1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

Sander released

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by rob836, Aug 21, 2006.

1. pyledriver80

pyledriver80 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Re: Sanders released

Yeah, none of them contibruted a massive 27 tackles like Underwood did only to follow it up with a trip to the IR . Then again these guys were not forced to play as rookies because our team had a winning record, unlike the 4-12 debacle of last year

2. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    yeah, Underwood is a bad pick cuz he got hurt.

3. porky88

porky88 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0

Sherman inherited a lot of players Ron Wolf brought in as GM. Thompson has inherited a lot of player Sherman brought in as GM.

Now I'm not saying that's the reason we went 4-12. Thompson sure didn't patch anything up, he left the scar untreated but it's certainly a factor.

4. fondypackfan

fondypackfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Wasn't Brett Conway a 3rd round pick of ours and never played a game for the Pack in regular season. Lets hope TT doesn't draft any kickers in the 3rd round in the next few years.

5. warhawk

warhawk Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +38

The difference in depth and talent from what Sherman inherited and what TT inherited is huge.

If you sat around a table of NFL personnel guys and tried to sell them on this you would get laughed out of the room.

I asked this question before and it was never answered. How could we go into '05 with that little money having only a hand full of previous draft picks all under their rookie contracts and no big FA signings? Harris and Driver were both reasonable contracts.

We're sitting there with guys like Roman, Paris, Dig's, Carroll, with average at best talent. Kampman, Walker, and Barnett were all under their rookie contracts (in '05).

There's no way we should have been sitting there with Wahle and Rivera unsigned and only two million bucks to work off of. No Way!

That was no scar MS left. That was a mortal blow.

6. MajicMan

MajicMan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Okay, so instead of discussing Sherman. I'd like to ask if handing the job to Ryan is a good plan? The general feeling I get around here is that Ryan isn't exciting anyone...

Are we going to bring in another punter or what?

Hey, wouldn't it be nice if said punter could hold on FG tries?!

7. NDPackerFan

NDPackerFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    All I can say is 'good riddance' to Sander...he was God-awful for a supposedly "NFL-Caliber" punter. I think Ryan has a huge upside. If Coach Stock can get him to get rid of the ball quicker and put some hangtime on it, he'll be a stud. You have to think that Ryan has one of the strongest legs in the NFL right now.

8. Greg C.

Greg C. Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I admit I didn't see this one coming at all. The timing is strange, after Sander hit a 61-yarder in the exhibition game (to be fair, he also hit a 32-yarder) while Ryan bobbled the snap in the end zone on his only attempt. Ryan has more potential because of his leg strength, but there are plenty of athletes with strong legs out there and not many become good punters.

I expect to see some competition brought in for Ryan this week.

9. cyoung

cyoung Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    to agree with Greg I didn't see it coming either I was rather impressed with the 61 yard punt because he doesn't do it much but at times he can make a pretty good punt, but someone who makes a good punt once in a while isn't what the packers need

10. DePack

DePack Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    MAN...thanks to digs, trom and my boy Dakota this became a bash Sherman thread.

I really hope the TT bashers don't do the same thing everytime one of his picks doesn't pan out, Like Klemm, O'Dwyer, Murphy, Whittacker, etc. It wouldn't be fair. AT LEAST not until he's won a few North Divisions.

11. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
  12. Packnic

Packnic Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6
    Murphy was a bad pick because he got injured too... Stupid Ted Thompson... how could he not see that Murphy would be in a freak tackle accident and sidelined indefinetly. Good god what kinda GM doesnt see the future.

13. Greg C.

Greg C. Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Taking a punter with a high draft pick is never going to be a popular move with the fans, so I'm not surprised. I had no problem with the pick as long as it panned out. Since it didn't pan out, I regard it as no worse than any other bad third round pick. And I know that Packer fans don't REALLY believe that Mike Sherman was the only GM who made bad third-round picks, with the exception of Shanahan taking Clarett. Most fans don't bother keeping track of other teams' drafts beyond the first round.

14. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    bad scouting by TT and his scouts, packnic. he should have foreseen the injuries by the usually healthy players.

15. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    cmon, if it was a LB that didnt pan out, but was semi useful on special teams during his 3 years, ok. those dont work out.

but a PUNTER? in the THIRD? He better be damn good. Not only was he no good in 3 years...he was downright awful.

16. DePack

DePack Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    Injury or no injury....a bad pick is a bad pick. We got more outta that sh1tty 3rd round punter than we did from one of last years 2nd round picks. Every GM makes bad picks. I just don't see other teams "fans" gloat when their former GM does. It hurts the team, but you guys still enjoy it. Must be fun being a "fan".

17. Greg C.

Greg C. Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Punter is an important position. It would've been a good pick if Sander had been able to step right in and be at least an average punter as a rookie, then become one of the best in the league after a few years. Good punters have long careers, and stability at that position is very good for a team.

An LB taken in the third round who contributes nothing more than being semi-useful on special teams is a wasted pick, even more than Sander was. That's because you can get an LB in the late rounds, off the waiver wire, or from the rookie free agent pool who is semi-useful on special teams.

18. Canadian packer

Canadian packer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Alright.... I think my Canadian punter (ryan) will do just fine.... He is still adjusting to the NFL game... Give him time

19. showstopper4

showstopper4 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    hahah if you think there going to bring in another punter, ur smoking more then just crack. Sander will tear ip up, he will be an excellent punter in the league as he works on it in the weeks to come.

20. pyledriver80

pyledriver80 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0

I Agree, he was cut to soon. If we had Ray Guy challenging him it would be different. Time will tell

21. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    yeah, Sander will magically get good all of a sudden after 3 years of mediocrity. right. Oh wait, is year 3 the 'breakout' year for Punters too? Even though he was drafted cuz he was "NFL Ready?"

get the **** outta here

22. Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool I own a website

Ratings:
    +8

If he goes to a fair weather team or dome team, he may do much better.

23. kmac

kmac Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    He made a typo. He meant to say that Ryan will tear it up.

24. DakotaT

DakotaT Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Let me get this straight Depack, Digs calls me his deputy, and you call me your boy. Please, for the love of God, don't ever make me call Tromadz, Grandpa!

25. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    yeah, dont be rude to the man.