Sam Shields

Mr. StyleZ

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Do you guys see him returning kicks/punts this year? The guy looked really fast on day 1. I hear he's the fastest out of all the defenders.

Granted it's only day one of training camp, but I've been concerned about the secondary all off season, and so far I like what I see... I want to be optimistic.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
I want him to be our Devin Hester. You know, before the Bears got stupid and made him a receiver.

I have no basis for thinking he can do that, but it's what I'm hoping for.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've been following the Training camp updates on cheeseheadtv.com(shoutout to those guys doing a great job of covering it!!) and it seems like shields is having an awesome camp so far. He's been covering guys one on one, batting down passes and even intercepted one. Sounds great considering he's only a rookie. I can't wait for the first preseason game!

YouFrgotPoland

Cheesehead
Reaction score
^yep he apparently had a great day today. He intercepted Flynn today and knocked down a bunch more passes.

I was watching the 97 superbowl last night, and how much Desmond Howard contributed. Man if Shields can add that explosiveness to our ST, that would be awesome... Of course that is all just wishful thinking...

aaronqb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm starting to like his chances of making the 53-man. I would think we would keep 6 CBs and with Woodson, Harris, Williams, Lee, and Underwood there's room for a 6th - especially if the guy can cover.

He had trouble holding onto the ball during the OTAs, so I would think they wouldn't want to put him in there on punt returns.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm starting to like his chances of making the 53-man. I would think we would keep 6 CBs and with Woodson, Harris, Williams, Lee, and Underwood there's room for a 6th - especially if the guy can cover.
Ahem..... you're forgetting someone who has a permanent spot at CB for this team.
Hint: He's not actually related to George.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ahem..... you're forgetting someone who has a permanent spot at CB for this team.
Hint: He's not actually related to George.

Well, like "George", his luck is bound to run out sooner or later. Looks like this might be the year!.. At least I'm hoping that is.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
If Shields can be a solid contributor on special teams during the preseason there's no reason and no excuse for keeping Jarrett F'ing Bush around anymore.

dansz15

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he showed this much talent/potential in camp already, does anyone know why a team didn't give him a chance in the seventh round in the draft? Just curious...

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he showed this much talent/potential in camp already, does anyone know why a team didn't give him a chance in the seventh round in the draft? Just curious...
He was raw in college. Raw being an understatement. He wasn't a very good Wr, played very little CB in college, and did not return kicks.

Teams would not spend a pick on him. Take with a grain of salt the comparison, but look at Antonio Gates. He didn't play football in college, with him it was all projection.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

He was also a converted WR who played CB only in his last year at Miami. Scouts couldn't really project what position he'd play in the NFL. That also factored into why teams didn't bother taking on a project.

dansz15

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He had character issues if I remember correctly as well. I don't remember what specifically, though.

That's probably what did it in the long run, I guess. Just seems like GB may have gotten lucky. It would be nice to have a replacement for Bush and maybe someone to back up Blackmon when he gets hurt returning kicks.

Hopefully he continues to excel. And until Tony Romo does much in the playoffs he will never impress me. I have a feeling I am going to catch some crap for that comment but I hate Dallas.

texaspackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh Bush! I was thinking do we have a CB named Washington? I really would like to see Shields kept as a returner. Didn't he have a fumbling problem or something in college, though? Yeah, Bush could be done; Underwood is not 100% sure either--for various reasons. I'd consider cross-training Shields as an emergency wideout, and only keeping the Four Top Guys there. Desmond Howard was great and very important to that team, but this guy's speed reminds me of Travis Williams from an earlier era.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
Ran a punt back for a TD during Family Night.

Let the Hester comparisons........... continue! They're already happening, and he just sort of reaffirmed them for now. Can't wait to see what he does during the preseason.

OP
OP
Mr. StyleZ

Mr. StyleZ

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Ran a punt back for a TD during Family Night.

Let the Hester comparisons........... continue! They're already happening, and he just sort of reaffirmed them for now. Can't wait to see what he does during the preseason.

I thought he ran back a 98 yard interception? He wasn't touched.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
Was that it? I just know I saw he had some sort of return TD on the news. I wasn't paying a ton of attention.

OP
OP
Mr. StyleZ

Mr. StyleZ

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Yea it was an interception return TD with a leap at the end. Brandon Jackson returned a kickoff for a TD and looked pretty good doing it. lol

Members online

Latest posts