Autobahn - a fairy tale. :rolleyes:
Or broadband-internet - still many villages and rural ares are still without it, another problem we have to face. :cautious:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sandolf

Sandolf

Blue Moon Rising
Reaction score
That wasnt my intention Sandolf, sorry.
I just was suprised that it took 34 hours to restore electrical power because as I said we dont know that here in Germany and you might be right that it has mainly to do with the fact that we have our cables buried.
And what I was referring to was an article I read after Hurricane Sandy and the damages caused by this storm and the problems they had because of the outdated infrastructure. I guess it was a Spiegel article....

haha... no need to apologize. I say the same things all of the time... (so I was just basically agreeing with you). There is some great natural beauty to this country and a broad cultural diversity... but unfortunately... that is about it. Politically, technically, economically, etc... it is a dump. People here defend it by saying it is better than the USA... (which is probably true). But of course that isn't proving much.

OP
OP
Sandolf

Sandolf

Blue Moon Rising
Reaction score
German "Autobahn" for example, a joke nowadays. More and more speed limits because of unbelieveable bad road conditions. Driving fast without speed limits on German Autobahn - a fairy tale. :rolleyes:
Or broadband-internet - still many villages and rural ares are still without it, another problem we have to face. :cautious:

In Germany it seems to me that most of the freight is moved on the roads and the railways move people. Here it is the other way around. There are just too many (Lkws) trucks on most of the Autobahns that you can move that quickly. In Canada and the USA it is more the masses of stupid... (or in more friendly terms uneducated) drivers. Nobody moves to the right and the idiots who have to go faster weave through the lanes like madmen. Compared with German road conditions, the main highways over here remind me of motocross.

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
haha... no need to apologize. I say the same things all of the time... (so I was just basically agreeing with you). There is some great natural beauty to this country and a broad cultural diversity... but unfortunately... that is about it. Politically, technically, economically, etc... it is a dump. People here defend it by saying it is better than the USA... (which is probably true). But of course that isn't proving much.

Da bin ich beruhigt, Sandolf. :)
Especially because I like North America, doesnt matter if its the US or Canada and there is a reason why I love travelling there at least twice a year.
So the last thing that comes to my mind is to point the finger at other countries as Im self critical enough to know that we have enough problems of our own. ;)

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
In Germany it seems to me that most of the freight is moved on the roads and the railways move people. Here it is the other way around. There are just too many (Lkws) trucks on most of the Autobahns that you can move that quickly. In Canada and the USA it is more the masses of stupid... (or in more friendly terms uneducated) drivers. Nobody moves to the right and the idiots who have to go faster weave through the lanes like madmen. Compared with German road conditions, the main highways over here remind me of motocross.
You hit the nail on the head, Sandolf. There is too much freight moved on the streets here and its not only our German freight. As our country is, more or less, the geographical center of Europe they are all using our roads. The new government plans to introduce a toll system for cars in 2015. We already have one for trucks and the basic idea behind it is to use this money to maintain and improve our roads and Autobahn system.
This morning I drove back from my family (Frankfurt area) to Hamburg and to be honest - its no different here. Just close down the right lane because nobody uses it anyway :rolleyes:
But as you know we are not allowed to pass on the right ! :mad:;)

OP
OP
Sandolf

Sandolf

Blue Moon Rising
Reaction score
This morning I drove back from my family (Frankfurt area) to Hamburg and to be honest - its no different here. Just close down the right lane because nobody uses it anyway. :rolleyes: But as you know we are not allowed to pass on the right ! :mad:;)

The center lane is real popular over here too. Trucks even cruise the center lane. I have always wondered if the cretins just feel safer in the middle... or if they are just too lazy to make a lane change or two if they are forced to pass somebody. Morons here just pick a lane and drive in it. But you are correct. It is hardly ever the right lane.

OP
OP
Sandolf

Sandolf

Blue Moon Rising
Reaction score
As our country is, more or less, the geographical center of Europe they are all using our roads.

It is enough sometimes to make one yearn for the good old days. I was watching Aktuelle Kamera on DDR Fernsehen when I lived in Hamburg. Hell. Nobody broke into my car in Altona before Die Wende. (remember... "vor eine Stunde gestolen, schon in Polen! ?).

There is no doubt Berlin went through a transformation... and a rather amazing one at that. But it sure was a more exciting place in a strange sort of way as a divided city.

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is enough sometimes to make one yearn for the good old days. I was watching Aktuelle Kamera on DDR Fernsehen when I lived in Hamburg. Hell. Nobody broke into my car in Altona before Die Wende. (remember... "vor eine Stunde gestolen, schon in Polen! ?).

There is no doubt Berlin went through a transformation... and a rather amazing one at that. But it sure was a more exciting place in a strange sort of way as a divided city.

:D
But nowadays its not only Poland anymore Sandolf, Romanians, Lithuanians and Latvians took over this "business" ;)
A few weeks ago the car of my colleague was stolen (Volkswagen Passat, luckily only his company car) and another colleague got his car broken up two or three times within a few weeks just to steal his GPS system (Audi A4 Avant)
Police said they are having a "shopping" list and they are constantly looking for GPS systems and Airbags that are already ordered by their customers somewhere in Eastern Europe. :eek::rolleyes:
A few years ago I had a BMW X5, difficult to get an insurance for because its on of the cars that are on top of their list.

OP
OP
Sandolf

Sandolf

Blue Moon Rising
Reaction score
:D
But nowadays its not only Poland anymore Sandolf, Romanians, Lithuanians and Latvians took over this "business" ;)

True. Polish Zlotys are stable currency. Poland and the Czech Rep. are more or less like Western countries. They are now well off enough to be stolen from themselves.

This is a thorny issue nessie. But in my mind a lot of this is not like your poor people in downtrodden America stealing to survive. This is more like criminal enterprise.

OP
OP
Sandolf

Sandolf

Blue Moon Rising
Reaction score
Just a little unsolicited trivia of sorts. The guy in my avatar was born in Green Bay during the time when his father (David Whitehurst) was a QB with the Packers.

Well... Clipboard Jesus just signed with the Titans. I'm going to have to find a replacement avatar.

Fozastuta

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A Canadian, who lived in Germany with a fodness for Cricket? That is Malinga in your avatar?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts