S. Jax

H

HardRightEdge

I was not one of the Jackson tub-thumpers, so when I say this "I told you so" is weak it is not in self-defense.

1. It's not like those advocating Jackson's signing pulled the name off a free agent list...TT invited him in for a chat and likely made an offer. For all we know TT made an equivalent or better offer but Jackson preferred Atlanta. TT having made any reasonable offer at all discredits the "I told you so", but there's more.

2. Claiming that TT eschewed overpaying for Jackson in lieu of drafting Lacy is a gross oversimplification. It's not like he snagged Lacy at the first opportunity or even traded up in the second round. He waited until Lacy fell to pick 61. TT would have had no way of knowing Lacy would still be on the board; in fact he should have been quite surprised he fell that far. Lacy merely represented good value at a need position at #61. TT didn't work for him, plan for him. It was more like serendipity, unless TT can simultaneously mind-read 31 other guys.

3. To paraphrase Mark Twain, reports of Jackson's demise may have been greatly exaggerated. Yes, he's been banged up, missing time with a hamstring. Yes, he's not quite the dynamic back he used to be. But he ran pretty darn well against the Bills this last week and may be the healthiest he's been this year.

If the intent of this "I told you so" is to suggest the Packer defense will demonstrate on Sunday the wisdom of "passing" on Jackson, that just might be a mistake.

If we see (1) the same lackluster tackling and the underreported and quite troubling lack of pursuit across the defense we saw against the Lions and (2) a replay of uninspired offensive line play we saw against the Lions, the Lacy over Jackson argument will not be so compelling.

OP
OP
BorderRivals.com

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll admit it. I was wrong about S. Jax. But, my premise about why we should get a RB like Jackson has proven true, but just in the form of drafting Lacy. So, I'm wrong, but also semi-right?!?! Maybe?!?!

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we go through pasts posts and see how many times posters were right vs when they were wrong being right half the time would probably be good.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In other RB news, Ted Thompson has added another RB to the team, yes in FREE AGENCY.
He signed KAHLIL BELL last night, a journeymen.
What makes me mad is apparently we were deciding between him and another journeyman RB, BRANDON JACKSON.

Neither guy would really, let's be honest, make a dent or difference in where we go.

I am extremely saddened that in a minor move like this, the player who helped us win a Super Bowl, and was a 100% class teammate, was not chosen in favor of an outsider who has never been anything more than just a guy.

Bell was an undrafted guy, played a bit in 3 seasons with the Bears, with his Av Per Carry declining every year, although his overall 4.3 avg is fine.

He's okay, just a guy, and next year we will be getting back DuJuan Harris and Johnathon Franklin, along with Eddie Lacy and James Starks.

Would have been a classy move to employ the former Packer who was all class when here.

I guess the Packers remember how WE made him look like a Pro Bowler 2 Christmas' ago. Remember though, we do that often, see Toby Gerhart.
http://espn.go.com/blog/green-bay-packers/post/_/id/4334/packers-sign-veteran-running-back-bell
Bell worked out for the Packers once last season, but they did not sign him. They brought him back in for a workout on Monday, according to the source, and signed him to a contract for the remainder of this season shortly after his session.

The 5-foot-11, 219-pound Bell had the best game of his career against the Packers on Christmas Day 2011. As a member of the Chicago Bears, Bell rushed for 121 yards on 23 carries

Last edited:
H

HardRightEdge

In other RB news, Ted Thompson has added another RB to the team, yes in FREE AGENCY.
He signed KAHLIL BELL last night, a journeymen.
What makes me mad is apparently we were deciding between him and another journeyman RB, BRANDON JACKSON.

Neither guy would really, let's be honest, make a dent or difference in where we go.

I am extremely saddened that in a minor move like this, the player who helped us win a Super Bowl, and was a 100% class teammate, was not chosen in favor of an outsider who has never been anything more than just a guy.

Bell was an undrafted guy, played a bit in 3 seasons with the Bears, with his Av Per Carry declining every year, although his overall 4.3 avg is fine.

He's okay, just a guy, and next year we will be getting back DuJuan Harris and Johnathon Franklin, along with Eddie Lacy and James Starks.

Would have been a classy move to employ the former Packer who was all class when here.

I guess the Packers remember how WE made him look like a Pro Bowler 2 Christmas' ago. Remember though, we do that often, see Toby Gerhart.
http://espn.go.com/blog/green-bay-packers/post/_/id/4334/packers-sign-veteran-running-back-bell

B-Jax is not a yards-after-contact guy (that's putting it politely). If anybody thinks Lacy's success is substantially attributable to improved run blocking needs to look at that other YAC stat. Nor is B-Jax a little jitterbug/bowling ball like Harris who can hide, dart and knock a guy down from time-to-time. Those are the only two profiles that have worked consistently in the last 3 years.

So, why Kahlil Bell? First, he had a big game against the Packers in 2011...159 yds run+catch. Second, at 5'11, 220 lbs. he edges toward the bowling ball profile. Third, he played at UCLA, and we know TT has an affinity for those California college players...he may have seen something he liked during one of his cold weather scouting trips to the sunny climes.

You're right though...anybody we would have picked up is a jobber at this stage with a lot to prove to make it out of, if not to, next year's training camp.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're right though...anybody we would have picked up is a jobber at this stage with a lot to prove to make it out of, if not to, next year's training camp.
Right, it's a 0.2 move on a 10.0 scale in terms of importance/affect.
So please, if it was between B-Jax and Bell, of the street guys being hired, hire the guy who gave his all TO US, and helped us get to the Super Bowl.

Reward loyalty.

I guess I am just old-fashioned to think that loyalty should be a factor in a meaningless move like this.

Or, haha, Teddy was doing B-Jax a favor NOT bringing him back into this current locker room that is the TITANIC going down with no Godgers at the helm.

H

HardRightEdge

Right, it's a 0.2 move on a 10.0 scale in terms of importance/affect.
So please, if it was between B-Jax and Bell, of the street guys being hired, hire the guy who gave his all TO US, and helped us get to the Super Bowl.

Reward loyalty.

I guess I am just old-fashioned to think that loyalty should be a factor in a meaningless move like this.

Or, haha, Teddy was doing B-Jax a favor NOT bringing him back into this current locker room that is the TITANIC going down with no Godgers at the helm.

I fail to understand your affinity for B-Jax. We won in 2010 despite him, not because of him. He averaged 3.7 that season; take out his 71 yard run and he drops to 3.3. He lost his job to Starks. He was the first in a string of recent 3rd. down backs who gain nothing unless they get clean to the second level...Jackson, Green, now Franklin. We don't spend enough on the offensive line to make that kind of runner work.

Jackson was a good blocker and a decent receiver. That's all...a 3rd. down back who was not much of a threat to run on 3rd. and 3. Trying to make him into the feature back was a big mistake that would have cost us the season had Starks not emerged. In the great scheme of things, he was just a guy.

Last edited by a moderator:

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anybody? I mean I can scroll back and see your guys' comments..

*crickets chirp*

Hypocrisy at its finest. :rolleyes:

Did you seriously disagree with something I wrote nine months ago? I wrote that under the assumption Lacy would be drafted way before the Packers drafted.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did you seriously disagree with something I wrote nine months ago? I wrote that under the assumption Lacy would be drafted way before the Packers drafted.
You're not saying that Jackson would have been a good signing if we didn't draft Lacy, are you?

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're not saying that Jackson would have been a good signing if we didn't draft Lacy, are you?

Let me just start by saying this: I love Eddie Lacy. I wanted Eddie Lacy from the start, especially after watching him destroy Notre Dame. I don't want anybody running the ball for the Packers for the next ten years not named Eddie Lacy. I just never thought Lacy would fall to the Packers.

Nine months ago, my thinking was "sign Jackson and get one or two good years out of him and win another Super Bowl".

With that being said, if my choices today were Jackson, Johnathan Franklin, James Starks and Alex Green, I'd take, in order, death, Jackson, Starks, Franklin, death again, Alex Green.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nine months ago, my thinking was "sign Jackson and get one or two good years out of him and win another Super Bowl".

With that being said, if my choices today were Jackson, Johnathan Franklin, James Starks and Alex Green, I'd take, in order, death, Jackson, Starks, Franklin, death again, Alex Green.
I guess what I missed is why you would still want him? He has looked really bad in most games. His last game he scored 2 TDs and looked okay. But he has mostly looked slow and hesitant. He missed a big chunk of the season from an injury. The Falcons are not sitting around thinking they are glad they signed him, I guarantee you.

This Sunday will be the big test, if he doesn't get more than 150 yards and 3 TDs against the Packers defensive front, then you know he is a marginal NFL player at this point.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess what I missed is why you would still want him? He has looked really bad in most games. His last game he scored 2 TDs and looked okay. But he has mostly looked slow and hesitant. He missed a big chunk of the season from an injury. The Falcons are not sitting around thinking they are glad they signed him, I guarantee you.

This Sunday will be the big test, if he doesn't get more than 150 yards and 3 TDs against the Packers defensive front, then you know he is a marginal NFL player at this point.

To be fair, I'd take Jackson because Franklin is on IR and Green is bagging groceries. :D

I'm just hoping Lacy is the only running back we're talking about for the next 7-10 years.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Felt pretty bad for the guy today ... I imagine he's singing soprano about now. Don't recall who the nasty Packer was who got him with crown of the helmet in the junk, but I could hear Christmas bells ringing in Oshkosh, wow... I started sweating for the poor bastige.

Now he and Vernon Davis can petition the NFL for rules regarding ***** tackling and ball ringing together.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Felt pretty bad for the guy today ... I imagine he's singing soprano about now. Don't recall who the nasty Packer was who got him with crown of the helmet in the junk, but I could hear Christmas bells ringing in Oshkosh, wow... I started sweating for the poor bastige.

Now he and Vernon Davis can petition the NFL for rules regarding ***** tackling and ball ringing together.
I'm pretty sure he appreciates the fact you feel his pain. :eek:

Members online

Latest posts