Sam Shields apparently released

D

Deleted member 6794

Another move that is hardly surprising. Hopefully Shields will be able to get fully healthy again.

OP
OP
Ace

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now Schefter has it and Demovsky is confirming that he has in fact been informed of his release.

Reaction score
Sad to see him go like this but we all saw it coming. What do you guys think about a cheaper deal?? I don't think that's even going to happen with his injury history the last couple years. Although these moves were kind of sure things to us I am a bit surprised that both were done by TT. I'm liking the cut throatness so far this young offseason. Won't get my hopes up for free agency quite yet but this sets some things up for our own guys at the least

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sad to see him go like this but we all saw it coming. What do you guys think about a cheaper deal?? I don't think that's even going to happen with his injury history the last couple years. Although these moves were kind of sure things to us I am a bit surprised that both were done by TT. I'm liking the cut throatness so far this young offseason. Won't get my hopes up for free agency quite yet but this sets some things up for our own guys at the least
no deal at all. He's done in this league. I wouldn't even want him at league minimum because he's not going to play. He's still having daily headaches according to him. and this all started from a relatively normal football play without a blow directly to the head by the ground or another player.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anyone see Sam's tweet or instagram? It had a bunch of hashtags but a few caught my eye that said:

Businessisbusiness
AtleastletmeretireaPack
ImDone

I think he is gonna step away completely...

Thanks Sam, if not for the concussions he was working towards being one of our best CBs in a while.

OP
OP
Ace

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just another in the long list of quality players whose careers were cut wayyyy too short. Sad

Reaction score
Anyone see Sam's tweet or instagram? It had a bunch of hashtags but a few caught my eye that said:

Businessisbusiness
AtleastletmeretireaPack
ImDone

I think he is gonna step away completely...

Thanks Sam, if not for the concussions he was working towards being one of our best CBs in a while.

He kind of threw me for a loop with all those hashtags. Some seemed like he was done some seemed and previously he seemed to want to continue to play.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i'm sure he'd like to keep playing. From what I understood, Shields was all about football and loved playing. But I imagine the reality of his situation has set in, and he realizes another season isn't even guaranteed, but a lifetime of misery probably would be if he were to continue. He's probably going to have brain issues anyway from the sounds of it.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
14th player in the past 30 seasons whose career was cut short by a head or neck injuries. The Packers have lost the likes of Tim Lewis, Sterling Sharpe, Mark Chmura, Nick Collins, Jmike and now Shields. Wow! What a huge loss of talent. While I don't have access to the detailed stats to make an undeniable assessment, I can't imagine another franchise losing the number and quality of players to head and neck injuries as the Packers. If it wasn't so sad, the head and neck injury epidemic on the Packers would be a bad joke.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Good for Shields that he got his big pay day before these injuries cut him down. He had a nice little career and I hope his health is not a big issue for him in the long term.

PackerFanLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dang man I feel bad for shields but on the other side of it atleast he got paid. Gotta think about your health and family. Crazy thing he was getting better as a corner. Jfin, nick Collins and shields I feel bad for those dudes. They love football so much, I see Jfin rooting for the pack all the time from his twitter

Last edited:

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Obvious decision.

He should retire. I read he still has recurring headaches. He should not risk his health more and we'll save cap space. Best decision for both parties.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Between Sam and James I believe we've cleared 12M in cap space for 2017.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Ted's freeing up some cap space....We'll see if he intends on using it to resign some of his own or potentially sign some of someone else's. High confidence on the former, less so on the latter.

I hope Sam gets well and has a healthy and productive life from here on. He gave us plenty to cheer about during his time in the Green & Gold......

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Vince Lombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not a surprise & the right thing to do. Hopefully Sam realizes that its over. He is supposedly still getting headaches. Time to call it a career!

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
TT is moving "lightning fast" to clear up some cap space.....must mean he is ready to wheel and deal on some FA's......or he just wants more money in the vault to sleep on top of during the FA signing period? :coffee:

Clay Matthews decision next?

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT is moving "lightning fast" to clear up some cap space.....must mean he is ready to wheel and deal on some FA's......or he just wants more money in the vault to sleep on top of during the FA signing period? :coffee:

Clay Matthews decision next?

I would guess this allows him to sign some of his own players more easily? Could be wrong

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I would guess this allows him to sign some of his own players more easily? Could be wrong
Agreed. I was saying it tongue and cheek. Both Shields and Starks were no brainer moves. The tough decisions and the ones that will influence 2017 for TT and the Packers are ahead.

A restructuring of Clay's contract in the next few months would be a big step IMO of being able to improve this team. I hope Clay and his agent view it as "taking a pay cut keeps me in GB and helps the team and if I am released, how much is my current value to another team?"

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed. I was saying it tongue and cheek. Both Shields and Starks were no brainer moves. The tough decisions and the ones that will influence 2017 for TT and the Packers are ahead.

A restructuring of Clay's contract in the next few months would be a big step IMO of being able to improve this team. I hope Clay and his agent view it as "taking a pay cut keeps me in GB and helps the team and if I am released, how much is my current value to another team?"

I agree. I really hope Clay restructures his deal. This team has some cap space and that could give them a very nice amount. Can this team sign Lang, Perry, cook and Hyde and a solid fa cb and rookies if they restructure clay? I would think so.

D

Deleted member 6794

Cook and Hyde will probably be in the Packers price range and thus resigned. I have a feeling that unless Lang and Perry want to stay in GB and play for a bit less money, those 2 are going to be seeing money offers that TT and the Packers won't match.

We know almost 100% what we get with Lang (throw out injury side of it), so he will be an easy decision for GB either way they decide cost vs value and who they have to take his place. A decision that will most likely be made before the FA signing period begins.

Perry on the other hand (not the broken one) is more of a wildcard in my mind. I think some teams will throw crazy money at him and the Packers would have to be betting on him to keep meeting his highest production, the first half of the 2016 season. I see the Packers/TT not wanting to gamble big money on Perry and not signing him prior to the FA period and once it gets there, he will be priced out of the Packers plans.

I would prefer to re-sign Perry long before other teams are allowed to negotiate with him. If the Packers let that happen it's possible he will price himself out of Green Bay.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I would prefer to re-sign Perry long before other teams are allowed to negotiate with him. If the Packers let that happen it's possible he will price himself out of Green Bay.

totally agree. While I don't know Perry and his agents mindset, I have a feeling they are going to be looking for contracts that represent what Perry was capable of doing at times this season. I just don't see the Packers having that kind of confidence in him or desire to offer him that kind of money. I think some teams get enamoured with stats and don't have quite the big picture of the player that his current team has. Which very well could be why Perry will be playing elsewhere in 2017.

Latest posts