Sam Shields: Will we lose him?

Will we lose Shields or will TT give Shields the huge payday SOMEONE is going to throw at him?

• Total voters

D3uc3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers' problem is defense. Losing one of your better defenders to free agency is a huge blow for the competitiveness of the team. It just opens up ANOTHER spot on defense that needs to be filled, not to mention that it takes away pretty much all your leverage for getting Williams to take a pay cut.

Williams knows he under performed and he knows there is no market for a mediocre corner over 30 he will take a paycut period or he won't be back TT knows his contract most of all needs addressing TT will not sign a big name free agent this off season so that's cap we save after we resign Shields, Jones, Neal, Lattimore, Kuhn and a low ball to Starks the rest will come from street free agents and the draft they need to keep cap to sign Cobb which given most of his production is in the slot he won't be able to receive over 6 million per year, and Nelson between 7-9 million a year he won't let them hit free agency. We will be fine this yr our receivers only accounted for 1.5mil total towards our cap.

D

Deleted member 6794

Tramon is due BIG money this coming season, even from his lack luster performance this past season, he wont take enough of a pay cut to make a big enough difference. He made over 8 million last seaon for his crappy body of work.
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/tramon-williams/

I took a look at Tramon´s cap numbers for next season. There´s absolutely no way TT will hold on to him if he doesn´t restructure his contract. His cap hit next season would be $9.5 million, we would save $7.5 million by cutting him.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sam Shields is the one guy in our secondary who can run with ANYBODY in the league. He also has the best ball skills out of the other db's on the roster. How many corners go up with Megatron 1 on 1 and come down with an int? Pay the man and solidify at least one position on the defense. There are some solid wr's in the NFC North.

D3uc3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tramon is due BIG money this coming season, even from his lack luster performance this past season, he wont take enough of a pay cut to make a big enough difference. He made over 8 million last seaon for his crappy body of work.
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/tramon-williams/

The fact of the matter is Williams is dramatically over paid and if he isn't restructured he's gone and no other team will come close to what we paid and if they do they probably aren't a contender.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

All they have to do is cut him two mil from the cap and give it back in incentives like Hawk and Crosby from 8.5 mil to 6.5 mil isn't that much of a chop when u have incentives to earn it back

That wouldn´t help with his huge salary cap hit at all. You have to extend and restructure his contract, paying his 2014 base salary as signing bonus (which would be prorated over the length of the contract) and keep the base salary low.

D

Deleted member 6794

Here´s what I think would work out with Tramon:
Sign him to a 4-year, $13,34 million extension with a $6.9 million signing bonus and base salaries of $810,000 in 2014, $1.81 million in 2015 and $1.91 million in 2016 and 2017.

Therefore his cap hit would drop to $4.535 million this season saving us nearly $5 million in cap space and having Williams for another three years after that for cap hits of $3,535 million in 2015 and $3.635 million in 2016 and 2017.

Should his play drop off significantly we could cut him after the 2015 season for a cap hit of $3.45 million, and a year later for $1.725 million.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I took a look at Tramon´s cap numbers for next season. There´s absolutely no way TT will hold on to him if he doesn´t restructure his contract. His cap hit next season would be $9.5 million, we would save $7.5 million by cutting him.

Funny how we keep talking about the loss of Sheilds when the guy that needs to be let go is Tramon Williams. I have faith that Hyde or Heyward can be solid NFL corners. If we do (hope not) lose Sam Shields my first two rounds look like this.

Trade up and Take CB Darqueze Dennard from Michigan State. Great size at 5'11 197. Dennard can come in and be a starter from day 1. Brings a tough in your face mentality to a secondary that lacks swag imo.

2nd rd. Safety Deone Buchanon from Washington state. At 6'1 215. A big physical Safety who will blow you up! can anyone remember the last time we saw one of our safties erase a guy? I sure can't. This guy had 85 tackles, 3 forced fumbles, and five ints this past season. Another day 1 starter imo. We let Harrison Smith get away when Teddy passed on him...i don't want to see a repeat of that as Buchanon would be a steal.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Williams knows he under performed and he knows there is no market for a mediocre corner over 30 he will take a paycut period or he won't be back TT knows his contract most of all needs addressing TT will not sign a big name free agent this off season so that's cap we save after we resign Shields, Jones, Neal, Lattimore, Kuhn and a low ball to Starks the rest will come from street free agents and the draft they need to keep cap to sign Cobb which given most of his production is in the slot he won't be able to receive over 6 million per year, and Nelson between 7-9 million a year he won't let them hit free agency. We will be fine this yr our receivers only accounted for 1.5mil total towards our cap.

Williams was a much better corner the latter half of the season and teams are desperate for corners. For some reason people focus on 30 like it's some important age or something. 30 only matters with running backs. There is a LONG list of corners who have played at a high level in their 30s. The question isn't if a team is willing to pay him $9m next year, the question is if another team is willing to pay him more than us. If we lose Shields and then cut Williams, what assurance do we have that some team won't come in and offer Tramon $7.5m a year? No, I don't think that will happen but it could, and that's part of the leverage. If we re-sign Shields then Packers hold all the leverage because starting Shields and Hayward would be a decent starting unit (maybe great if Hayward can hold up all season outside). If we lose Shields and Williams, we're starting Hayward and House? Maybe Hyde? That's not a great situation considering we'll also be (hopefully) starting a new safety next year as well.

Under the scenario of losing Shields and Williams, our secondary will be starting new players at every position other than Burnett. Our defense is already bad enough without removing the one strength we DO have.

Also, Cobb will receive more than $6m per year. The Patriots signed Amendola for a little over $6m per year and I think most agree that Cobb is both more reliable and more skileld than Amendola.

D

Deleted member 6794

Trade up and Take CB Darqueze Dennard from Michigan State. Great size at 5'11 197. Dennard can come in and be a starter from day 1. Brings a tough in your face mentality to a secondary that lacks swag imo.

Do you want the Packers to do after they traded up for Clowney??? ;)

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A) Trade up and Take CB Darqueze Dennard from Michigan State. Great size at 5'11 197. Dennard can come in and be a starter from day 1. Brings a tough in your face mentality to a secondary that lacks swag imo.

2nd rd. Safety Deone Buchanon from Washington state. At 6'1 215. A big physical Safety who will blow you up! B) can anyone remember the last time we saw one of our safties erase a guy? I sure can't. This guy had 85 tackles, 3 forced fumbles, and five ints this past season. Another day 1 starter imo. We let Harrison Smith get away when Teddy passed on him...i don't want to see a repeat of that as Buchanon would be a steal.
A) Teddy can't and won't trade up in this draft. Especially for a CB as he has faith in House, Hayward, Tramon, and Hyde.

B) The last safety we had who liked to hit people?
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
ENJOY THAT CLIP !

Our DB's are the opposite of the Legion of Doom in Seattle.
We're passive, finesse, wirey-thin.

It is time to change that.
Starting with fair-priced 29-year old Bernard Pollard, who already has a reputation as an enforcer.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A) Teddy can't and won't trade up in this draft. Especially for a CB as he has faith in House, Hayward, Tramon, and Hyde.

ENJOY THAT CLIP !

Starting with fair-priced 29-year old Bernard Pollard, who already has a reputation as an enforcer.
Ahh, Chuck Cecil, the "human missile", god I loved that guy.

D3uc3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That wouldn´t help with his huge salary cap hit at all. You have to extend and restructure his contract, paying his 2014 base salary as signing bonus (which would be prorated over the length of the contract) and keep the base salary low.

Yes it would two mil
Williams was a much better corner the latter half of the season and teams are desperate for corners. For some reason people focus on 30 like it's some important age or something. 30 only matters with running backs. There is a LONG list of corners who have played at a high level in their 30s. The question isn't if a team is willing to pay him $9m next year, the question is if another team is willing to pay him more than us. If we lose Shields and then cut Williams, what assurance do we have that some team won't come in and offer Tramon $7.5m a year? No, I don't think that will happen but it could, and that's part of the leverage. If we re-sign Shields then Packers hold all the leverage because starting Shields and Hayward would be a decent starting unit (maybe great if Hayward can hold up all season outside). If we lose Shields and Williams, we're starting Hayward and House? Maybe Hyde? That's not a great situation considering we'll also be (hopefully) starting a new safety next year as well.

Under the scenario of losing Shields and Williams, our secondary will be starting new players at every position other than Burnett. Our defense is already bad enough without removing the one strength we DO have.

Also, Cobb will receive more than $6m per year. The Patriots signed Amendola for a little over $6m per year and I think most agree that Cobb is both more reliable and more skileld than Amendola.

Heyward lacks the skills to make the outside jump just yet And TT views age 30 as somewhat of a magic number yes we could really use Shields and Williams back but We have 6 other CB besides those two do they can conform or move on TT won't break the bank to keep either which is the way to go, I like both I think with strong safeties we could have the best DB's as a whole

And Cobb Can't receive more than Amendola because almost all of his production has come in the slot so he won't get what he feels he is worth either because he is a slot receiver, he may become the highest paid slot man but it won't be far off from 6million a yr.

D3uc3

Cheesehead
Reaction score

ENJOY THAT CLIP !

As much as Pollard would be a help to our STRUGGLING defense we all know TT won't even entertain the notion, he would rather risk it in the draft, if free agency was an option he would have used it last season and maybe we could have made it farther.

Stevie DK

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Deep at CB? Just because we have lots of CB's on the roster, doesn't mean we have deep talent, I haven't seen Rolle, Nixon or Dennard play, you don't know if they are any good.

I would say paying Shields $8 mil. like Tramon, is way over the top, he may be the best in coverage, but he's up and down as well.
I would rather get after D.R. Cromatie, he's been a top 5 corner this year, and we could snag him for under 8, maybe 6-7.

D

Deleted member 6794

Yes it would two mil

No, it wouldn't. Incentives that are reached by a player count against the cap as well. Otherwise you could sign every player to a minimum contract and load the contract with easy to achieve incentives.

D3uc3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Deep at CB? Just because we have lots of CB's on the roster, doesn't mean we have deep talent, I haven't seen Rolle, Nixon or Dennard play, you don't know if they are any good.

I would say paying Shields $8 mil. like Tramon, is way over the top, he may be the best in coverage, but he's up and down as well.
I would rather get after D.R. Cromatie, he's been a top 5 corner this year, and we could snag him for under 8, maybe 6-7.

Only one problem other teams will pony up the cash for Cromartie, and TT is cheap and does not spend cash on FA.
Paying Shields 8 mil is not too much look what he has done he has only slowed the top receiver for almost every team we faced just the lack of safeties help didn't do him any justice, so there screw ups fell on the corners a lot, Shields has earned a new contract and given he is represented by Rosenhauss 8 mill would be cheap.
The CB's we have Nixon, Dennard, and Rolle we haven't seen anything as a Packer but they were brought in for a reason and we all know TT MAKE unexplainable decisions, I never said we had a lot of talent but with what we pay Williams an his lack of production having depth plays dramatically in our favor.

D3uc3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No, it wouldn't. Incentives that are reached by a player count against the cap as well. Otherwise you could sign every player to a minimum contract and load the contract with easy to achieve incentives.

Keyword: reached incentives just like Mason Crosby was done the same way so it's not out the question.
Williams is way overpaid an TT knows it 8.5 mil is so overpaid for him.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And Cobb Can't receive more than Amendola because almost all of his production has come in the slot so he won't get what he feels he is worth either because he is a slot receiver, he may become the highest paid slot man but it won't be far off from 6million a yr.

My point was that Amendola (70% of his routes in the slot this year and last) has a much more extensive injury history than Cobb and he got slightly over $6m per year. Harvin, another slot guy, is making almost $11m per year. Cobb won't make what Harvin did (not saying Harvin is better, just don't think Cobb will make that much) but he will make somewhere in between, and the number will probably be closer to Harvin than to Amendola.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts