Sam Barrington

rondon57

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's true.

I could see Peppers retiring if he gets a ring this year, don't think Hawk is pondering retirement though (although it's possible no team will offer him to play anymore).
I agree, if GB lets Hawk go I don't see anyone picking him up.

D

Deleted member 6794

I was a bit surprised TT grabbed Peppers for OLB but hey,good pickup and if Hawk and Jones are let go will TT go out there again for a FA at ILB or go with one of his guys,same with NT? We all know he likes his draft picks over FA.He might just sit tight and hope one of his guys learns the positions by next year but he will pick a guy or two in the draft if it's a value pick.TT doesn't hang on to too many players when they get long in the tooth.Hawk is past that and I never saw anything in Brad Jones.

If Thompson doesn't sign a free agent at ILB he would have to spend an early draft pick on the position.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here is why I like the move of getting Sam some more PT over #50. It shows me that Dom knows he is running out of time and now realizes that Hawk is a liability on many a formation. How many times have we all commented on how AJ needs to be replaced on certain packages and while he is assignment sound and a tough guy for sure his production, or lack thereof, wasn't to the level it needed to be and there seemed to be no good reason to not try someone else. Finally Dom has accepted this line of thinking and I hope that after he looks at the tape he will see that SB can do things that simply put AJ can't. Yes he made some errors and was on the ground a touch more than we'd like but that stuff is just going to happen. I believe that as he gets more PT (fingers crossed) he will begin to play at a higher level as it takes some time getting used to maneuvering around the "trash". I absolutely love the fact that there seems to be a sense of urgency with this team and that includes the coaching staff as well. There is no reason we shouldn't make a deep run this year and so long as everyone is buying in to the program I like our chances to do just that! Keep plugging away boys and good things are on the horizon. G P G!

H

HardRightEdge

The Packers could release both Hawk and Jones after this season and save $7.25 million in cap space by doing it.
Here's a spit ball. Somebody mentioned it earlier in the season, but I think it's worth revisiting.

Pat Willis' cap number is $8.3 mil for 2015 and $9.6 mil for 2016. Dead cap in either year is under $1 mil.

The 49er's current cap number for 2015 is about $150 mil; they'll need to do some veteran offloading. Willis would be a prime candidate given Borland's play and Willis' low dead cap.

The 49ers will try trade him to a team with cap space that would find the zero guarantees and very low dead cap risk attractive. As trades go in the NFL, it wouldn't cost much in the way of a draft pick.

It doesn't look like his toe injury is that serious...banged up from repeated strains and sprains. A chronic turf toe might be more problematic. In any event, the low dead cap makes it a low risk proposition.

This deal would free up the first round pick for any number of possibilities: the NT that's needed now; a cover corner backup to complement Shields and House (or compete with House) if Williams is not re-signed; an OT if they can't come to terms with Bulaga; an OLB replacement for Peppers come 2016.

It opens up more positions among which to choose the best player available, rather than a forced pick to fill a glaring need as we've seen in the last 4 drafts.

SF will ask for a 3rd. round pick; Thompson will offer a 6th.; Willis will go elsewhere. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's a spit ball. Somebody mentioned it earlier in the season, but I think it's worth revisiting.

Pat Willis' cap number is $8.3 mil for 2015 and $9.6 mil for 2016. Dead cap in either year is under $1 mil.

The 49er's current cap number for 2015 is about $150 mil; they'll need to do some veteran offloading. Willis would be a prime candidate given Borland's play and Willis' low dead cap.

The 49ers will try trade him to a team with cap space that would find the zero guarantees and very low dead cap risk attractive. As trades go in the NFL, it wouldn't cost much in the way of a draft pick.

It doesn't look like his toe injury is that serious...banged up from repeated strains and sprains. A chronic turf toe might be more problematic. In any event, the low dead cap makes it a low risk proposition.

This deal would free up the first round pick for any number of possibilities: the NT that's needed now; a cover corner backup to complement Shields and House (or compete with House) if Williams is not re-signed; an OT if they can't come to terms with Bulaga; an OLB replacement for Peppers come 2016.

It opens up more positions among which to choose the best player available, rather than a forced pick to fill a glaring need as we've seen in the last 4 drafts.

SF will ask for a 3rd. round pick; Thompson will offer a 6th.; Willis will go elsewhere. ;)

If Willis is cut, it wouldn't cost any compensatory picks to sign him so I could see TT making a run.

H

HardRightEdge

If Willis is cut, it wouldn't cost any compensatory picks to sign him so I could see TT making a run.
They might cut him if they can't get a trade. However, with no guaranteed money left on his current contract a trade should be attractive to somebody.

rondon57

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Thompson doesn't sign a free agent at ILB he would have to spend an early draft pick on the position.
But then perhaps you start over again, a young guy learning the D and the way it appears they will not draft very high,what can ya do?I'm glad I'm not a GM!lol

Last edited:

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I could see Peppers retiring if he gets a ring this year, don't think Hawk is pondering retirement though (although it's possible no team will offer him to play anymore).

Maybe it's just me but I think JPep will be back next year regardless of this seasons outcome. It appears to me that he is having a blast and while this is just my opinion I think that playing in a place like Green Bay can put some extra gas in ones tank. Again, maybe I am just being a homer but after playing in places like Chicago and Carolina coming to Green Bay and getting to call Lambeau your office has to be pretty cool. He has shown throughout this season that he still has a considerable amount of tread left on his tires so I think it's just a question of whether or not he still has the want and desire to play and continue to beat his body up. Ok, here is my perfect, homeristic scenario for this Peppers debate. JPep finishes this season off with a 1 sack, 1 fumble forced and 1 INT/TD performance in the Super Bowl earning him Co-MVP honors with 12. Within a week of the Super Bowl he states right away (the anti-Favre) that he is coming back for '15 and it will be his final hoorah. The Packers flirt with perfection but end the regular season 15-1. Home field pays off once again and our boys find themselves in San Francisco playing for a second title in as many years. You know how this story is going to end but humor me. The Packers take the upstart Colts out in stunning fashion while Rodgers and Co. solidify themselves as a current day mini-dynasty. JPep rides off into the sunset a champ...The End

Aaaaaah a man can dream. Yes, a man can dream.

G P G!!!

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mathews is surely playing middle more because Peppers, Perry, Neal, and a one of my favorite rookies Jayrone Elliott. And before that it was Mulumba, who will be back next year most likely. We also have the monster Alabama LB on the practice squad Hubbard. We got to get that talent on the field...
Coupled with Hawk and Jones having weaknesses.

I just have to ask, HOW MANY TIMES will Hawks career be saved by his contract?????? As soon as we drop him, he will fail or retire... he is just not that good. his rookie year he was good. then it seemed he lost his fire and settled in for the paychecks. Always played just well enough to not get cut...

get a good one in next years draft. see if bradford steps up. Or Palmer who looked good before IR. HECK!!! Lets bring another OLB inside! Get them big boys on the field!

D

Deleted member 6794

But then perhaps you start over again, a young guy learning the D and the way it appears they will not draft very high,what can ya do?I'm glad I'm not a GM!lol

Mosley and Borland showed that a rookie can have an immediate impact at the position. Thompson would have to spend an early pick on the position though.

D

Deleted member 6794

I just have to ask, HOW MANY TIMES will Hawks career be saved by his contract?????? As soon as we drop him, he will fail or retire... he is just not that good. his rookie year he was good. then it seemed he lost his fire and settled in for the paychecks. Always played just well enough to not get cut...

While I'm fine with criticizing Hawk's play (and I've done that quite often myself) I don't think anybody should question his heart. The guy has been available for all but two games in his career and gave all he had every single time he stepped on the field. He's just not talented enough to warrant being picked fifth overall.

rondon57

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MM says A.J. Hawk has played "outstanding football"he is the coach so anyone who thinks different is wrong.

rondon57

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just in case you don't realize this, NOTHING any of you MORONS say or think MATTERS! GET A LIFE! I am done with this **** excuse of a forum.There are about 2 of you in here that really have a brain!I am out!

OP
OP
gopkrs

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thought this was intersting.
" A horse a piece" is from the Milwaukee area where bar dice are a common game played in local taverns. During certain times of the game a player who loses has "a horse on him". If all players end up with a horse on him, it is said "A horse a piece". This is also a very common phrase in these parts meaning equal to or takes the place of "it doesn't matter".

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Thought this was intersting.
" A horse a piece" is from the Milwaukee area where bar dice are a common game played in local taverns. During certain times of the game a player who loses has "a horse on him". If all players end up with a horse on him, it is said "A horse a piece". This is also a very common phrase in these parts meaning equal to or takes the place of "it doesn't matter".
Maybe not Milwaukee but it is definitely a Wisconsinism right along side bubbler. Google it and most wording sites verify it. Again doesn't make it true but the dice game would do it if it was played a hundred years or so ago.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I'm fine with criticizing Hawk's play (and I've done that quite often myself) I don't think anybody should question his heart. The guy has been available for all but two games in his career and gave all he had every single time he stepped on the field. He's just not talented enough to warrant being picked fifth overall.
I just remember him dominating at Ohio. Then was very physical his rookie year. He would come into the screen like superman half the time....... So I know he can play with wreckless abandon. But then, like I said. He fell off. It seemed like every time his job was threatened. or a contract year came up, he had enough to play better... Even now. I was thinking Hawk was looking better this year... Wouldnt you know it, theres a logic that would send him hiking... Now he's benched? I dont think TT and MM and Capers were impressed, or fooled anymore. I believe a decision has been made to move on. And no time like now to test the guys we have, while we are on a roll with homefield advantage in sight. I admit I might be wrong. But I just call it like i see it.
And come on. You think MM is going to come out and throw one of his guys under the bus like that? No way. Criticism, maybe, in a teaching manner, to hold young guys accountable. But you dont call out a long time veteran who you think is sand bagging. When you know he's going to be looking for a job next year..... Thats just mean.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers could release both Hawk and Jones after this season and save $7.25 million in cap space by doing it.

And the Bears would be right there to scoop both of them up. Maybe when the Bears releAse Briggs peppers can convince him to come play in Green Bay to finish out his career . If Clay can move inside so can Briggs. Briggs, Barrington, peppers, and Matthews at backers sounds pretty nice.

D

Deleted member 6794

And the Bears would be right there to scoop both of them up. Maybe when the Bears releAse Briggs peppers can convince him to come play in Green Bay to finish out his career . If Clay can move inside so can Briggs. Briggs, Barrington, peppers, and Matthews at backers sounds pretty nice.

I don't think Briggs has anything left that would attract Thompson to sign him.

D

Deleted member 6794

I just remember him dominating at Ohio. Then was very physical his rookie year. He would come into the screen like superman half the time....... So I know he can play with wreckless abandon. But then, like I said. He fell off. It seemed like every time his job was threatened. or a contract year came up, he had enough to play better... Even now. I was thinking Hawk was looking better this year... Wouldnt you know it, theres a logic that would send him hiking... Now he's benched? I dont think TT and MM and Capers were impressed, or fooled anymore. I believe a decision has been made to move on. And no time like now to test the guys we have, while we are on a roll with homefield advantage in sight. I admit I might be wrong. But I just call it like i see it.
And come on. You think MM is going to come out and throw one of his guys under the bus like that? No way. Criticism, maybe, in a teaching manner, to hold young guys accountable. But you dont call out a long time veteran who you think is sand bagging. When you know he's going to be looking for a job next year..... Thats just mean.

A lot of players dominate at the college level because the competition isn't nearly as talented in the NFL. Hawk has been a decent player for most of his career but never lived up to being the fifth overall pick. This season his play dropped off considerably, especially proved by Kyle Rudolph easily running away from him while being nearly 30 pounds heavier and just getting back from sports hernia surgery.

While it's time to move on from Hawk I haven't heard McCarthy say a single negative word about him. Do you have a link to the story where MM threw AJ under the bus as you claimed???

Members online