Safeties

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Well there is over 300 college football program, so I imagine a solid free safety is out there somewhere. It's TT's job to find him. I am glad they brought in Ron Zook. He should be able to help.

D

Deleted member 6794

I heard the other day on NFL network that Cody Lattimer wasn't asked to run routes at Indiana, but
rather just straight line runs. Anyone else hear or read this? If yes, I would definitely pass on him
the first two rounds. He sounds similar to Stephen Hill of the Jets who is a tall, fast receiver, but
has yet to make a consistent impact in the NFL.

Latimer has still some work to do on his route running, but I think with proper coaching he has the potential to emerge as a quality NFL receiver.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
People are sleeping on Ahmad Dixon from Baylor. I think this guy is going to be a player in the NFL. I watched almost every Baylor game this past year, and in every game, he stood out and made plays. Hes not afraid to hit and hes nasty and is awesome in run support. Hes also not bad against the pass.

Dylan Hoppe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's being paid like a guy who would make that play. So yeah, he has to make it.

Wrong, Thomas is a split end.

You hit fetish idiots can't understand how football is played. You're focusing on the wrong damn Safety. Kam is NOT what this team needs. EARL THOMAS IS. It's because of Earl Thomas that Kam can even fill his role as a Shortfielder, Earl is the linchpin that allows that entire secondary, that entire defense to function.

Draft Earl Thomas, we don't need Kam Chancellor.
People are sleeping on Ahmad Dixon from Baylor. I think this guy is going to be a player in the NFL. I watched almost every Baylor game this past year, and in every game, he stood out and made plays. Hes not afraid to hit and hes nasty and is awesome in run support. Hes also not bad against the pass.

HyponGrey just screamed and pulled his hair out when reading this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dylan Hoppe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I kind of like Avery Patterson as a free safety. Converted CB. Might be a steal later on in the draft. Haven't seen his numbers, but on tape the guy seems fast and instinctual.

D

Deleted member 6794

It would be great if some of you would put some thought into a post and not throw random names out there. Dixon is another strong safety, a position the Packers don´t need to draft. We´re looking for a free safety.

Dylan Hoppe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It would be great if some of you would put some thought into a post and not throw random names out there. Dixon is another strong safety, a position the Packers don´t need to draft. We´re looking for a free safety.

Wouldn't surprise me to see them bolster the SS position with a later round pick as well. We technically don't NEED an ILB. We have at least two that are "good enough" but that doesn't mean the entire packer fanbase isn't hoping Mosley falls to us. I agree FS is a higher need but SS could use a little help after Burnett. Unless Sean Richardson is our answer in that role.

D

Deleted member 6794

Wouldn't surprise me to see them bolster the SS position with a later round pick as well. We technically don't NEED an ILB. We have at least two that are "good enough" but that doesn't mean the entire packer fanbase isn't hoping Mosley falls to us. I agree FS is a higher need but SS could use a little help after Burnett. Unless Sean Richardson is our answer in that role.

I´d rather have Burnett start at strong safety and improve the ILB position than draft a backup at SS. The thing is though that there aren´t a lot of impact ILB in this year´s draft after Mosley. Although he suffered a hamstring injury during the combine I think Yawin Smallwood would be worth a gamble.

Dylan Hoppe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't remember exactly where I saw it but somebody on here was talking about a 2 high formation where Burnett basically had to do his and Jennings job... What if TT is stubborn and uses that as an excuse to try Burnett at FS again while drafting a SS high in the draft and having Hyde compete with the new guy for that starting spot. Basically improving the side we aren't really looking at to make the FS role easier to take on for Burnett? Last year not a single person here could have predicted not drafting a single safety. That makes this all the more possible. GMs don't like to admit mistakes

Dylan Hoppe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I´d rather have Burnett start at strong safety and improve the ILB position than draft a backup at SS. The thing is though that there aren´t a lot of impact ILB in this year´s draft after Mosley. Although he suffered a hamstring injury during the combine I think Yawin Smallwood would be worth a gamble.

I agree. But we draft on the "value" side over need more than any other team in the league which is why we would probably never be able to mock out a good somewhat accurate draft.

Dylan Hoppe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anyway, Avery Patterson has everything but size. Although size may be a big issue with the receivers in our division and going for the jump ball when you're over half a foot shorter than the receiver is a concern. I still think he'd be worth a shot if we try to snatch two FS prospects.

D

Deleted member 6794

Anyway, Avery Patterson has everything but size. Although size may be a big issue with the receivers in our division and going for the jump ball when you're over half a foot shorter than the receiver is a concern. I still think he'd be worth a shot if we try to snatch two FS prospects.

There´s no way I want to have a guy who´s 5-8 at FS.

Dylan Hoppe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There´s no way I want to have a guy who´s 5-8 at FS.

It's only interesting to me because this guy is going to get drafted. Who drafts a 5'8" FS? He must have a lot to offer to be drafted at that size and position.

D

Deleted member 6794

It's only interesting to me because this guy is going to get drafted. Who drafts a 5'8" FS? He must have a lot to offer to be drafted at that size and position.

I´m not sure he´ll be drafted, I think it´s possible that he ends up being an UDFA.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score

The only 5'8 Safety worth drafting is Joyner. TT's never drafted a DB shorter than 5105 though

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
I don't remember exactly where I saw it but somebody on here was talking about a 2 high formation where Burnett basically had to do his and Jennings job... What if TT is stubborn and uses that as an excuse to try Burnett at FS again while drafting a SS high in the draft and having Hyde compete with the new guy for that starting spot. Basically improving the side we aren't really looking at to make the FS role easier to take on for Burnett? Last year not a single person here could have predicted not drafting a single safety. That makes this all the more possible. GMs don't like to admit mistakes
This is my single greatest fear. I could all to easily see it happen, despite the fact that TT has been more willing as of late to admit his mistakes.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
I think it´s really tough to evaluate how a college CB would translate to FS in the NFL. I´d rather draft a guy that has played the position in college.
But Joyner DID play some CF in college. He usually played Shortfield when he played Safety though.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Exactly, if you have a great free safety you don´t want him to play SS.

No, they don´t like to have that option, they have to do out of necessity.

That's just semantics. Of course they'd prefer to have the best free safety in the NFL, but barring that they would rather have variability in the defense rather than be forced to play a mediocre guy at free safety on EVERY snap. In a perfect world you'd have two safeties like the Seahawks that are phenomenal at each role. Well, it's not realistic to plan your defense around having guys like that, not when it's easy enough to change your mind later if you find two guys like that.

Members online

Latest posts