Safety Manuel is struggling

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
By Dylan B. Tomlinson
Gannett Wisconsin Newspapers

Marquand Manuel is extremely defensive, but not in the way the Green Bay Packers want him to be.

When the Packers signed Manuel to a five-year, $10 million contract this offseason, he was supposed to be the answer to their problems at strong safety. Manuel started 11 games for the Seattle Seahawks last season and was expected to be the upgrade the Packers needed.

Instead, Manuel, who has yet to become the impact player the Packers expected him to be, has struggled.

On Wednesday, Manuel stood at his locker and did his best to dodge questions about his play.

Marquand, are you happy with the way you're playing?

"Am I having fun playing football? Is that what you're asking me?" Manuel said.

Are you happy with the way you're playing?

"Are you asking me if I'm happy with the way I'm playing, and do I play the game for fun?" Manuel said. "That's what you're asking me. That's how I'm interpreting the question."

If Manuel were able to deflect passes as well as he can deflect questions, the Packers' pass defense might not be ranked 31st among the NFL's 32 teams.

The Packers' defensive secondary has struggled, particularly the safeties. After adding cornerback Charles Woodson and Manuel during the offseason, the Packers were expected to be vastly improved from a year ago.

Nobody is more frustrated by that than Manuel, who appears to be shouldering a bulk of the blame.

"It doesn't make sense. That's the only comment I can tell you," Manuel said. "It doesn't make sense. That's all I can tell me. It doesn't make sense, man"

In each of the Packers' last three games, the safeties have given up a long touchdown pass. On Sunday, it was a 54-yard touchdown pass from Tom Brady to Reche Caldwell, Manuel's former college teammate at Florida who he should have been covering. Instead, Manuel was caught out of position.

Manuel's problems on Sunday didn't end with Caldwell's touchdown. After the game, Manuel made some comments that caught McCarthy's attention.

"We got outcoached, and we got outplayed today," Manuel said after the game. "That's all that happened. That's all that happened, man. It was just an embarrassment all the way around. We've just got to go back to the drawing board now and get everything ready to go. Now we've put ourselves in another hole seeing that we can't get over .500."

McCarthy was not pleased with the comments and had a private meeting with Manuel on Monday to discuss them. McCarthy repeatedly has defended Manuel's play this season.

"He's been put in some tough spots, but you know on the positive side of it, he's a very knowledgeable player," McCarthy said. "I think he's clearly the best communicator back there. It has been an adjustment coming from the scheme he came (from) to here. But there are some plays we need to get fixed. It's not just always one guy. If it was always one thing, I think we would have fixed it by now."

Packers secondary coach Kurt Schottenheimer also defended Manuel's play.

"I think he's getting better all the time," Schottenheimer said. "I think everybody on this team was very, very disappointed by what happened and that's what you expect to see. We gave up a long touchdown. That's part of the game. I don't think we were the only team to do that."

Manuel will be facing his old team on Monday night, but it hardly will be a triumphant homecoming. Manuel wouldn't comment on specific plays, but said the only thing that matters is if he can help the Packers to a victory.

"I don't read the stats. Did we win or did we lose? Did we execute or didn't we execute?" Manuel said. "That's the bottom line. At the end of the year, you look at whatever you gave up. You look at that at the end of the year.

"All I care about is winning. Nothing else matters."

Dylan B. Tomlinson writes for The Post-Crescent of Appleton. E-mail him at [email protected]

Wow, Manuel is struggling? After how many games did this guy finally realize that?

Reaction score
Manuel is struggling???

I thought he has been showing our players how not to play this whole time..... :shock:

But yeah, to say Manuel is struggling is an understatement..... He has been a HUUUUGGGGGEEEEEEE bust.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
An Astute observation!!

The author must have watched a Packer game this season.

What about the miscommunication? Manuel according to Schottenheimer is the best communnicator.

I note with concern that little was said about solutions, changes, or progress.

dxbfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MM seems to have chosen his words very carefully when talking about Manuel. Even acknowledging him as a very 'knowledgeable player' and 'the best communicator'. Ironic choice of qualities to list when miscommunication is cited as the biggest problem with the secondary. But on the other hand its also the same choice of qualities that TT cited for signing him in the first place.

As I said in another thread, it would seem that Manuel is being judged by other parameters than blown coverage and being out of position.

PackFanInSC

Cheesehead
Reaction score
By Dylan B. Tomlinson
Gannett Wisconsin Newspapers

"Am I having fun playing football? Is that what you're asking me?" Manuel said.

Are you happy with the way you're playing?

"Are you asking me if I'm happy with the way I'm playing, and do I play the game for fun?" Manuel said. "That's what you're asking me. That's how I'm interpreting the question."

"It doesn't make sense. That's the only comment I can tell you," Manuel said. "It doesn't make sense. That's all I can tell me. It doesn't make sense, man"

"We got outcoached, and we got outplayed today," Manuel said after the game. "That's all that happened. That's all that happened, man. It was just an embarrassment all the way around. We've just got to go back to the drawing board now and get everything ready to go. Now we've put ourselves in another hole seeing that we can't get over .500."

"I don't read the stats. Did we win or did we lose? Did we execute or didn't we execute?" Manuel said. "That's the bottom line. At the end of the year, you look at whatever you gave up. You look at that at the end of the year.

Is it just me or does he repeat himself alot? If he says it enough, maybe everyone else will start to believe it? Maybe he was still talking during those long plays. Being the "communicator" does not mean the one who talks the most -- Great communicators get the point across concisely and then move on.

What professional player does not look at the fact that he is constantly getting burned until the end of the season? What happened to watching film and making adjustments? Is he 1) so arrogant that he does not believe that the mistakes are his; 2) too stupid to know that he is looking really bad; or 3) just so over his head that he does not know how a professional is supposed to play?

dxbfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"The Seahawks were interested in bringing Manuel back, but couldn't guarantee him a starting spot, and they had other priorities when free agency began."

Hawks Notebook

Did everyone know that? Given that his exit in the superbowl really hurt Seattle, not only would you think they'd want him back but would have him starting as well. But obviously we're not the only ones who have issues with him.

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The title of this thread is an understatement lol. But I think Shottenheimer deserves some blame too. The thing I'm most dissappoited in is MM cant fix the problem. He acts like he gets tired of anwering questions about blown coverage every week. Well, were tired of seeing recievers so wide open they can stand in one spot for 10 seconds, waving their arms before they catch it. Fix the problem already.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
well MM "IS" an offensive minded coach. Yes, he "IS" a HEAD COACH now, but he is a rookie, and he is leaning heavily on his defensive coaches, and mostly its not bad, except the secondary coaches of death.

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
well MM "IS" an offensive minded coach. Yes, he "IS" a HEAD COACH now, but he is a rookie, and he is leaning heavily on his defensive coaches, and mostly its not bad, except the secondary coaches of death.
True. The frustrating thing is, that the rest of the D has been pretty good. Especially the pass rush.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hear ya, all we can do is hope they improve or get fired(shotty and washington, that is)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts