S. Jax

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
SMH can't say i enjoy watching all these teams in the NFC get better and improve SB chances. Hey, as long as we make the playoffs who cares right??!!

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's not what I said. I said we have two burgeoning two stars in Cobb and Hayward, which is impressive considering how soon it's happened. I generally believe it's too early to judge drafts two years out, but in looking at the fact we've already identified two potential stars in Cobb and Hayward already, that's a success so far.

Well, I like both Cobb and Hayward. I would like to see more from those two drafts at this point.

H

HardRightEdge

No sweat. TT will approach Canty and Jackson 3 years from now after their current deals are up, at which point he'll be outbid by an Arena team.

Actually, I think it's good this one got away.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcsouth/post/_/id/46038/falcons-just-became-a-better-team

Falcons just became a better team

By Pat Yasinskas | ESPN.com

The Atlanta Falcons' strategy early in the free-agency process was to keep their own players. But when you have a team that came up 10 yards short of the Super Bowl, you have to step outside.

That’s precisely what the Falcons did Thursday afternoon when they agreed to terms with running back Steven Jackson.

Instantly, Atlanta’s running game looks a lot better than it did last season, when Michael Turner clearly was showing signs of wear and tear. Jackson comes with mileage of his own, but at 29 he’s younger than Turner (31) and he still was productive in St. Louis last season.

Jackson averaged 4.1 yards per carry while rushing for 1,042 yards and four touchdowns behind an offensive line that was less than stellar. He has handled as many as 346 carries a season in his career, but I don’t think that’s what the Falcons are seeking.

I think they’re looking for a running back who can handle between 200 and 250 carries and split time with Jacquizz Rodgers. The Falcons also want someone who can be efficient in short-yardage situations, and Jackson has a successful history with that.

Unlike Turner, Jackson also has been a receiving threat out of the backfield. In 2006, he caught a career-high 90 passes. I don’t think the Falcons will ask him to catch that many, but if Jackson can give them 30 to 40 catches, he will make the offense a lot more complete.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Falcons just became a better team
...says the man whose job is to sensationalize everything. These are the same guys that hype up every kid coming out of college.

I still love the way that TT plays his cards. He makes smart, prudent moves when the winds are favorable. He doesn't try to buy himself out of a hole. I'll reserve final comment for when we see what Atlanta agreed to pay him, but I assume SJ wanted more than a smart, prudent GM was willing to risk on declining skills.

While upgrading our RB position would be nice, it all starts with blocking up front. That's a lot of issues that wouldn't be addressed with just an aging RB. If he can, he will buy us a defensive player. Otherwise it's back to the draft board.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Andrew Brandt: I understand fans' frustration w/lack of signings and quick fixes. But again, winners in March rarely are winners in January.

T.J Lang: So do the lions get t shirts and hats for winning the nfc north title?

Here's my thoughts: how many 30 year old runningbacks signed for 12 million dollars to a pass happy offense would work out? My guess is not many. Is it too hard to believe the pack liked what they had at the position for young guys and wanted them to grow? Also if this deal is the difference between affording extensions for Rodgers, Matthews and Raji then I'm glad we didn't do it.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Keep telling yourself that bro. Haha.

Do you even know if S-Jax ever had any intention of signing here? From many accounts, he always wanted Atlanta, he just used us to jack up the price in a bidding war. Even if we won the bidding, he could easily just default back to Atlanta's highest offer. He's played his whole career in a dome and most likely wanted to continue to do so.

What do you want TT to do, just blow the Falcons out of the water and offer him $10M a year if that's what it takes?

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Do you even know if S-Jax ever had any intention of signing here? From many accounts, he always wanted Atlanta, he just used us to jack up the price in a bidding war. Even if we won the bidding, he could easily just default back to Atlanta's highest offer. He's played his whole career in a dome and most likely wanted to continue to do so.

What do you want TT to do, just blow the Falcons out of the water and offer him $10M a year if that's what it takes?
Very much the bold. He never intended on coming here and the more the media said he was, the less I believed it.

Bagadeez04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
...says the man whose job is to sensationalize everything. These are the same guys that hype up every kid coming out of college.

I still love the way that TT plays his cards. He makes smart, prudent moves when the winds are favorable. He doesn't try to buy himself out of a hole. I'll reserve final comment for when we see what Atlanta agreed to pay him, but I assume SJ wanted more than a smart, prudent GM was willing to risk on declining skills.

While upgrading our RB position would be nice, it all starts with blocking up front. That's a lot of issues that wouldn't be addressed with just an aging RB. If he can, he will buy us a defensive player. Otherwise it's back to the draft board.
When's the last time he madeva smart prudent move when winds were favorabke in free agency/trade?

PackMan13x

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When's the last time he madeva smart prudent move when winds were favorabke in free agency/trade?
In 2007 when he traded next to nothing for randy moss on draft day and he set a single season TD record and he and our first round pick Joe Staley led us to the first ever 16-0 season in NFL history! Or was that Justin Harrell?

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When the winds were favorable in free agency.

Part of me wants to, for no good reason, believe that TT may also have been intentional courting Jackson in order to up the price that Atlanta (a playoff team) had to be, or overpay, for his services. My gut says that TT liked Jackson and for the right price, would have signed him. However, he probably sniffed out Jackson's real desire to play in Atlanta so TT just made it a little more painful for the Falcons. Inside baseball

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When the winds were favorable in free agency.

Part of me wants to, for no good reason, believe that TT may also have been intentional courting Jackson in order to up the price that Atlanta (a playoff team) had to be, or overpay, for his services. My gut says that TT liked Jackson and for the right price, would have signed him. However, he probably sniffed out Jackson's real desire to play in Atlanta so TT just made it a little more painful for the Falcons. Inside baseball

I think TT has more things to do with his time than play games. Atlanta signed him for $4 million per year and before he signed I heard he would get a contract in that range.

Members online

Latest posts