Saints fans are insane

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dude im not gonna lie, for awhile I thought you were one of those Kevin Bacon crazy fans because id just glance over it real quick. Never realized that was Tom Brady til now lol.
Funny you should mention that because I do like Kevin Bacon in some movies I've watched.
Like I just watched most of Tremors the other day. Again.

Someone else thought he looked like John Travolta.
Oh My God!
We got a BradyTravoltaBacon clone!
And all three are 6 degrees of each other.
(Sports is not a far cry from entertainment these days, I'm afraid.)

Ness

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Drew Brees the best quarterback ever? Please. He's making his case for one of the best that has ever played the position, sure. But just because he has a bunch of inflated statistics thanks to the rule changes in the NFL and having the luxury of playing half of his games in a dome, shouldn't cloud people's judgement. Three passers went over 5,000 yards this season. That's a sign of the times. Great quarterback. Best of all time? No. That's absurd. Some Saints fans are being delusional.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Drew Brees the best quarterback ever? Please. He's making his case for one of the best that has ever played the position, sure. But just because he has a bunch of inflated statistics thanks to the rule changes in the NFL and having the luxury of playing half of his games in a dome, shouldn't cloud people's judgement. Three passers went over 5,000 yards this season. That's a sign of the times. Great quarterback. Best of all time? No. That's absurd. Some Saints fans are being delusional.

Agreed 100% Clearly, Rodgers is the best QB of all time. Stoopid Saints fans...

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll entertain Favre Rodgers rankings for #2 all time in Packer history when ranking QBs but Starr sits alone on that mountain.

Reaction score
He wasn't the best QB in 2009?

Drew Brees 365/514, 70.6%, 4,388 yards, 34 TD/11 INT
Peyton Manning 393/571, 68.8%, 4,500 yards, 33 TD/16 INT

Looks like he out played everyone's favorite for MVP that season, and in the Super Bowl, everyone over looks the stats for the interception but Brees had far better numbers than Manning. I've never seen a QB ever play at his level and constantly get snubbed, Brees puts up MVP numbers in 2009, losses the MVP for the golden boy, and people still talk like he's not good enough.

Forgot to mention Peyton didn't really get a chance to play the final two games, otherwise the colts would have been 16-0 and peyton's stats would have been better than that.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
Forgot to mention Peyton didn't really get a chance to play the final two games, otherwise the colts would have been 16-0 and peyton's stats would have been better than that.

Wrong, Manning did play part time in those games, look up stats, they don't lie.
He started against Buffalo in the snow on the first few drives, threw an interception, benched and they got blown out. Even if he played that entire game, Colts still would have lost, cause they were struggling in the snow. If you want to bring that up you can say that about Brees not playing against Carolina, he didn't even start that game. 2009 your MVP was Drew Brees going by statistics. Regular season wins don't count, only Super Bowl win over Manning does.

Reaction score
Regular Season/League MVP Award goes to the Guy with more regular season wins (peyton)
Superbowl MVP Award goes to Guy that got it done in the playoffs (brees)
plus, Peyton had Jim Caldwell as his Head Coach, had to lead like 5 or so comebacks.

GVN2FLY

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If they are going by stats for MVP then Brees definitely was the MVP in 2009 but Peyton was everyone's golden child -- he got the MVP by popularity/homerism votes. :tdown: I couldn't believe Brees didn't get it that year -- he was clearly the MVP. This is why I hate the media who votes for the MVP award. Clearly by stats Rodgers should be MVP this year and the Media keep saying Rodgers STATS are better than Brees.. you can't ignore Rodgers STATS. Then WTH happened in 2009? If STATS are all then why did Manning get it?

Seriously, MVP award needs to be awarded another way not by the MEDIA.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes we are insane. If you've ever been in the Dome for a big game there'd be no doubt in your mind.

As far as the MVP discussion goes I could care less. It's just the opinion of 50 fat blowhards anyway. I guess it would look good on Drew's HOF resume' though.

I registered here specifically to join in this discussion. And just for the record it's nice to see that there are still some classy fan boards around. It's pretty sad to see some of the things that I hear when I visit other boards. (Still get Katrina jokes and people making derogatory remarks our SB season, being called *******, hick etc..)

Also, glad to see people in other cities recognizing what a class act Drew Brees is. We love this guy not just because of what he's done for our team but because of who he is and what kind of man he is.

But let's not discount what he does on the field. No QB has ever done what Brees has done over a six year period. If you're a stats person look it up. It's amazing.) I'm an old dog. Unlike a lot of the posters here (or anywhere else for that matter) I vividly remember watching Starr, Taylor, Willie Woods and all the great players from the Lombardi years. In my opinion those were the best teams to ever play in the NFL. i was a Colts fan so hated those guys but you have to give credit where it's due. I also remember Marino, Unitas, Tarkenton, Staubach and that **** Montana. Call me a homer if you want but Brees is absolutely as good as any QB I've ever watched. Rodgers is having a great season, maybe one of the greatest, I expect that in a few years he'll be in the discussion as one of the best ever but it takes more than one or two seasons to qualify.

Stats aren't the be all that a lot of people seem to think they are but they do tell a story. Here are a few of Drew's,
NFL INDIVIDUAL RECORDS SET
  • Passing yards, season: Drew Brees, 5,467 (beats Marino)
  • Seasons, 400 completions: Brees, 4, 2007-2008, 2010-2011.
  • 300-yard passing games, season: Brees, 13. (beats Ganon)
  • 350-yard passing games, season: Brees, 8.
  • Games with 30 completions, season: Brees, 9.
  • Consecutive games, 20 or more completions: Brees, 36.
  • Consecutive seasons, 350 completions: Brees, 6, 2006-2011
  • Games with 20 completions, season: Brees, 16. (ties his own record)
  • Highest completion percentage, season: Brees, (468/657) 71.23% (beats his old record)
  • Completions, season: Brees, 468. (beats Manning)
  • Consecutive games, 300 or more yards passing: Brees, 7. (beats Young,Warner,Gannon)
  • Number of seasons throwing over 5,000 yards: Brees 2 (2008 and 2011)
NFL TEAM RECORDS SET

• Yards gained, season: 7,474. (beats St. Louis, 2000)
  • First downs, season: 417. (beats Kansas City, 2004)
  • First downs passing, season: 280. (beats San Diego, 1985)
  • Passing completions, season: 472. (beats Indianapolis, New Orleans, 2010)
  • Net passing yards gained, season: 5,347 (beats St. Louis, 2000)
  • Completion percentage, season: 71.3% (482/662). (beats Cincinnati, 1982)
  • Most points scored at home: 329
  • 3rd down conversion: 56.7% (this to me is the most over looked)
The one that hurts him is the ints. He has a tendency to try to force it when there's nothing there rather than just take the sack. On the other hand some of his best plays happen when he forces it. Marques Colston has made a career out of catching the ball with three guys hanging all over him. Rodgers will just run for the first in that situation. He's really good at it. But I'd rather see Drew throw a pick 6 than see him get busted up.
I don't agree you can't put Rodgers up there with Brees. Brees, in his career, has had 3 100+ rating seasons (10 years as starter). Rodgers has the same 3, but in 4 seasons as a starter. Rodgers' TD% has been higher than 5.2 each year, and has gone up each year (5.2, 5.5, 5.9, 9.0). Brees has only surpassed 5.0 5 times, half of his career. INT%, Rodgers has never gone above 2.4 (Brees is 2.1 this year), while Brees has gone BELOW that mark only 4 seasons. In the same light, Brees has had a YPA higher than 8 only 4 times, whereas Rodgers had only 1 season (his first) below 8.0.

Rodgers is currently the all-time leader in career passer rating, regular season passer rating, postseason passer rating, has the lowest INT% in history, he is 3rd all time in YPA, only behind players from the dead ball era Otto Graham and Sid Luckman, but there's a caveat. Sid Luckman never had a season with more than 60% completions, and Otto Graham did it only 2 times. Rodgers has never had less than 63.3% completion in a season. He is 10th in TD%, but he is the best QB in TD% since 1975. And he is 4th in career completion % (Brees is 2nd).

Let me put it in this terms: Since 1975, in a single pass, regardless if it's regular season or postseason, on average, nobody throws farther, with more chance of it being a TD and with less chance of being an INT. And only 4 guys throw it with a better chance of it being completed.

Quite simply, since 1975, and I'll argue all time, there hasn't been a QB more efficient than Aaron Rodgers.

This is not to show that Rodgers is better than Brees. Is to show you just how good Aaron Rodgers is, and to to put any doubts to bed regarding Rodgers' candicacy as a Hall of Famer.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Manning 4 MVP's and only 1 Super Bowl, enough said.

Brees. 1 Super Bowl and no MVPs. And he beat a freaking Larry Coyer D in the SB with a one legged Freeney. Wooooow.

Enough said.

Dude you looooooooooove Brees. It's so obvious. But, lets stop being so biased. Peyton has carried a lot of very very flawed teams in this league and led them to the playoffs EVERY single season. Not even Brees has led his teams to the playoffs every year has he?

I know you love Brees to pieces but let's not put down Manning or even Brady at times to build your home town boy up.

As far as I am concerned in 2009 Manning deserved 3 MVPs for covering up the millions of mistakes of a rookie coach in Jim Caldwell and having ZERO run game.

Once again you and the Saints fan can go around talking about how robbed Brees was in 2009 all you want but the facts also don't lie. Manning creamed Brees in MVP voting and if not for Manning and so many comebacks that year that team was sunk.

Oh and is Rodgers better then Brees? You bet your who dat he is. He is the younger and bigger talent. Brees is getting older now like Brady/Manning. His fans will only get more and more uptight the older he gets and time is ticking for more glory.

Since nobody ever repeats the NFC South as the winner who wins it next year? Congrats to Cam Newton!!!!!

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Wrong, Manning did play part time in those games, look up stats, they don't lie.
He started against Buffalo in the snow on the first few drives, threw an interception, benched and they got blown out. Even if he played that entire game, Colts still would have lost, cause they were struggling in the snow. If you want to bring that up you can say that about Brees not playing against Carolina, he didn't even start that game. 2009 your MVP was Drew Brees going by statistics. Regular season wins don't count, only Super Bowl win over Manning does.

I am glad you can see the future. Or the past. Or whatever. And don't pretend to know what the situation was when you don't heading into that game.

As far as I was concerned I was a bit suprised that team even made it to the big one. The morale was completley destroyed as soon as they pulled the perfect season in front of fans week 16 and the crowd was booing their ***** off. A players only meeting had to be called.

Brees still has a lot to prove to me for me to put him in the category of an all time great despite one season where they get home field and all the breaks go there way for 3 games. They have been an even softer dome team then the Colts ever were.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
If they are going by stats for MVP then Brees definitely was the MVP in 2009 but Peyton was everyone's golden child -- he got the MVP by popularity/homerism votes. :tdown: I couldn't believe Brees didn't get it that year -- he was clearly the MVP. This is why I hate the media who votes for the MVP award. Clearly by stats Rodgers should be MVP this year and the Media keep saying Rodgers STATS are better than Brees.. you can't ignore Rodgers STATS. Then WTH happened in 2009? If STATS are all then why did Manning get it?

Seriously, MVP award needs to be awarded another way not by the MEDIA.

Hilarious. All I heard in 2009 all I heard about in the media was Katrina. How the Saints winning was helping the city. I am not an idiot either. The Colts were favored by Vegas to win it all but everyone and their uncle wanted the Saints to win and rooted for them. Katrina. It's all I heard about.

People wanted the Colts to fail much like they always do the Patriots. The good guys were in New Orleans.

I am not even that bitter though about the SB. I think a well coached Colts team does win that game in the end but overall it was supposed to be a transition season with a new head coach and it really wasn't.

I would take Sean Payton any day over Jim Caldwell and so would anyone with half a brain.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brees. 1 Super Bowl and no MVPs. And he beat a freaking Larry Coyer D in the SB with a one legged Freeney. Wooooow.

Enough said.

Dude you looooooooooove Brees. It's so obvious. But, lets stop being so biased. Peyton has carried a lot of very very flawed teams in this league and led them to the playoffs EVERY single season. Not even Brees has led his teams to the playoffs every year has he?

I know you love Brees to pieces but let's not put down Manning or even Brady at times to build your home town boy up.

As far as I am concerned in 2009 Manning deserved 3 MVPs for covering up the millions of mistakes of a rookie coach in Jim Caldwell and having ZERO run game.

Once again you and the Saints fan can go around talking about how robbed Brees was in 2009 all you want but the facts also don't lie. Manning creamed Brees in MVP voting and if not for Manning and so many comebacks that year that team was sunk.

Oh and is Rodgers better then Brees? You bet your who dat he is. He is the younger and bigger talent. Brees is getting older now like Brady/Manning. His fans will only get more and more uptight the older he gets and time is ticking for more glory.

Since nobody ever repeats the NFC South as the winner who wins it next year? Congrats to Cam Newton!!!!!
I'm not gonna make a case that Brees had a better career than Peyton and Brady, I don't think he did, but IMHO Manning won the award in 09 out of sheer name recognition.

Both guys led their teams to the best record in their conferences, both went a long time undefeated, but Brees did it with a better completion %, better touchdown %, better int %, and better YPA.

I understand the talk that the Saints were a better team than the Colts, and that Peyton carried that team, but you can't punish Brees for playing in a better team. And it's not like the Saints didn't run on Brees, he was as vital to them as Peyton was to the Colts.

If they had played similar seasons, then I would have no problem with the award being given to Manning. But Brees had a much better season than Manning, and should've won the award.

Eric87

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Count me among those who thinks Brees should have won the MVP in 2009. I'm sure he prefers his Super bowl ring. I also think Brees had his best season ever this year, but Rodgers has been even better and should win the MVP.

I have Peyton Manning ranked as the #13 greatest QB of all time. I have a long list that tries to look only at total accomplishments, with championships being the biggest piece of the puzzle. The top two QBs with only one championship on the list are Brett Favre at #12 and Peyton at #13.

Drew Brees is already a top 30 all-time QB, and I think this year might be the year he becomes a Hall of Famer. If he wins a couple playoff games, it will remove all doubt. You can put all the excuses on Brees that you like. His arm isn't the biggest in the game, he just stands in the pocket behind a couple all-pro guards, in a dome, and throws it to the deepest group of skill players in football. And? The Saints offense is bonkers, and Brees is the guy who makes it work. It's a ridiculously prolific and efficient offense, the passing offense is the identity of the team, and it's brought them four 10-win seasons and a championship.

If Brees appears in his third conference championship game this year, he is a Hall of Famer, somewhere around the #27 QB of all time. If he wins a second Super bowl this year, I could see jumping him to about #19. He's a great one.

As for Rodgers, he's not in the top 50 yet. He's only been a starter for four years, and there are just too many old timers that people forget about. If he wins a second Super bowl this year, he'll probably jump into the top 40. Some people try to say he is the second greatest Packer QB already; I have him as 5th or 6th among Packers!

If Brady wins a fourth championship this year, he might jump Bart Starr for #6. If Roethlisberger wins a third championship, he would become a Hall of Famer and move into the top 30.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As for Rodgers, he's not in the top 50 yet. He's only been a starter for four years, and there are just too many old timers that people forget about. If he wins a second Super bowl this year, he'll probably jump into the top 40. Some people try to say he is the second greatest Packer QB already; I have him as 5th or 6th among Packers!.

This was the point where you lost me. 5th or 6th with the greatest Packers QB season of all time?

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This was the point where you lost me. 5th or 6th with the greatest Packers QB season of all time?
Agreed.

What Rodgers has done in only 4 seasons as a starter merits every talk about him being one of the all-time best. The stats support it, and he has the hardware to show for.

Quite frankly, the only way Rodgers doesn't end up in the conversation as a top 5 all time is if he suffers a bizarre injury and can't play effectively anymore. He has the mental makeup to mantain the success, and there doesn't figure to be many changes in his offense, all the weapons outside Finley are locked up for quite a while, plus they're all young.

PackMan13x

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why do you guys even go there and read posts? Of course they are praising their team, they had a good year. I, personally, couldn't give a rats *** what they have to say or think. What I am worried about is what happens this weekend and who we play next weekend. Go Pack!

Eric87

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Top Packer QBs.

1. Bart Starr
2. Brett Favre
3. Arnie Herber
4. Red Dunn
5. Aaron Rodgers or Cecil Isbell

Look through their accomplishments. Herber played in three championship games in four years, winning twice, but stepped away when Cecil Isbell was surpassing what he could do. He led the league in passing three times (including twice before Don Hutson arrived) and held or was tied for the three major QB records (completions, yards and TDs) when he retired from the Packers (although Sammy Baugh and Sid Luckman would demolish those records very quickly).

Isbell was on the 1939 champions with Herber, and posted several amazing seasons (including the first 2,000 yard passing season) indicating he may have been on a level with Baugh and Luckman throughout the 40s, but instead he retired young. If Rodgers lost in the first round this year and then retired, he would seem similarly nominal 70 years from now.

Red Dunn was one of the only passers of his era to actually line up as a QB, directly behind the linemen (although not under center). He was a field general and passer, and received special commendation from Curly Lambeau in his victory speech following the 1929 championship. He also played on the 1930 and 31 championship teams, making him the only three time champion QB not in the Hall of Fame.

Don't underestimate Packers history, or overestimate how important one amazing season is before the playoffs even start. Ranking Rodgers higher than Herber or Dunn just based on pure accomplishments would be wrong, even if Rodgers throws more passes in a season than Herber did in 3 or 4.

Rodgers has a long, long way to go to sniff the top five all time.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Top Packer QBs.

1. Bart Starr
2. Brett Favre
3. Arnie Herber
4. Red Dunn
5. Aaron Rodgers or Cecil Isbell

Rodgers has a long, long way to go to sniff the top five all time.

You just put him in the top 5 yourself.... somewhat bewildered with the contradiction

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Honestly if Brees won it in 2009 I would have been fine with it. I don't know all the numbers. I am not a total number ***** either. I use the eye test a lot too. What Peyton did with what IMO was the beginning of the Colts decline in 2008 was remarkable. The o line in 2009 sucked. When you have Charlie Johnson at LT you have issues already. The run game was atrocious. Jim Caldwell should be working at Burger King IMO.

Not saying Brees did not deserve it either. I just think Peyton did deserve it too and it might be his last top season so maybe thats why I get defensive. Actually it very well could be his last hurah in 2009 sadly.

Heck in 2009 Tony Dungy said once near the end of the year that Favre was the MVP. Boy, did that get some fans in an uproar.

I am not a total Peyton homer either. I have criticized him time and time again. I just think a few of his regular seasons were incredible and he was worthy whether his name is Manning or not. I sometimes think the golden boy talk is ridiculous at times. If anything I always felt Eli was the benefit of the name not Peyton.

Not saying Brees isn't great. He is IMO the third best QB in the league though right now behind Rodgers then Brady in terms of who truly impresses me. We all have our own opinions.

In fact Aaron Rodgers barring major injury could surpass many. He flat out amazes me at times. I don't need numbers either. I might actually prefer Rodgers to Manning if you compare them in their late 20's.

IF the Packer repeat this year no doubt Aaron moves up in all time great conversations IMO. You can't ever ignore a repeat title QB no matter how much it is a team sport IMO.

Sounds like Aaron may win MVP this year. People will say Brees was robbed in 2009. Many may also say he was robbed this season. So be it. Not much anyone can do. I am not a Saints fan so it's not my problem.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts