Sam shields?? Gone? Or staying

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

TeamTundra

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm thinking we will keep 5 - 6 CB's, with Woodson, Tramon and Casey Heyward as locks.
The remaining 2 - 3 will probably be made up of Shields, Davon House and a younger
player. The only way I don't see him making the team is if Jarrett Bush excels at CB
and he bumps him. Shields is still a very young raw player and he was an undrafted
college free agent so he counts very little against the salary cap.

I do agree though that he needs to step up his game. A more intriguing position battle
to me is at LB.

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see two guys on the roster that could potentially make a push for Shields' spot. House and Bush. Bush has improved a bit on his coverage skills, ( still hate seeing him on D). But his tackling is tremendously better than shields and if he could close the gap in coverage skills even just a bit more than he did in his jump last year I think he has a realistic chance of seeing more playing time. I have also heard good things about House. I was decently impressed with what we heard/saw of him last year, and I look forward to seeing more throughout the rest of the off season

60six

DIE HARD
Reaction score
Shields is not going anywhere. What he flashed in his first year will allow him play out the last year of his contract. Final six CBs......Woodson-Williams-Heywood-Shields-House-Bush.

IluvGB

I <3 Packers!!!!
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Well you would think this honkin' tat would insure he would still play in GB for a bit longer.... ;)

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Well you would think this honkin' tat would insure he would still play in GB for a bit longer.... ;)

I still say that was the worse thing he could have done..I could see on the arm, back, or somewhere not as visible..But there? and that big..Wrong

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
I see him keeping his spot, dude saved our butts a few times and he is fast. I also think if anything we use him for kick returns.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
Also if I'm not mistaken, wasn't Shields trained to be a wide receiver, which didn't work out in college so he switched to corner back, and has made some clutch saves. Actually with some more thought into it, if the guy can learn to tackle better he should stay. Also needs to clean up his off the field problems to keep everyone happy too.

Bagadeez04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
HE will stay on another year...it's almost a lock unless he is just butt-awful in camp. Keep in mind, the guy's only experience at CB was his last year at MIami where they told him to "cover that guy" all year. He knew next to nothing coming out.

His rookie year Capers kept it simple...essentially doing the same thing. Keeping him limited to passing downs and playing primarily man coverage. Last season he was asked to step up and be an "every down CB" in nickle formations (or variations of) and had problems dissecting run-pass, tackling, and just playing the position in general. It's really understandable IMO.

This year he will make the team. It's his 3rd year in the pros and coaches will expect to see him a matured player in 2012. If he continues to struggle, the playing time he was alloted in years past due to sheer lack of talent at CB, will be given to guy's like Heyward and House who can't be much worse than he was in 2011. A guy like Heyward has all the intangibles that Shields will probably never possess, and House has got to be eager to make a splash after a year learning the system.

This is it for Shields in Green Bay...if he has another year like his last, he could very well be cut mid-season, or released next summer to make room for a rookie/s.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
Joe Whitt said he's going to be great, I believe him. He's staying.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The whole defensive backfield will be superstars if we get a pass rush.

I

I_am_smoked_cheddar

Poor tackling was and should near the top of everyones list. Shields needs to improve in this area. The whole Defence needs to improve in this area. A great pass rush is great, but passes will be completed. A decrease in YAC will come from better tackling. Coverage does need to improve. Speed is important. Fast thinking is the most important ally.
Smart,fast thinking, fast acting players are a priority. Weed out the slow pooks on and off the field !!! :mad:

DoubleC4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bush is not going anywhere. Although he doesn't have the best coverage skills. He is our special teams captain.
I remember when there was strong hate for Bush on these forums and I agreed with all of it. I'm not going to lie though he has greatly improved and I'm glad to have him on on special teams and feel much safer with him in coverage than I did a few years ago.

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Shields had a pretty bad day his first day in pads. Got beat by Jones on what should have been an easy pick. Was beat in the 1 on 1 drills. And was even bumped from the dime package with the 1s. Seems like he has some really big stepping up to do.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
Shields needs time to develop and I hope he does that as a Packer because I see a lot of potential in him. If our entire defense can play well together I think Shields may be a big part of their success.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Shields needs time to develop and I hope he does that as a Packer because I see a lot of potential in him. If our entire defense can play well together I think Shields may be a big part of their success.

Time may not be on his side. He needs to step up...now! The clock is ticking on him.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts