Samari Rolle to Green Bay?

Cheezy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can anyone please say whats in the site Slick mentioned cause i would have to join and i dont want to. :lol:

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Cheezy said:
Can anyone please say whats in the site Slick mentioned cause i would have to join and i dont want to. :lol:

Here ya go bro..

JSOnline.com said:
The Green Bay Packers asked safety Darren Sharper to accept a major pay cut Friday, and Sharper's initial reaction indicates he'll probably be a free agent relatively soon.

If Sharper doesn't agree to the cut, the Packers are expected to release him before he is due a $2.6 million roster bonus March 12.

According to a source familiar with both sides, Packers general manager Ted Thompson informed agent Joel Segal two days ago that the Packers want to reduce Sharper's 2005 earnings of $6 million to around $2 million, thus saving the team $4 million in salary-cap room.

Whether that is the Packers' bottom line number for Sharper to remain with the team isn't known, but it's clear they want to reduce significantly Sharper's $8.633 million salary cap number in '05. More discussions between Thompson and Segal may be forthcoming, and Sharper said Saturday night he wants to see where they lead.

"I'm not pleased with the first discussion," Sharper said, declining to confirm what the Packers were seeking. "This could just be the beginning. In contract negotiations you always start low. But that's not really even a start to the conversation. I hope we can get to a point where we're agreeable."

Chances are the Packers aren't going to come up much more on their offer and Segal might request that they cut Sharper right away so he can take advantage of the free-agent market. Neither Segal nor Thompson, who were both attending the scouting combine in Indianapolis, was available for comment.

Sharper, 29, said the hardest part to swallow regarding the request for a major pay cut was that he could have sat out more than one game last season because of a sprained posterior cruciate ligament in his left knee suffered against Dallas Oct. 24. He returned to play against Minnesota and Houston in the dime package and rejoined the starting lineup against St. Louis Nov. 29.

He said he played hurt because of his loyalty to the team.

The Packers can wait until the March 12 deadline before making a final offer, but odds are that a decision will come much sooner. If they are able to re-negotiate with guard Mike Wahle and sign him to a more cap-friendly deal or re-sign free-agent guard Marco Rivera, the Packers would need Sharper's cap money to make it happen. They do not need his cut to get under the $85.5 million cap for the start of the fiscal year March 2.

By cutting Sharper, the Packers would gain $3.4 million in cap room. Sharper's $6 million salary ($2.6 million roster bonus and $3.4 million base) would be wiped off the books, but a $2.6 million cap charge from the remaining portion of Sharper's pro-rated signing bonus would come due immediately.

The Packers did not offer to guarantee any portion of Sharper's $6 million salary this year, which would have allowed them to push some of the '05 cap charge into the future. They also did not offer him an opportunity to earn back the proposed salary reduction through incentives.

If Sharper accepts the Packers' terms, his salary-cap number would be cut in half, dropping him behind quarterback Brett Favre ($11.733 million) and running back Ahman Green ($5.625 million) for highest salary-cap number on the team. If he is cut, he will count $5.2 million against the cap this year even though he wouldn't be on the team.

The Packers already have $4.6 million in so-called "dead" money on the books for 2005.

Sharper, a two-time Pro Bowl selection, would become a free agent if he is cut and would have a chance to sign a new contract with another team. If he rejects the Packers' demand for a cut, Sharper will be banking on another team paying him a signing bonus worth more than the $2 million the Packers are offering.

Sharper's six-year, $30 million signed in February of 2001 included a $7 million signing bonus, which was a record at the time. Philadelphia safety Brian Dawkins received $8 million in bonuses two years later.

Cheezy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks Slick i just hope he takes that paycut. I mean if you want to show "loyalty" to your team i think you would take that pay cut unless you just want the money.

Dustin

Cheesehead
Reaction score
uwbadger12000 said:
He better. He isn't good anymore. Hopefully, then, we will bring in a veteran safety to help out (Sammy Knight).

Ideal situation would be to have Sharper take a pay cut and sign Knight. That, IMO, would be a stellar backfield. Same token, I don't think Sharper is washed up at all - I think the last system he was in was so *** backwards (in a lot of ways) and to not play the same type D that they prepared for the week before the game prohibited any lasting success.

IU_packfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont believe Sharper is washed up, but he should take the paycut if it is not too much. We know that he loves Green Bay, why wouldnt he want to stay, take a pay cut, which would help to better the defense. Also, like all decisions now, it comes down to when Favre decides his future with the team

IU_packfan

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
I'm not in their shoes nor will I ever. But it kind of bugs me to hear players are being approached rather than the players offering. I guess I probably wouldn't wanna give money away to someone else's greed, but to keep some players around that DESERVE the money MORE, I would hope I would.

slackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree Sharper's play warrents a pay cut. Hopefully, he'll do what's needed to help the team and stay in GB. On the other hand, it looks as though GB will take a 5.2M cap hit to release him and only 3.4M more to keep him. Does it make sense to spend 5.2M on a guy and cut him? If I'm reading the article correctly, cut or released, GB will still take the 5.2M cap hit. It seems like to me they need to renegotiate the 3.4M over the next several years and keep him as long as he's physicaly able to perform.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd prefer they start a new emphasis on players and how they should earn bonuses throughout the season.. Let Sharper lead the way on that protocol.. Let's see how he responds to a contract that states he would receive more monies at the end of the season pending his performance(s) and that means game in and game out... week after week... if he makes a great game saving play each & every game, then the bigger the bonus after game 16 - if bungles a play - in turn - he would then be forced to pay the Packers back for sluffing off like Randy Moss....

That - to me - makes more sense than anything we've seen in the last ten years with player's contracts. So far - all we've seen is once they get that big money - then we no longer see the player we once had... his attitude and effort all fall into the black hole of greed.. they might as well be signed up with the Oakland Raiders. The Packers, themselves, have plenty of examples.... Johnson, Freeman, etc....

I wonder if TT's got the ****** for writing that type of contract up...
It would take an exceptional player to go ahead and sign it, too! Just the same....

Dustin

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even if TT had the balls to write up that sort of contract, there is no way the players union would accept it - which opens up a whole new can of worms on a completely different subject.

While I am not arguing that sort of contract would be ideal, unfortunately I never see it happening... or at least not in the near future. I would absolutely love to see players get paid on a week to week basis, but that is neither here nor there at this point in time.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can you imagine -- being forced to take a vacation day - cause he ran out of sick days....

Ha - think of it... in the NFL... Ya hey!

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
uwbadger12000 said:
I think Knight wouldn't be too expensive. If we cut Sharper, we'll definitely need a veteran safety.

Regardless of him being cut or not we need a leader back there. Be a rookie or a vet, we need a leader.

Rhino58

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, I agree. We do need a leader. Even if he accepted the pay cut, he probably won't give it his best out on the field.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Most likely - since Sharper has offically been asked to accept a pay cut, by at least half now... Bates is probably starting to think about a whole new secondary to work with - get the old time team outta the way - start with fresh meat - mold 'em the Jim Bates way... last thing we need all over again this year is the grumbling ways of players who want the whole team to feel they're being cheated somehow....

Sharper can walk as far as I'm concerned - he never truly tried to be a leader in the Locker room - we'd have heard about it by now.... the Press is very quick about such things!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts