Safeties

Luca

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Name 5 Safeties that can play Centerfield, and the LOS. Now name 5 Safeties in this draft you think can and why. There's a difference between wanting something, and actually being able to get it. It's called a pipe dream. Give me a cover man, and teach him how to play the LOS. MD Jennings started over Jerron McMillian and Sean Richardson for a reason.

That's obviously a difficult question. I honestly don't think there are only few guys in the draft that might do both.

First, I think that Jimmy Ward could play free safety, strong safety and slot corner. He is solid in both man and zone coverage. So I think he might play centerfield and in the box as well. His size however is a big concern. I do however feel that he might be a better free safety than strong safety. I do however believe that he is overrated by some. I would never spend a first rounder on this guy.

Second, Calvin Pryor. Pryor is an excellent in the box defender. He also has the speed and athletic ability to play centerfield, but I doubt whether he has the cover skills to play free safety.

Third, maybe Dion Bailey. He seems an instinctive guy that can make tackle in the run game and cover. The question is whether he is fast enough to play centerfield. I think he will be a strong safety in the NFL.

I do however like Clinton-Dix and Terrence Brooks better than those three guys.

D

Deleted member 6794

That's obviously a difficult question. I honestly don't think there are only few guys in the draft that might do both.

First, I think that Jimmy Ward could play free safety, strong safety and slot corner. He is solid in both man and zone coverage. So I think he might play centerfield and in the box as well. His size however is a big concern. I do however feel that he might be a better free safety than strong safety. I do however believe that he is overrated by some. I would never spend a first rounder on this guy.

Second, Calvin Pryor. Pryor is an excellent in the box defender. He also has the speed and athletic ability to play centerfield, but I doubt whether he has the cover skills to play free safety.

Third, maybe Dion Bailey. He seems an instinctive guy that can make tackle in the run game and cover. The question is whether he is fast enough to play centerfield. I think he will be a strong safety in the NFL.

All of the three guys you mentioned could play free safety, I highly doubt they could play the position as a single high safety though. Therefore they aren´t the players the Packers should be looking for.

Dylan Hoppe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Polamalu was a complete complete coverage liability early on, Labeau used any means necessary to hide him. Took him years to figure it out under Perry, and thankfully he had Clark to free him up to play his game. Teams all over the league use specialized Safeties, it's nothing to be ashamed of.

That's what I was saying. No disagreement here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score

He's saying that's what we want, so that's what we'll draft. I'm saying it aint that easy, and we'll draft a specialized guy and let him develop into a complete player.

Dylan Hoppe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pryor doesn't have "speed"
He's actually one of the slower safeties of the draft. At least rounds 1-3 prospects

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Pryor doesn't have "speed"
He's actually one of the slower safeties of the draft. At least rounds 1-3 prospects

Pryor doesn't have a "speed problem". He also has a quick burst in short spaces. Some people question his cover skills and ability to be true free safety at next level.

Last edited:

Dylan Hoppe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pryor doesn't have a "speed problem". He also has a quick burst in short spaces. Some people question his cover skills and ability to be true free safety at next level.

Exactly. Short spaces. I don't think he could play FS. He isn't fast enough to cover in a single high formation. And yes, as a FS, that's a "speed problem" Therefore, he's not the guy I want drafted in the 1st round.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Exactly. Short spaces. I don't think he could play FS. He isn't fast enough to cover in a single high formation. And yes, as a FS, that's a "speed problem" Therefore, he's not the guy I want drafted in the 1st round.

I was much higher on him earlier. I still like him better then Dix even as a free safety. Not sure it really matters because I doubt either will be there at 21 with so many teams needing to reach for a safety. The free safety I like most in the draft is Terrence Brooks .

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO Dix,Pryor and Ward will be gone by the time GB is up.
I think GB needs to draft 2 safeties and if we can get 2 of the next 4 we should be ok.
Agree we need to pick two safeties, just not sure round 1 is the time to do it. I think if Mosley or Shazier are there (and Pryor, Dix and Ward are gone) we take one of them and trade up if necessary in round 2 to get Bucanon.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agree we need to pick two safeties, just not sure round 1 is the time to do it. I think if Mosley or Shazier are there (and Pryor, Dix and Ward are gone) we take one of them and trade up if necessary in round 2 to get Bucanon.
I agree that if those 3 are gone they should not take a safety in round 1.
I don't think Mosley will be around and I wouldn't want Shazier in round 1 either.
I'm thinking in that case they should trade back to possibly trade up in the 2nd as well.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok, most would obviously prefer having guys that do one job and one job only. I personally think that is a great idea when the guy is AMAZING at that one job but, short of having Polamalu, Byrd, Thomas, it can make sense to have two guys who are interchangeable in order to give defensive schemes additional variability. Packers don't currently have a guy who is terrific at one specific safety role, if they get a guy that is, then I'm all for that guy staying in one spot.

D

Deleted member 6794

Bucannon and Ward are both strong safeties the Packers don´t need. Shazier doesn´t fit the defensive scheme.

Members online

Latest posts