1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

S. Jax

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by BorderRivals.com, Feb 5, 2013.

1. NelsonsLongCatch

NelsonsLongCatch Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +626
    He lost time to Richardson because the Rams knew he wasn't coming back in 2013. The Rams were transitioning the offense be younger.

2. Shawnsta3

Shawnsta3 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +375
    It wasn't because at times last year Richardson looked better? As I remember it Richardson averaged over 6 yards per carry over the middle six games of the season and there was clamoring in St.Louis over who was better.

3. NelsonsLongCatch

Ratings:
    +626
    No. They drafted Richardson/Pead to be the running back of the future and replace Jackson. Mediocre teams need to transition and become younger some time.

4. NelsonsLongCatch

Ratings:
    +626
    Just to go one step further, the Rams draft Isaiah Pead in the 2nd Round (#50 overall) and Daryl Richardson in the 7th Round. The transition away from Steven Jackson started on draft day last year.

5. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    Exactly.... the Rams have a lot of building to do to get into contention..... even though they somehow went 1-0-1 vs the 49ers last year.
    Still, with SF & Sea there, the Rams are light years away from winning that division.... time for some youth movement and cheaper $$ RBs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    I want to wake up tomorrow and see THIS is a done deal dammit.... don't care about Jennings anymore unless we get him for Welker money.
    http://packersinsider.com/?p=5271

7. NelsonsLongCatch

Ratings:
    +626
    It would be amazing if the Packers signed Jackson and resigned Jennings for less than $10M total. Especially after Jennings thought he was worth $14M/year.

8. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,666
    By "both" can we assume you mean Jennings and Jackson?

If so, you and TT should go out for drinks while waiting for the calls on those deals...that never come.

I don't like signing either of them and still think your aggregate numbers for those 2 guys are too low.

9. The_Virus

The_Virus Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    I could probably enter NFL Free Agency and say I want 13M a season like Jennings and get no interest like he has. I do hope he comes back though, just not too expensive. Kinda shows you how far fetched these players are sometimes.

10. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +650
    Did wonders for James Jones...

11. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,666
    Patience can pay off for the player as easily as for the general manager.

If you look at (1) teams who are still in need of a WR, (2) who's left in FA (nobody after Jennings might be a fair description) and (3) the thin draft in WRs, thinking he'll sign a low ball deal at this juncture is a mistake.

Will he pull down long term $10 mil. per year money, like Bowe and Wallace? No. Will he get more than the $6 mil people on this board are willing to offer? Yes.

12. The_Virus

The_Virus Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    I agree he will get more than 6M a season, but will Steven Jackson dictate what the Packers will offer Jennings? Will it impact what they will do with Finley?

13. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,666
    I wouldn't bring back Jennings or sign Jackson, but I'll offer an opinion on the what ifs:

When this Jackson stuff started, I thought 2 years / $8 mil seemed about right. As time moved along, I trimmed that back to 2 years / $7 million. The press has been kicking around 3 years / $12 million this week. The difference between the low and high among those numbers is just not big enough to influence a major FA signing, which Jennings is at this point. The more important question here is whether TT proposed but tried to slip a cubit zirconia on Jackson's finger.

Signing Jennings could have an immediate impact on keeping Finley. If Jennings came in at something like $7.5 mil per year, that would be it for FA, except maybe some minimum salary guys. We should be trying to get a solid defensive starter in FA in any of a few positions (S is my preference at this point); TT's pursuit of Canty is evidence of what is generally acknowledged by the fan base on this forum except for the hard line "draft only" guys.

If that's not enough, lets look again at the Rodgers / Matthews situation. A Jennings / Finley combo or a Finley / FA defender means any new deal for either Rodgers or Matthews will be "cap friendly". In fact, I'm pretty much resigned to that fact regardless. Which means we conserve cap space now, but pay for it later.

I think you have to be both extremely good and extremely lucky over a long period of time to avoid falling into the issues we see in Pittsburgh and Baltimore this year...deferred cap hits + age at some point get you to a retooling period where you hope the franchise QB can keep the team competitive and keep butts in the seats.

Our last 2 drafts have not met the good/lucky test.

14. adambr2

adambr2 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,481
    Just heard S-Jax signed with the Falcons.

• Like Like x 1
  15. BorderRivals.com

BorderRivals.com Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +499
    S. Jax agreed to terms with Atlanta. F**k him. Enjoy the biggest choke-job at QB in Matty Ryan.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,132
    Not heart broken. Too many miles.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. The Drew

The Drew #packergang

Ratings:
    +488
    NOW WE CAN CLOSE THIS THREAD! :)

• Like Like x 1
  18. BorderRivals.com

Ratings:
    +499
    I would disagree with this sentiment. Cobb and Hayward are burgeoning stars. And the verdict is still out on Perry, but he wasn't overmatched out there. He showed flashes and will certainly be an upgrade over Walden. Plus, it's awfully quick to make judgment calls on the rest of the players. But, to already be able to establish two on-the-verge-stars out of the drafts, with another promising player, I'd say those are pretty good drafts - so far.

19. slaughter25

slaughter25 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +211
    I'm still not convinced he ever had GB in his mind as more than a leverage point. Played in a dome his whole career, and I think Atlanta has just a good a shot of competing for a title as we do. Be curious to see what the contract numbers are and how the effects the way the packers move forward with FA

20. 13 Times Champs

13 Times Champs Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,379
    So you are comfortable getting one to two players per draft? Ron Wolf always said you had to get three starters. I agree that's the yardstick

21. 13 Times Champs

Ratings:
    +1,379
    Hell no, now we're going to talk about the money he got to sign at Atlanta and how cheap TT is! :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  22. NorthWestCheeseHead

NorthWestCheeseHead Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +374
    Why; S Jackson is worthless and on the wrong side of 30. Dude is a waste of contract money at any amount.

23. 13 Times Champs

Ratings:
    +1,379
    We will find out. Hey we're good at the position we've got that Harris guy.

• Like Like x 1
  24. NorthWestCheeseHead

NorthWestCheeseHead Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +374
    Hahaha, true story. Plus there is still the draft. And Daryl Richardson ran S. Jackson out of St Lewis so don't go expecting too much from him this year. Turner was garbage last year as well, and I think the two equate pretty well.

25. BorderRivals.com

Ratings:
    +499
    That's not what I said. I said we have two burgeoning two stars in Cobb and Hayward, which is impressive considering how soon it's happened. I generally believe it's too early to judge drafts two years out, but in looking at the fact we've already identified two potential stars in Cobb and Hayward already, that's a success so far.

• Like Like x 1