Ryan starting to fade

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is from the Miwaukee Journal Sentinel. I don't know what the deal is with Jon Ryan. He was booming them 50 yards regularly in the preseason. Looking on the bright side, he's had decent hang time and the coverage has been good, which contributed to Philly's two muffed punts last week. I just don't understand why his kicks have gotten shorter:

Ryan struggling: After a strong training camp, punter Jon Ryan is starting to fade.

He struggled with his three punts against the Giants and has dropped to 20th in the National Football League in gross average at 39.4 yards and 16th in net at 38.0. According to Stock, Ryan had to adjust his punts because protection hasn't always been good.

And Stock said, his drops on his new two-step approach aren't accurate enough.

"The two steps aren't getting him in trouble, lining the ball up is getting him in trouble," he said. "The two steps were supposed to correct the problem because he had the same problem a year ago. The two steps was supposed to help him make sure he got it aligned better."

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What would Lombardi say about this?

My guess is something like, "just kick the damn ball farther and higher!"

All this technical stuff...he just needs to kick it the way he was earlier.

LambeauEast

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was watching pre-game warmups Sunday, and it looked like the punts got to a certain height, and then just faded. I was thinking there might have been a bit of a swirling wind, but judging by the coach's statement, it's not what I thought.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There was wind in the giants game.

It was mentioned multiple times and had an impact on mason's kickoffs as well.

LambeauEast

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Unfortunately my girlfriend "dropped the ball" in the recording of the game, or I would have watched the telecast when I got home. But alas...I was right about the wind after all.

Cdnfavrefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know I heard him do an interview hear and he was really working on getting his hang time improved. Last year he was booming them but I believe his net words were like 25th in the league. Our coverage looks a lot better this year though so maybe they should just tell him to kill it again. I've noticed more and more though how talented these returners are already and all they need is a step and they'll hurt you

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
tromadz said:

Unfortunately my girlfriend "dropped the ball" in the recording of the game, or I would have watched the telecast when I got home. But alas...I was right about the wind after all.

I know its mean, but damn, that's funny. I can't believe she recorded the wrong game. lmao

OP
OP
G

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I watched the entire game on video again last night, and I still didn't hear a single reference to the wind. Maybe you listened to different announcers. It may very well have been windy, and the FOX guys didn't mention it. Heck, they haven't even given us the starting lineups for either game this year.

Anyway, here's more about Ryan from today's Journal Sentinel:

Down in the valley: Special teams coach Mike Stock said Jon Ryan had been in a "rut" so far this season. The punter himself had a more damning view.

"It feels more like the Grand Canyon," Ryan said.

After having a solid training camp and exhibition season, Ryan ranks 26th in the National Football League with a 39.4-yard gross average and 16th with a 38.0 net average.

"I think there's a bit of glitch in my swing or something," Ryan said. "I feel bad. I've kind of let my team down when it's really unacceptable."

After bottoming out with a 36.0 average Sunday against the Giants, Ryan said his struggles had caused him to wake up in the middle of the night because of bad punting dreams.

"I think I was just really over-thinking things and getting a little bit too mechanical when I just kind of need to let my athleticism take over and just hit the ball like I can," he said.

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ryan had 3 punts in week 3 all inside the 15. one of them a 54 yarder. Only 1 return attempted for a total of 3 yards.
I would say that it is way too early in the season to jump to any conclusions one way or the other.

MassPackersFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The ST coach (I think) said he was having problems dropping the ball consistently. So apparently it's fixable. He did much better in week 3. :)

OP
OP
G

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, he did great, with a big assist from a strong south wind.

I thought it was funny when the Packers had the ball at the end of the half with less than a minute on the clock and Phil Simms was upset that they didn't hand it off up the middle every time and run out the clock. McCarthy actually had the audacity to call for (gasp!) short passes! They were both incomplete, and there was still time on the clock when the Packers punted. Simms was about to wet his pants. Then Ryan boomed a 54-yarder, up into that wind, with no runback. End of discussion.

It's just funny to me how the cult of conservative play-calling is so deeply ingrained in the NFL, including the announcers.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you fear to "go for it", chances are you will lose.
Not to dig up the past, but when Sherman would get a lead, he'd go into "conservative play call" mode almost automatically. Instead of doing what got you the lead in the FIRST place. You have to go for the kill when you have them on the ropes.
Thats just my opinion of course.

OP
OP
G

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not to dig up the past, but when Sherman would get a lead, he'd go into "conservative play call" mode almost automatically. Instead of doing what got you the lead in the FIRST place. You have to go for the kill when you have them on the ropes.

And your opinion happens to be correct. Well-said.

Often I try to put myself in the position of the other team. So in this case, I thought that if I was the Chargers, would I rather have the Packers run out the clock or would I rather have them take a chance and try to get a score? If I was the Chargers, I would've much preferred the Packers to just run out the clock, so that the Chargers could keep the momentum heading into halftime.

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:

And your opinion happens to be correct. Well-said.

Often I try to put myself in the position of the other team. So in this case, I thought that if I was the Chargers, would I rather have the Packers run out the clock or would I rather have them take a chance and try to get a score? If I was the Chargers, I would've much preferred the Packers to just run out the clock, so that the Chargers could keep the momentum heading into halftime.

Tis true. I use to hate to watch MS go into his "turtle mode" and pretend if he just layed down there on the field everything was going to be alright.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts