Saints released OLB/DE Junior Gallette

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Really good pass rusher....wonder whats going on with him?

OP
OP
Vrill

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interesting. Wonder if any team will sign him? Hes a young good pass rusher.

D

Deleted member 6794

Interesting. Wonder if any team will sign him? Hes a young good pass rusher.

I guess some team will sign him. If you wonder about the Packers signing him though I don´t see that happening.

H

HardRightEdge

OLB is not exactly a Packer priority. A reasonably priced DL or TE released under more benign circumstances would be more interesting.

D

Deleted member 6794

OLB is not exactly a Packer priority. A reasonably priced DL or TE released under more benign circumstances would be more interesting.

As you´re well aware of the Packers will most likey need an upgrade at the position as soon as the 2016 season. Galette is an intriguing talent but his off the field issues and his price tag all but guarantee he won´t end up in green and gold.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the Saints are releasing him for alleged-conduct-unbecoming then I'd wager he's not coming here. Whomever is in the video deserves a few whips from a belt himself. Coward.

H

HardRightEdge

As you´re well aware of the Packers will most likey need an upgrade at the position as soon as the 2016 season. Galette is an intriguing talent but his off the field issues and his price tag all but guarantee he won´t end up in green and gold.
Certainly. I had OLB as a 2015 draft priority along with ILB and CB. With Neal and Perry in their contract years, and Peppers' sell-by date uncertain, the OLB position in the 2016 draft could be next year's version of cover corner in the 2015 draft...a position of depth flipping to a position of weakness.

However, you're not likely to find any longer term OLB alternative at this juncture, and there's no particular short-term need at the position for 2015. Younger quality players at the position won't be hitting the market now without red flags, as with Gallette. Perhaps a serviceable vet might hit the market in cut downs, but that's not what's needed.

We've already discussed the tight cap situation for 2017 where Peppers' cap hit will have already rolled off. Replacing him with a quality FA at some point would squeeze the cap that much further.

My guess, at this very early juncture, is we'll be talking quite a bit about OLB draft prospects leading up to next year's draft, with Peppers year-to-year and either Neal or Perry gone in free agency, with Perry's departure being my very early call.

If, by chance, there is an unsigned, accomplished 27 year old edge rusher with an injury question mark (a la Gresham), which I don't believe there is, he might be invited for a visit. If his medicals are clean, somebody else will sign him for a higher offer.

TE and DL, on the other hand, are not very strong positions. Quarless is in his contract year besides being an ordinary player with a fresh rap sheet and a likely suspension. He was a possible short-timer before his recent boneheaded incident. Some short term vet help might be in order, and it might not cost very much.

In the end, we all know (1) Thompson's vet FA signings are few and far between and (2) they are even fewer from this point on the calender to the end of the season. The only one of note in the latter category I can think of is when he brought in Howard Green in 2010 as a rent-a-player when the D-Line was down to 3 healthy players.

So, the entire project of sniffing out a possible signing between now and the end of the season is more of an exercise in futility than the futile free agent signing period.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HardRightEdge

If I may share a politically incorrect image, this incident reminds me of the most bizarre and outrageous album cover in my recollection. "A" instead "An" caps the impression. Like Gallette, Burnside happens to be pretty good at his craft.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

D

Deleted member 6794

My guess, at this very early juncture, is we'll be talking quite a bit about OLB draft prospects leading up to next year's draft, with Peppers a FA and either Neal or Perry gone in free agency, with Perry's departure being my very early call.

I agree with nearly all you posted above, just a quick note. Peppers is under contract for the 2016 season with a $10.5 million cap hit. The Packers would save $8 million in cap space if Peppers' performance declines this season and Thompson doesn't want to bring him back.

H

HardRightEdge

I agree with nearly all you posted above, just a quick note. Peppers is under contract for the 2016 season with a $10.5 million cap hit. The Packers would save $8 million in cap space if Peppers' performance declines this season and Thompson doesn't want to bring him back.
Sure, but when we looked at the 2017 cap hit of the current top players, the percentage of the projected $160 mil cap dedicated to those players was meaningfully higher than currently. Adding another high priced free agent as a Peppers replacement, or any high priced free agent at all, would appear prohibitive.

D

Deleted member 6794

Sure, but when we looked at the 2017 cap hit of the current top players, the percentage of the projected $160 mil cap dedicated to those players was meaningfully higher than currently. Adding another high priced free agent as a Peppers replacement, or any high priced free agent at all, would appear prohibitive.

Completely agree with that and I´ve mentioned in this thread that there´s no way the Packers sign Galette. I was just addressing you posting that Peppers would be a free agent next season.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Less the off the field issues, but the reports of the Saints having locker room issues makes me want nothing to do with him

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Saints are pretty wobbly and inconsistent the last few years. I wouldn't be in a huge rush to pick up any of that mess.

paulska

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Less the off the field issues, but the reports of the Saints having locker room issues makes me want nothing to do with him
What is it with New Orleans and locker room BS? There was the whole Joe Horn/Willie Roaf cuckold mess that saw a HOF LT leave town for KC, the bounty thing, Darren Sharper's predatory ****** crimes late career, and based on the snippet in Peter King's MMQB today with Scott Fujita's quip about Galette being a tool, seems like it's still a gongshow.

For all the respect he gets as a head coach, Sean Payton's locker room sure is dodgy...

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What is it with New Orleans and locker room BS? There was the whole Joe Horn/Willie Roaf cuckold mess that saw a HOF LT leave town for KC, the bounty thing, Darren Sharper's predatory ****** crimes late career, and based on the snippet in Peter King's MMQB today with Scott Fujita's quip about Galette being a tool, seems like it's still a gongshow.

For all the respect he gets as a head coach, Sean Payton's locker room sure is dodgy...
Don't forget him stealing pills

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Saints have some serious cap issues, which probably also contributed to the release.

They haven't done well as far as cap management recently. Signing Byrd for a huge deal while not having much space is a great example.

D

Deleted member 6794

Saints have some serious cap issues, which probably also contributed to the release.

They haven't done well as far as cap management recently. Signing Byrd for a huge deal while not having much space is a great example.

Galette´s release results in more than $17.45 million of dead money counting against the Saints´ cap over the next two seasons. By holding on to him New Orleans would have actually saved $3.7 million in cap space until 2016. That move wasn´t made for cap savings.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Galette´s release results in more than $17.45 million of dead money counting against the Saints´ cap over the next two seasons. By holding on to him New Orleans would have actually saved $3.7 million in cap space until 2016. That move wasn´t made for cap savings.
OUCH! when a team is willing to eat that much cap money on a younger, effective pass rusher that says something

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Interesting. Thanks. Saints seem like an organization that aren't sure what they are doing right now. Already in a cap mess and they create 17 million in dead money. Or Galette had some serious issues.

D

Deleted member 6794