1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Ryan Winning Punting Job

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by Popcynical, Aug 1, 2006.

1. Popcynical

Popcynical Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    LINK HERE

2. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    let the best(least ******) punter win.

3. Popcynical

Popcynical Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    It'd be nice if we weren't last in special teams this year... *sigh*

4. packedhouse01

packedhouse01 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    I'm not sure what Sander's problem is. He was an excellent punter in college. It almost appears as if he's a head case. He has all the physical tools to do the job, but he is so inconsistent. I guess that's the reason you don't take a kicker in the third round. We had the same thing with Conway. He too was supposed to be the next great kicker and Longwell beat him out. I will say this much, the special teams are so important and we've been so bad in this facet of the game. My hope is that TT can find some people this year that can make this very important part of the game a strength.

5. PackerLegend

PackerLegend Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0

We Weren't Last

He went into the offseason knowing the Packers would bring in strong competition for the job after he finished 29th in the NFL in gross average (39.2 yards) and 31st in net (33.9 yards) last year.

for punting we finished 29th and 31st. LOL

6. CalifPacker

CalifPacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    If Ryan can keep the ball in the air long enough the punt team should be much improved.

This guy can really boom em'!

7. wpr

wpr Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I like the Canadian way of just kicking the sucker out of bounds and let them get no return at all.
    Granted I don't want him to kick it only 15 yards down field before it bounces out of bounds. If Ryan can kick it 45 yards down field and out of bounds 90% of the time who cares how long his hangtime is.

8. 4packgirl

4packgirl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    i don't care WHO "wins" the position - as long as he can get it inside the 10 yard line more often than not - i'll be happy!

9. Lare

Lare Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I guess I can't agree that Sander's problem has been his inconsistency, in fact, he's been about the most consistent punter I've ever heard of. Unfortunately, he's been consistently short. What the cause of that is, is anybody's guess.

What I want to know is why they are even wasting everyone's time proclaiming that he's still in the running for the punter position. My god, he's averaging around 15-yards less than Ryan!! Even if Ryan falls flat in game situations and they cut him, Sander certainly isn't the answer.

My grandpa used to say "Every lesson you learn in life is going to cost you something". In this case, it cost several people their jobs. But in the grand scheme of things it probably didn't cost us much last year. Even the best punter in the league probably wouldn't have affected our record much one way or another.

I think it's time to move on.

10. Greg C.

Greg C. Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I think Sander got messed up in the head in the preseason of his rookie year, and he still hasn't fully recovered. He had a lot of pressure as a third round pick, and then his first three public performances (the scrimmage and the first two exhibition games) were all at Lambeau Field, where he was under a microscope. That's tough for a rookie punter, because it's a job where your #1 priority is DON'T SCREW UP. I thought he had finally put it behind him last season, then he fizzled at the end.

Sander's yardage in training camp doesn't sound bad to me. With the kind of numbers Ryan is putting up, he would make almost anyone look bad. If Ryan can do that consistently, he'll be a great weapon.

Hey, here's an idea: Let's keep two punters--Ryan for the long kicks and Sander for kicks inside the 20. Just kidding.

11. rabidgopher04

rabidgopher04 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    That's my philosophy. Why even let the other team have an opportunity to return the ball? Just kick it out as close to the corner as you can.

12. retiredgrampa

retiredgrampa Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Some won't agree with me, and that's fine. I believe that in the long run that if you boom one 65 yds., and even if it lands in the end zone instead of coming down at the 5 yd line, that's fine with me. If it comes down at the 5 and some PR latches onto it, who knows how far out he's going to run it....maybe 95 yds. I'm happy making them go 80 yds to score. In the Sander era, if he punted from our 20, the average return would take it to their 42. Not good. I'd rather they started from their 32, which is more likely with Ryan.

13. Bruce

Bruce Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I am hoping Ryan grabs the job and holds it down with solid punting for years. However, it is early and kicking in Canadian football and the NFL are two entirely different beasts. Ryan had a poor day on Tuesday (from Christl's blog:

Punting from the opponents’ 45-yard line, Jon Ryan struggled with his directional kicking. Five of his 21 punts were shanks. He also had seven touchbacks. Only five were downed or landed inside the 10. B.J. Sander kicked more consistently...

14. wpr

wpr Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    The battle is joined.
    And the competition is heating up.
    Wouldn't it be great if THIS was the biggest concern that the Packer Brass had to face this TC?

15. Buckeyepackfan

Buckeyepackfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Ryan had four punts blocked last season in the CFL — an astonishingly high number — though he said none was because he got the ball off too slowly. He attributed the blocks to protection breakdowns and trying to punt a little lower than usual into strong winds.

The ball doesn't go far if you can't get it out of the backfield.

16. Packula

Packula Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I saw Ryan kicking away in TC, and the crowd was awed by his kicks.

Sander got a raw deal. Remember Brett Conway? Same deal. Drafted too early, had the microscope on him, he cracked under the pressure. It's too bad, because I bet he could have had a pretty solid career under different circumstances.

17. all about da packers

all about da packers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    How about a report? :D

18. all about da packers

all about da packers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    :-?

19. Lare

Lare Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    It's probably only fair to add the last line of Christl's paragraph on Ryan & Sander.

Punting from the opponents’ 45-yard line, Jon Ryan struggled with his directional kicking. Five of his 21 punts were shanks. He also had seven touchbacks. Only five were downed or landed inside the 10. B.J. Sander kicked more consistently, but only three of his 20 punts were downed or landed inside the 10.

More consistent maybe, but still less successful overall. Realistically, a shank from the opponents 45 is about the same as a touchback. A shank from your own territory is something different entirely.

20. Greg C.

Greg C. Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    More consistent maybe, but still less successful overall. Realistically, a shank from the opponents 45 is about the same as a touchback. A shank from your own territory is something different entirely.[/quote]

Good point, Lare.

Sander is supposed to excel at kicking inside the 20 yard line, so 3 out of 20 is a pretty discouraging number.

21. DePack

DePack Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    OHHHHHH......Jon Ryan!!! When I read the title I thought our administrator was taking a leave of absence.

22. Bruce

Bruce Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    As I said, I want Ryan to grab the job.

But 5 shanks from the opponents 45 is significant, especially since Sanders had none.

My whole point is that it is early and the job will not be won or lost on one days kicking.
    Rather a number of factors over the long haul will determine whether either man is ready for the job including: how quickly can they get off the ball from catch to foot (incredibly important in the NFL and even more so since Ryan was blocked an astonishing 5 times last season), ability to pin the ball in side the 20, ability to deliver under pressure (for example when back up against your own goal line) hang-time...

I think at this point Ryan is the favorite, but it is still a battle that will go on throughout training camp and into preseason -- where they will be kicking under fire.

23. PackerLegend

PackerLegend Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Cliff Chirstl, of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, reports Green Bay Packers P B.J. Sander averaged 50 yards per punt during practice Friday, Aug. 4. He attempted six punts from his own three-yard line with a slight breeze at his back.

Cliff Chirstl, of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, reports Green Bay Packers P Jon Ryan averaged 58.8 yards per punt during practice Friday, Aug. 4. He attempted six punts from his own three-yard line with a slight breeze at his back.

24. CalifPacker

CalifPacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    A difference of nearly nine yards. Gotta think the return man is back pedeling, not steping up to catch the ball. Good coverage and tackling could pin down an opponent.

25. Raider Pride

Raider Pride Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2

Yep! BUT..... BUT..... But some people adjust.

Good on Ryan tonight.

Thank you Canada.....

R.P.