S. Jax

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
IMO:
• Jackson would have upgraded the RB position.
• Thompson set a price and stuck to it, probably in the $3M - $3.5M/year range.
• If Atlanta had offered less, I’ll bet Jackson would have signed with the Packers, although I don’t know that for sure.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT was outbid..period. This is just how he does thing's when it comes to FA's, not much. Like i said before he seems content with winning the North and making the playoffs with draft picks. Maybe when we get blasted again in the playoffs he will stop being cheap.

Bagadeez04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If there's ever another team in the mix for a fa were not getting him...bottom line

Only guys we get are ones no one else is interested in. That he managed to get Wood and Pickett is pretty incredible considering this fact.

That said...Niners on verge of adding Woodson and Ashomaga (spelling?). They only getting better.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
... he will stop being cheap.
We can revisit this comment after both Matthews and Rodgers get contract extensions.
- - - - -
I think the kind of calculation that goes into determining the value of a UFA like Jackson involves who the Packers expect to be available in the draft. For example they may think its likely Eddie Lacy will be available at #26, or that Montee Ball or Andre Ellington will be available at their second round pick. So if they believe RB is as big a need as some here (and I sincerely hope they don’t), Thompson and his staff may be comparing the cost/benefit of Jackson at $4M/year - or whatever it would have taken to sign him vs. the same analysis applied to a draft pick. I’m sure they’re also calculating the value of Harris and the other backs on the roster.

They may also be looking at a back available in a later round like Mike Gillislee. I have no idea how good a prospect he is and I only mention his name as an example and because this Packer Update article talks about him. http://packerupdate.net/?p=25009

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If there's ever another team in the mix for a fa were not getting him...bottom line

Only guys we get are ones no one else is interested in. That he managed to get Wood and Pickett is pretty incredible considering this fact.

That said...Niners on verge of adding Woodson and Ashomaga (spelling?). They only getting better.

God i hope not. How in the world do they have all this money?? i will cancel my NFL sunday ticket if San Srancisco gets both of them . That will be the best defense in football hands down.

OP
OP
BorderRivals.com

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
God i hope not. How in the world do they have all this money?? i will cancel my NFL sunday ticket if San Srancisco gets both of them . That will be the best defense in football hands down.

Ha. Woodson and Asomghua (who cares about the spelling) don't make the 49ers defense the best in the league! Woodson is old, slow, and a liability in coverage - as you should have seen from watching the games this season. And Asomghua was cut for a savings of $400Kish, with Philly taking $4+M on in dead money. In other words - as others have described it - he was paid NOT to play with them. He was beyond terrible with Philly. Could he somehow suddenly regain his form - sure, why not. But, as of now, if they sign, good for them. Could care less. That defense is good because of its front-7. And these two won't help their leaky pass defense.

Also, they have this money b/c they haven't had to pay their QB yet. 2nd round contract in his third year only. Not having to pay your QB 15% or so of the cap allows the 49ers and Seahawks to make these supposedly big FA signings. Once they have to pay their QBs and other studs - like we have had to do and will have to do - you will see these big FA signings cut.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ha. Woodson and Asomghua (who cares about the spelling) don't make the 49ers defense the best in the league! Woodson is old, slow, and a liability in coverage - as you should have seen from watching the games this season. And Asomghua was cut for a savings of $400Kish, with Philly taking $4+M on in dead money. In other words - as others have described it - he was paid NOT to play with them. He was beyond terrible with Philly. Could he somehow suddenly regain his form - sure, why not. But, as of now, if they sign, good for them. Could care less. That defense is good because of its front-7. And these two won't help their leaky pass defense.

Also, they have this money b/c they haven't had to pay their QB yet. 2nd round contract in his third year only. Not having to pay your QB 15% or so of the cap allows the 49ers and Seahawks to make these supposedly big FA signings. Once they have to pay their QBs and other studs - like we have had to do and will have to do - you will see these big FA signings cut.

Scheme can make a world of difference buddy. Nnamdi was at his best whehn he was playing man to man and we all know woodson is a ball hawk..mix that with a solid front 7 in San Franciso who play alot of man to man and gets to the qb hmmm?? yea, it probably won't help;)

Reaction score
29 years old?
A 29 year old running back ... we're complaining that we didn't over pay for a guy that maybe has a year left ?
Maybe if this were 06 or 08, sure ...but 2013, dude is old - let him walk and let's go draft the next Steven Jackson.

H

HardRightEdge

IMO:
• Jackson would have upgraded the RB position.
• Thompson set a price and stuck to it, probably in the $3M - $3.5M/year range.
• If Atlanta had offered less, I’ll bet Jackson would have signed with the Packers, although I don’t know that for sure.

My guess is Thompson offered two years. A high mileage back at age 30 is iffy. At 32 you're begging for trouble.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
29 years old?
A 29 year old running back ... we're complaining that we didn't over pay for a guy that maybe has a year left ?
Maybe if this were 06 or 08, sure ...but 2013, dude is old - let him walk and let's go draft the next Steven Jackson.

The only problem is that the Packers won't draft the next Steven Jackson and haven't been able to draft a solid, starting running back in years. Their best running back in the past twenty years was Ahman Green and he was acquired via trade. It's always not as easy as "draft the next Steven Jackson".

H

HardRightEdge

Only if the money is guaranteed. A team is only in trouble for the guaranteed portion of the contract.

I'm aware, and it's a good point. But the term of the contract with guys this age effectively defines the outer limit of your term of commitment regardless of whether there's a guarantee.

In other words, if Jackson earns his pay the next two years and stays healthy, ATL's deal says they would have him back for that 3rd year. On the other hand, a two year deal suggests you hew closer to the old Bill Walsh adage...better let them go a year too early than a year too late. I endorse the Walsh adage.

So the trouble I was referring to is if you bring the guy back for a third year, you're counting on something from him, he's taking a roster spot that could have gone to a youngster...and then the guy falls apart...then you've messed up.

I don't know if Jackson got a signing bonus in this deal, but if he did that would factor in. There would be dead cap money associated with the third year which would be at least a partial disincentive to cutting him before the end of the deal.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that Benson will be back in Green n Gold
I was going to post the same thing!
I think Jackson was their soft plan A, but they felt comfortable bringing back Benson because he was starting to get in a groove last year before his foot cracked in Indy.

He's got nowhere near the explosiveness or class that Jackson has though.
But his contract will be about 1/3rd or even 1/4th.

H

HardRightEdge

"Even with surgery, Lisfranc injuries tend to rehab poorly, and can be a career ending event."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/neal-m-blitz/nfls-lisfrancs-foot-fract_b_1961141.html

A foot injury and an aging running back are a poor combination. The team might bring Benson to camp (no guaranteed money in the offing, no risk), but Benson is not a basket in which to put half your eggs. You would not want to get into preseason and find out the guy can't play anymore.

I would expect a Plan B move at some point...a draft pick (3rd./4th. round) or a cheap FA or two (as Benson was last year). I highly doubt it will be Hillis. :eek:

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm aware, and it's a good point. But the term of the contract with guys this age effectively defines the outer limit of your term of commitment regardless of whether there's a guarantee.

In other words, if Jackson earns his pay the next two years and stays healthy, ATL's deal says they would have him back for that 3rd year. On the other hand, a two year deal suggests you hew closer to the old Bill Walsh adage...better let them go a year too early than a year too late. I endorse the Walsh adage.

So the trouble I was referring to is if you bring the guy back for a third year, you're counting on something from him, he's taking a roster spot that could have gone to a youngster...and then the guy falls apart...then you've messed up.

I don't know if Jackson got a signing bonus in this deal, but if he did that would factor in. There would be dead cap money associated with the third year which would be at least a partial disincentive to cutting him before the end of the deal.

I don't like that logic at all. You're basically saying "It's good the Packers didn't sign Jackson because if he's really good the first two years, he might be really bad the last year". I'm worried about the 2013 running game, not the 2015 running game.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"Even with surgery, Lisfranc injuries tend to rehab poorly, and can be a career ending event."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/neal-m-blitz/nfls-lisfrancs-foot-fract_b_1961141.html

A foot injury and an aging running back are a poor combination. The team might bring Benson to camp (no guaranteed money in the offing, no risk), but Benson is not a basket in which to put half your eggs. You would not want to get into preseason and find out the guy can't play anymore.

A one legged running back will probably come cheap enough for Ted.

H

HardRightEdge

I don't like that logic at all. You're basically saying "It's good the Packers didn't sign Jackson because if he's really good the first two years, he might be really bad the last year". I'm worried about the 2013 running game, not the 2015 running game.

I didn't say "really good". I said "earns his pay". Bill Walsh: Joe Montana, Jerry Rice, Ronnie Lott.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
sure glad we didnt sign him, as predicted hes having a downswing in his career with his age and milage adding up

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Funny how I always see fans (mostly not on this forum) only complain about TT. They must think somebody else passed on Jackson and drafted Lacy...

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Funny how I always see fans (mostly not on this forum) only complain about TT. They must think somebody else passed on Jackson and drafted Lacy...
Now come one. I am sure all the posters ripping on TT for not giving Jackson $6.5M+ this year will be posting soon to admit they were wrong and apologize to TT. After all, SJ has gotten 330 yards and 3 TDs and Atlanta has dropped off the face of the NFL. Lacy, on the other hands, looks like a long term impact player for us, already getting 822 yards and 6 TDs despite not playing much till week 5.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
His rushing total will double this week. He would have pulled both hamstrings if he had signed with the Packers.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts