Sam shields?? Gone? Or staying

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This year Shields isn't going anywhere...but like P Lee's did, his clock is running out. He's got too much raw ability and speed (which can't be taught) to be cut this year while still as young as he is. However, if Casey H comes through and develops into what TT thinks he can and Davon House continues to improve Shield's could find himself on the outside looking in by the year's end........but it is just as likely this young man steps up and his coverage skills improve enough to where his speed and natural ability are useful and he becomes a viable CB in coverage.

All the Bush comments are insane. J Bush is what baseball people consider a utility infielder....talented enough to get the job done in multiple spots, maybe excel in one area or aspect (his would be ST) and is someone the coach knows exactly what they're gonna get from. You can't eat up a ton of roster spots to guys like that, but any smart organization has at least 1 or 2 of these guys.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still feel Sam Shields is the best of the bunch not named Woodson or Williams. He is a young guy who with coaching will only get better because he has all the tools. I'm not buying the excuse anymore that he's still learning the position because he did so well in his first year as a starter. He just got cocky and thoguht he had his spot locked up, and wasn't as motivated as he was in his first year to earn respect as a corner. The move to Bush is just that..a motivational tactic so that he has no choice to improve as a tackler and not lose his technique.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Are we talking about the same Jarret Bush? The one who attracts penalties like a magnet goes for iron filings? The same Jarret Bush who says last year's defense was darn good? I will grant he is helpful on special teams if he doesn't get into flag trouble. But as a starting cornerback, I don't see it.

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did you watch any games last season? lol

Riiight? lol Dude looked terrible in nearly every facet of his game last year. Only reason he even looked respectable half the time is because he has the recovery speed to at least be in the vicinity when the ball arrives.

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well he was pretty good for a rookie two years ago.

Pretty good for a rookie doesn't exactly translate into being "the man" as a 3rd yr vet. I'd say the year he had last year balances the scale into a wash that's why its so important for him to show up this year and prove last year was a fluke.

H

HardRightEdge

Sam Shields is a tough case to boil down to a clear yes or no as a regular.

The guy was a legit shut down corner in 2010. Besides the speed, he showed terrific ball skills. By mid-season teams were not throwing at him. Deion lite.

And his downfield coverage skills were not too shabby last season either; he didn't get beat over the top very often.

But he's a knucklehead...starting with the tatoo and continuing with his mid-season denial that there was any problem with his tackling.

His play last season had a double-whammy glaring fault. He'd play off receivers, and then have to try to bring them down in space when teams would throw under him. Ouch!

I have a hard time seeing him getting cut, but if he doesn't get his mind straight he might be riding the bench.

But I keep coming back to the speed and ball skills. You don't throw that away until the liabilities appear insurmountable. This guy is never going to be a bump-and-run corner, and you're not going to see him blowing up running backs...but if he can sharpen up his technique, be a better student of the game, and get a little more physical you'd want to live with that.

One thing you can be sure of...Bush is not the answer. When teams see him out there on the island they go after him over the top, for good reason.

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
He'll make the team this year. Depending on how he plays will determine his future w/the Pack

Members online

Latest posts