Sam Shields apparently released

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
As I recall, Sam was one of THOSE "Ted" picks. Was a receiver in college and was converted to corner all but immediately. Bad call Ted. Couldn't you have known that he'd have concussion problems beforehand?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Well that's a questionable source if ever I've seen one :laugh: FWIW, I legit don't give a crap if people smoke weed and think it probably does help some people with various ailments. I do, however, like proper research and well-founded claims.

Also, OFFICIAL THREAD BACK ON TRACK moment! Beep beep.
http://bfy.tw/9ygJ

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually if I'm stating what I believe to be true, and you say it's not true. Its your job to prove to me its not, or is that only a Court of Law thing? Lol

Standard debate rule. The party who makes the positive claim is responsible for citing a source/providing evidence. You make the claim, you support the clean. The other party is in the default state of "unconvinced."

Now, the other party can say, "That is not true!" That is also a positive claim and would have the responsibility to support it with evidence.

The common example as why this is an absolute requirement is flying:

"I can fly!"

vs.

"Prove I cannot fly!

In the case of court, the state is making the positive claim. It is their responsibility to support the claim.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Standard debate rule. The party who makes the positive claim is responsible for citing a source/providing evidence. You make the claim, you support the clean. The other party is in the default state of "unconvinced."

Now, the other party can say, "That is not true!" That is also a positive claim and would have the responsibility to support it with evidence.

The common example as why this is an absolute requirement is flying:

"I can fly!"

vs.

"Prove I cannot fly!

In the case of court, the state is making the positive claim. It is their responsibility to support the claim.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

H

HardRightEdge

Amen. Have to say and not to get off the thread on here LOL. But props to the mods in this forum. I was having fun in the Falcons fan site after the Super Bowl, but what a train wreck of disorganization that site is......no wonder the Falcons fell apart, their fans can't even stay on task. :D

OK.....now back to Shields.
You're off topic! Delete! Delete!

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Shields was one of my fav Packers and obviously one of TT's great pick ups. I would be more torn of this news but everyone saw this coming. The guy was barely 5'11 and 185lbs and played fearless against other teams 1's that were usually much bigger then him and he held his own. If the guy smoked weed and maybe needed to take a hit before having to go on an island against Megatron for 60 minutes then more power to him. He got results. If thats what works as there are guys doing much worse.

Replacing him wont be easy as already found out some. There is no guarantee a FA can come in and be as effective as he was and even less of a guarantee a rookie can. I have my two cents on this but good luck TT.

Last edited:

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually if I'm stating what I believe to be true, and you say it's not true. Its your job to prove to me its not, or is that only a Court of Law thing? Lol
Actually you have it backwards.... in a court of law the burden of proof is on the plaintiff .... if you make a claim ... you must prove it... it is not incumbent on the defendant to prove their side ...

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
I wanna know how this topic got derailed from Shields to discussing the legal ramifications of Marijuana.

If you want to make a thread about that sort of thing have at it. No more post about legality of weed in this thread please.

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's no credible studies that show marijuana helps with brain injuries, any study you find will come off a site like leafly or medicalmarijuanainc and link a bogus study with less than 2% deviation and use that as evidence. There are actual studies that show marijuana use can be detrimental to the white matter of your brain, hippocampus, prefrontal cortex and cerebellum such as this one https://www.researchgate.net/profil...uana_Abuse/links/559964c808ae793d138050d7.pdf

Also google has a function where you can search through legitimate scientific articles and avoid the pseudoscience of many marijuana propaganda sites.
https://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&q=marijuana+use+helps+brain+&as_sdt=1,5&as_sdtp=&oq=
You'll find the results are much different than just simply googling alone

Anyways, that's off topic. I'm going to miss shields so much. He was a great player for us for a long time, but it's for the best that he hang em up.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wanna know how this topic got derailed from Shields to discussing the legal ramifications of Marijuana.

If you want to make a thread about that sort of thing have at it. No more post about legality of weed in this thread please.
This discussion had absolutely nothing to do with the legalities of weed. The claim was made that weed helps heal brain injuries. Since Shields is known to be a pot user with apparent brain issues associated with his multiple concussions, the discussion developed in a somewhat tongue in cheek manner. But again pot being legal.... or illegal has not been at issue here.

D

Deleted member 6794

As I recall, Sam was one of THOSE "Ted" picks. Was a receiver in college and was converted to corner all but immediately. Bad call Ted. Couldn't you have known that he'd have concussion problems beforehand?

Shields was by far Thompson's best acquisition in undrafted free agency. He was a huge contributor to the Packers Super Bowl run especially in the NFCCG intercepting two passes at Soldier Field. I will always be thankful for his play while in Green Bay but as I've mentioned before it's time for him to retire.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Shields was definitely a 10, but I'm coming up short thinking of anyone else (Tramon's a special case, of course) who even clawed up to a 2. Not worth much of an argument, but the rest of the UDFAs just seemed to come and go. Who am I missing?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Shields was definitely a 10, but I'm coming up short thinking of anyone else (Tramon's a special case, of course) who even clawed up to a 2. Not worth much of an argument, but the rest of the UDFAs just seemed to come and go. Who am I missing?

Not sure if you are just talking about TT's successful UDFA's? But here is a list of some other UDFA players that had some success in Green Bay through the years.
  1. Ryan Longwell
  2. Ed West
  3. Ryan Grant (sort of, he was an UDFA of the Giants)
  4. Mark Murphy
  5. John Kuhn (via Steelers)
  6. George Koonce
  7. Johnnie Gray
  8. Cullen Jenkins
  9. Paul Coffman
  10. Willie Wood

Last edited:

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks, but the post upon which I built my response did specifically mention TT.

H

HardRightEdge

Shields was one of my fav Packers and obviously one of TT's great pick ups. I would be more torn of this news but everyone saw this coming. The guy was barely 5'11 and 185lbs and played fearless against other teams 1's that were usually much bigger then him and he held his own. If the guy smoked weed and maybe needed to take a hit before having to go on an island against Megatron for 60 minutes then more power to him. He got results. If thats what works as there are guys doing much worse.

Replacing him wont be easy as already found out some. There is no guarantee a FA can come in and be as effective as he was and even less of a guarantee a rookie can. I have my two cents on this but good luck TT.
"If the guy...needed to take a hit before having to go on an island against Megatron for 60 minutes then more power to him."

I doubt that ever happened. Pot is not used as a performance enhancer. Anybody who's ever smoked pot (a good 40 years in my past) would tell you that.

Further, while there is certainly some percentage of players who are pot heads, daily smokers will get caught in a drug test sooner or later.

Here's the deal. ESPN the Magazine did a anonymous poll of about 250 NFL players, according to which the players said 40% of their peers were regular users of prescription painkillers. That's opioids. The players estimated 50% of their peers use marijuana. Many players reported better pain relief from pot than the opiods. Which would you use for pain relief if you figured out how not to get caught smoking, knowing that opioids are far more dangerous?

For most, pot is a Sunday night - Monday drug to get get past the pain and ready for Tuesday practice.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
It will be interesting to see if Shields tries to play again and if he is cleared and does, would he listen to offers from the Packers? Would the Packers make him an offer? While I think he should give it up for his own well being, nothing says he can't play again if he chooses to. No matter what happens, even if Shields did end up back in GB, the Packers couldn't fully count on him and IMO would still be faced with the same needs they currently have at CB.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
"If the guy...needed to take a hit before having to go on an island against Megatron for 60 minutes then more power to him."

I doubt that ever happened. Pot is not used as a performance enhancer. Anybody who's ever smoked pot (a good 40 years in my past) would tell you that.

Further, while there is certainly some percentage of players who are pot heads, daily smokers will get caught in a drug test sooner or later.

Here's the deal. ESPN the Magazine did a anonymous poll of about 250 NFL players, according to which the players said 40% of their peers were regular users of prescription painkillers. That's opioids. The players estimated 50% of their peers use marijuana. Many players reported better pain relief from pot than the opiods. Which would you use for pain relief if you figured out how not to get caught smoking, knowing that opioids are far more dangerous?

For most, pot is a Sunday night - Monday drug to get get past the pain and ready for Tuesday practice.

All of that data doesn't surprise me one bit.

Im not saying he did or didn't. I was just kind of making a point that it wouldn't surprise me and to me it really doesn't matter. I can only speak from experience but I know personally of guys that played at a pretty high level and smoked marijuana prior to a game and they played great. However, it was only a handfull of guys over the course of a long period. Everyone is wired differently and different drugs affect people differently. You can give one person coffee at night and there up all night and another could drink a few cups and fall right to sleep. I am sure it is a constant cat and mouse game for these guys to beat drug tests but with the resources Shields has I am sure he could keep ahead of the cat. The guys that couldn't stay ahead of the curve have most likely gotten to the point where they have lost complete control of there drug use whatever that may be. Maybe that's a conversation to have about a different player like Mike Pennel.

Not to get off topic and my last two cents on this is Spending as much time in Seattle as I did I can tell you there are dispensaries with many many different strains that treat and are used for many many different things.

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score

any player taking it upon themselves to stay away from the opioids and use marijuana care far more about themselves than the brain trust that shovels the prescriptions at them for pain management.

It's only an issue because the money flows in the wrong direction in this country and the stigma. But it's changing

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
is this about shields or weed?

sheilds had containers of pot in his house..he also had a blunt in hand and another in pocket when investigators came to place..He was being investigated for getting pot in the mail

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
why can't it be about Shields AND weed? it's a part of the story, at least an interesting one for discussion. I could see this talking a fair bit about concussions too, but as for Shields, what else is left to talk about him without going off on a side topic associated with him? We've known pretty much since he went in IR that his career was done given his history and salary.

Latest posts