S. Jax

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Steven Jackson is a free agent. I bet the Rams move on from him. They drafted his replacement last year and have enough young players on the roster that they can't/shouldn't devote a lot to an aging RB - a dispensable position. With that said, he'd be absolutely perfect for the Packers. Beast runner and can catch it out of the backfield. He's an aging vet that knows he has few years left. He'd probably jump at the chance to join the Packers. I bet his price won't be too high considering his age and mileage on him already. If we can get him for a discounted price, I'd love this move.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like him. He's the power runner the Packers haven't had forever. If he wants a cheap contract and a chance to win a Super Bowl, why not?

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I loved this guy for a long time. But from having him on my fantasy team this past year, I can account first hand he is not the player he once was. He also didn't help STL's win column that much, so whose to say he helps ours?

That being said the kid in me wins out, Steven Jackson running the ball for us would be awesome!

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
He'd probably jump at the chance to join the Packers. I bet his price won't be too high considering his age and mileage on him already.
I'll bet the the vast majority of players would jump at the chance to join the Packers... just as long as the Packers were offering them the most, or nearly the most money. But I believe you would lose you bet about his price not being that high. rotoworld.com and an article on nfl.com say Jackson has a $7M player option on his contract. So if he declines to exercise it, the Rams will have to pay him $7M. If he voids it, it'll mean he wants to make more than $7M in 2013. Of course the Rams could waive him but I'll bet he won't be offering any discounts. He also flirted with the idea of retiring after the season.

Of course I'd like to see Jackson join the Packers - he'll be 30 in July. But much more likely for much, much less $$$ is Benson coming back - he will be 31 in December. I am not adverse to going into next season with Harris being counted on to get the majority of rushing attempts so while I'd welcome Jackson, I'd rather Thompson go in another direction (hint: DEFENSE!) if he's going to sign UFA(s).

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's a lot of free agents that are going to be available. We can speculate about each and every free agent that is available but unless TT can get them for peanuts don't expect a signing.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's a lot of free agents that are going to be available. Unless TT can get them for peanuts don't expect a signing.

Chocolate covered peanuts !?! Some of you guy's kill me, you don't wanna sign a guy like Paul Krueger because he would be asking to much and we can't afford him? but jump on board with signing Steven Jackson who would be looking for some dollars to. Amazing smh. The defense is more of a concern people.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Chocolate covered peanuts !?! Some of you guy's kill me, you don't wanna sign a guy like Paul Krueger because he would be asking to much and we can't afford him? but jump on board with signing Steven Jackson who would be looking for some dollars to. Amazing smh. The defense is more of a concern people.

Well I'm not sure who you are directing your post to but Krueger won't sign elsewhere for peanuts. I don't know what Jackson will sign for. I'm just saying TT doesn't play the free agent game and when he does he is a bargain shopper.

OP
OP
BorderRivals.com

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This idea is pretty much contingent that S. Jax comes at a discounted price. If he expects to make $7M as a post said above, then this is a big, fat NO in my book. I'm surprised to hear that number. He's been uber productive throughout his career. But, RB's are less valued nowadays and he's got so many miles on him already. I will be really surprised if he gets that much. But, if we can get him at a discount - think Charles Woodson where there were no takers really - then I'd like the move. Otherwise, let's roll with Harris!

H

HardRightEdge

I'll bet the the vast majority of players would jump at the chance to join the Packers... just as long as the Packers were offering them the most, or nearly the most money. But I believe you would lose you bet about his price not being that high. rotoworld.com and an article on nfl.com say Jackson has a $7M player option on his contract. So if he declines to exercise it, the Rams will have to pay him $7M. If he voids it, it'll mean he wants to make more than $7M in 2013. Of course the Rams could waive him but I'll bet he won't be offering any discounts. He also flirted with the idea of retiring after the season.

Of course I'd like to see Jackson join the Packers - he'll be 30 in July. But much more likely for much, much less $$$ is Benson coming back - he will be 31 in December. I am not adverse to going into next season with Harris being counted on to get the majority of rushing attempts so while I'd welcome Jackson, I'd rather Thompson go in another direction (hint: DEFENSE!) if he's going to sign UFA(s).

The key to the Jackson situation, as you noted, is the $7 mil option is only guaranteed if he's on the opening day roster; if Jackson declines to void, they can release him to unrestricted FA any time before that at no cost.

When Jackson failed to meet the incentive criteria after 2011 that would have made his 2012/$3.5 mil and 2013/7.0 mil years voidable at the players option, the Rams rewrote the contract to give him the right to void anyway! All evidence would indicate they were inducing him to test FA because they did not want to pay that money as far back 2011.

I suspect that has not changed, and I suspect the Ram's have already told Jackson that if he chooses not to void the 2013 year, they will not be paying that $7.0 mil. The idea, promulgated by some press sources, that Jackson will void and test FA because he can get more than $7 mil guaranteed elsewhere is, in my opinion, misguided. He's probably looking at $7 mil over two years, not fully guaranteed. The guy is 30 with high mileage at 2,400 carries, and was dabbling in retirement talk a few weeks ago...he's a year-by-year player.

TT likes this guy, but even $7 mil over two years for a high mileage TB would be uncharacteristic. I liked him as a 2012 one-year rent-a-player for a mid-round draft pick given the bankrupt state of the position after Benson went down, but I'd have a hard time making any serous commitment at this point.

OP
OP
BorderRivals.com

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The key to the Jackson situation, as you noted, is the $7 mil option is only guaranteed if he's on the opening day roster; if Jackson declines to void, they can release him to unrestricted FA any time before that at no cost.

When Jackson failed to meet the incentive criteria after 2011 that would have made his 2012/$3.5 mil and 2013/7.0 mil years voidable at the players option, the Rams rewrote the contract to give him the right to void anyway! All evidence would indicate they were inducing him to test FA because they did not want to pay that money as far back 2011.

I suspect that has not changed, and I suspect the Ram's have already told Jackson that if he chooses not to void the 2013 year, they will not be paying that $7.0 mil. The idea, promulgated by some press sources, that Jackson will void and test FA because he can get more than $7 mil guaranteed elsewhere is, in my opinion, misguided. He's probably looking at $7 mil over two years, not fully guaranteed. The guy is 30 with high mileage at 2,400 carries, and was dabbling in retirement talk a few weeks ago...he's a year-by-year player.

TT likes this guy, but even $7 mil over two years for a high mileage TB would be uncharacteristic. I liked him as a 2012 one-year rent-a-player for a mid-round draft pick given the bankrupt state of the position after Benson went down, but I'd have a hard time making any serous commitment at this point.

Good stuff.

I'd take a 2-year deal for that price for S. Jax. Undoubtedly there are pressing needs on defense. But we can't forget that our offense was very inconsistent this season, particularly against better defenses. Having a horse like S. Jax (and a change of pace back like Harris and/or Green) would provide the missing element to this offense - a real run game. If we could get consistent production out of our run game, it opens up so much for Rodgers & Co. The offense could not solve the cover-2 all season. A run game prevents teams from running that non-stop. And, our play-action game would come back from the dead.

To be clear, there are plenty of needs on defense. But, a caliber player like S. Jax for a reasonable price would be a great signing in my opinion.

H

HardRightEdge

Good stuff.

I'd take a 2-year deal for that price for S. Jax. Undoubtedly there are pressing needs on defense. But we can't forget that our offense was very inconsistent this season, particularly against better defenses. Having a horse like S. Jax (and a change of pace back like Harris and/or Green) would provide the missing element to this offense - a real run game. If we could get consistent production out of our run game, it opens up so much for Rodgers & Co. The offense could not solve the cover-2 all season. A run game prevents teams from running that non-stop. And, our play-action game would come back from the dead.

To be clear, there are plenty of needs on defense. But, a caliber player like S. Jax for a reasonable price would be a great signing in my opinion.

For good or ill, I think Harris showed us a quick-twitch runner works best in this blocking scheme with this personnel. I'd be concerned Jackson would not be a good fit.

OP
OP
BorderRivals.com

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For good or ill, I think Harris showed us a quick-twitch runner works best in this blocking scheme with this personnel. I'd be concerned Jackson would not be a good fit.

How so?

IMO, he's big, strong, relentless, and can catch it out of the backfield. Is it the power game versus zone-scheme thing? I can maybe understand that. But, I thought we were starting to incorporate more power plays with pulling linemen near the end of the year. I remember clearly that a pulling lineman sprung Harris for his TD at SF. So there may be hope we can adapt the system to S. Jax in that manner. But, I'm curious to see how you don't think he'd be a good fit. And that certainly would make this discussion moot if it were true.

H

HardRightEdge

Is it the power game versus zone-scheme thing? I can maybe understand that. But, I thought we were starting to incorporate more power plays with pulling linemen near the end of the year.

Yes, it is a zone thing, the way we play it, and the players we have playing it.

Pulling doesn't necessarily differentiate zone vs. a conventional assignment blocking scheme, except in the sense that the pulling lineman is probably heading for a particular gap. I've been very impressed with how Washington pulls in the context of their zone scheme and read option, and we saw what their rookie 6th. round TB did in that scheme. Seattle also uses a zone scheme; Lynch seems to gain some yards with it.

The league is about 1/2 zone, 1/2 assignment:

http://nflsfuture.com/2012/03/28/team-by-team-offensivedefensive-schemes/

In zone blocking, roughly speaking, the O-linemen do not have a pre-assigned man or gap assignment. It's read, react, and "influence"-the-defender approach...you try to open the hole that the defense will give you. It's a team/finesse approach. If done well, it can be cost effective, because you can use finesse-type interior linemen who go lower in the draft while having the athleticism to develop into decent pass-pro guys. Or so the theory goes.

Consequently, the TB is not running to a pre-defined gap. You'll often hear zone running backs needing to be patient, read-and-react, one-cut-and-go guys. The reason being he needs to wait to see where a hole develops, then hit it fast before it closes.

The Packers do use conventional assignment blocking in short yardage, but they are predominantly zone.

I like Jackson as a runner, and while he has the reputation of being a power back, he's got quick feet and the ability to redirect at the line. But he's getting up in mileage, has lost a bit of quickness, and has been playing in an assignment scheme with the Rams. He could work for us, but there's a good chance he wouldn't.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Why not stick with Benson...Will be lot cheaper and in my eyes, they are similar runners..

H

HardRightEdge

Why not stick with Benson...Will be lot cheaper and in my eyes, they are similar runners..

Benson is coming off a serious foot injury. We don't know if he'll be able to run to the water cooler, let alone cut and go. He was borderline effective when healthy; even slightly diminsihed ability could be a deal breaker. I think we'll need to draft a runner, not another 3rd. down back, maybe 3rd. round.

Everybody remembers the guys who come back 100% from serious injury but forget about the many guys who wash out of the league because they didn't.

H

HardRightEdge

Yes I know about the injury, but from what was reported, it was healing fine...

They're always healing fine, until they aren't. Sherrod, for example. Green said he was 100% during preseason; his comments after the season mentioned the knee as an issue. Tramon said he was 100%; it didn't look like it.

"30 year old marginally effective running back" and "foot injury" are not an auspicious combination.

I would not be surprised if we re-signed him to a minimum salary again and brought him to camp to see what's what. I would also not be surprised if he doesn't make it to opening day.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How are we going to afford him?

We have to resign Rodgers and Matthews, then we are going to:

- Trade for CB Revis
- Sign S Reed
- Sign DE Krueger
- Sign WR Moss

That leaves very little money for Jackson.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How are we going to afford him?

We have to resign Rodgers and Matthews, then we are going to:

- Trade for CB Revis
- Sign S Reed
- Sign DE Krueger
- Sign WR Moss

That leaves very little money for Jackson.

Winner, Chicken Dinner!!! And I'm sure there will be other names in the coming weeks that will be added to your list.:rolleyes: