1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

Saints would have picked Hawk

Discussion in 'All Other Team Discussions' started by CaliforniaCheez, May 11, 2006.

1. CaliforniaCheez

CaliforniaCheez Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Pro Football Talk has a article that said if Bush went #1 the Saints would have taken Hawk.

MARIO WOULD HAVE FALLEN TO FOURTH

Another intriguing nugget on which we recently stumbled was that defensive end Mario Williams expected in the days prior to the draft to be taken not by the Saints at No. 2, but by the Jets at No. 4.

This expectation gave Williams an even greater incentive to ink a deal with the Texans to become the first overall pick.

Most assumed that Williams would be drafted by the Saints at No. 2, if the Texans took Bush at No. 1. But we're now told that in the days prior to the draft, the Saints opted to focus on Hawk instead of Williams.

So if the Texans had stayed with Bush, Hawk would have gone No. 2 to the Saints, Vince Young would have been taken at No. 3 by the Titans, Williams would have gone to the Jets at No. 4, and the Packers likely would have selected tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson at No. 5.

The Jets, we heard, would have tried to develop Williams into a Richard Seymour-type fixture in their new 3-4 scheme.
    Well, Reggie helped the Packers. D'Brick might have been the LG instead of Colledge.

2. Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool I own a website

Ratings:
    +8
    D'Brick is a Tackle and doesn't fit the mold of a Guard. We would have had to (mistakenly I might add) move Clifton or Taush to guard :(

3. DePack

DePack Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    I think we may have traded down under this scenario.

4. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Well......i think it worked out great for us! So i'm happy it went the way it did!

5. smlutz

smlutz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I concur cheesey.

6. CaliforniaCheez

Ratings:
    +0
    Ferguson is 6' 5.5" and 310 lbs.

Colledge is 6' 4.5" and 300 lbs.

Very similar physically.

7. kmac

kmac Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Except Ferguson has the quickness of the average 250 pound guy, and Colledge is just a solid athlete for his size.

8. Hammer

Hammer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    This is just chat fodder, but, I heard that Brick got his *** handed to him at the Senior Bowl. For what that's worth because I didn't see it and the media is always looking for chinks in the armor.
    Hammer

9. NDPackerFan

NDPackerFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    Really??? I heard that D'Brick handed Mathias Kiwanuka's a$$ to him as well as others during the Senior Bowl. I didn't see it either though...

10. CaliforniaCheez

Ratings:
    +0
    Colledge 40 time 5.04 or 4.98 depending on source.
    Ferguson 40 time 5.07 or 5.04 depending on source.

My point is that you hear some criticisms over some of these guys and the items are rather minor. Some of the exagerations are over minor items also.

The Packers were lucky Colledge was still on the board when then drafted again. His differences with Ferguson are not as great as the difference between Hawk and who was available at LB in the second round.

Had the Packers drafted Ferguson he would be playing LG this year too.

11. DePack

DePack Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    40 times really have nothing to do with quickness for offensive linemen. I'd like to know what their 10 yard time is. I think they record that at the combine also.