Ryan Shazier

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seems to be a trendy pick lately. What do you guys think of him? I know we have some guys who watch alot of ohio state here

D

Deleted member 6794

Seems to be a trendy pick lately. What do you guys think of him? I know we have some guys who watch alot of ohio state here

Here's what Nolan Nawrocki thinks about him:

Strengths
Highly productive, disruptive playmaker vs. the run and pass. Shoots gaps and plays behind the line of scrimmage (compiled 39.5 TFL the last two seasons). Agile to slip blocks. Quick, strong hands to shed. Knifes gaps and flows very well laterally. Striking tackler -- uncoils on contact. Excellent speed and range -- opens up his stride in space and really covers ground. Bends naturally. Changes direction and accelerates with ease. Explosive first step as a pass rusher -- shows the ability to dip, bend and run the arc low to the ground. Ample athleticism and flexibility to mark backs and tight ends. Four-down utility. Arrow is pointing up.

Weaknesses
Lacks ideal size and bulk. Still developing eyes and instincts -- will diagnose and trigger more quickly down the road. Gets caught in traffic or engulfed by larger blockers when he hesitates to step downhill. Prone to overaggressiveness -- occasionally overruns plays or loses cutback contain. Could stand to improve his eyes, awareness, anticipation and reactions as a zone defender. Took some time to acclimate before making an impact.

Bottom Line
The Big Ten's leading tackler, Shazier flies around the field and his unique athletic ability stands out. Offers a tremendous combination of speed, tackling and coverage skills to become a playmaker as a run-and-hit 4-3 Will or perhaps a 3-4 weakside 'backer if protected by a block-occupying nose tackle. Value is increased by the fact that he will not have to come off the field.

As I said in another thread, I'm not sure we need another weakside LB.

packfan1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Would be nice to move Hyde to saftey with Hayward back in the mix. Hopefully that is the case as we can then focus on our LB group. I think Shazier would add some much needed speed to the middle of the defense and at 6'1 237 he can add 5 pounds of muscle easily without losing much if any speed. I'd be happy with the pick

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He immediately brings speed and athleticism to not only the backer spot but the defense.
Have you guys noticed that aj hawk is a three down lb now? I like Hawk but there's no way he's a three down lb. he's steady In the run game but he's a liability in the pass game and Shazier would allow Capers the flexibility to play more man on that down instead of zone which I know a lot of is hate. Shazier is also solid vs the run and is sideline to sideline with the ability to shed blockers with his quickness and speed. His ability to be able to play in the middle or the outside makes him a weapon because you can move him all over the defense in certain situations. Look if the Packers make the playoffs they will probably have to beat the Niners or Seahawks to get to the SB. With a guy like Shazier and Matthews manning the outside the defense can put more pressure on the qb without the risk of having Kap or Wilson run wild because our backers are to slow . It still haunts me to this day watching Mulumba chasing Kap on a bad leg . He was playing because Neal was hurt of course and at Clay was hurt, shazier doesn't have a history of injury issues. We need more of those types.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The inside linebacker position definitely needs upgrading... as does safety. AJ Hawk is solid, but unspectacular. He's great because he'll show up on Sunday and is assignment sound. Brad Jones was an immense disappointment last season. One of the mock draft writers on www.sportsline.com has the Packers taking Shazier.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm not sure why some of you think Shazier will play at ILB in the NFL. I think his best position in a 3-4 would be weakside OLB.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not sure why some of you think Shazier will play at ILB in the NFL. I think his best position in a 3-4 would be weakside OLB.

I think he can play either or. He could easily go to a team that plays a 4-3 and play in the middle. In Green Bay I to see him as the weak side olb but he'd be an upgrade over jones and probably Hawk to in the middle.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think he can play either or. He could easily go to a team that plays a 4-3 and play in the middle. In Green Bay I to see him as the weak side olb but he'd be an upgrade over jones and probably Hawk to in the middle.

Not sure about that, especially with our situation at NT, as he will get engulfed too easy by large blockers.

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's to small for OLB in a 3-4. His speed would be great for covering guys in the slot and TEs off the line. The thing is, someone very much like him came out last year (Arthur Brown) and was taken by a 3-4 team (the ravens in the second) because of his speed and didn't do much for them (no starts, 11 tackles). Maybe he'll come around, but guys like this that are that small can get lost in the wash if the guys in front of them don't do their job really well.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Arthur Brown not really a good comparison he does not have 4.3 speed. He ran a 4.67 40 which is fast for a lb but nowhere near a 4.36. Brown compares better to Cj Mosley who ran a 4.65.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Arthur Brown not really a good comparison he does not have 4.3 speed. He ran a 4.67 40 which is fast for a lb but nowhere near a 4.36. Brown compares better to Cj Mosley who ran a 4.65.

Agree. Brown doesn't have anything near Shazier's speed and quickness. Shazier is blazing fast. He could run down Kaepernick I'm sure. But if given a choice between CJ Mosley and Shazier, Mosley looks to be the more complete ILB. He's not nearly as fast as Shazier, and both have a history of injuries, so neither has the advantage there. If there's a rap on Shazier it's about his tackling technique.

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, I can't remember seeing an LB that can run like Shazier. That said, an unofficial 4.37 at a pro day...I don't really buy. It's also a little troubling that he had a bad hammy at the combine and then tweaked it running one 40 at the pro day. Either way, yeah, he's faster than Brown, but the point is that smaller guys like that can end up being targets in the run game if olinemen can get to the second level.

It also occurs to me that Shazier is both smaller and faster than Kam Chancellor. I wonder how his ball skills are...

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
His speed and quickness would help with that I'm sure;)

Speed doesn't help when your gap responsibilities are completely wasted as your trying to run around the olinemen. At some point he's going to need to be able to contend with an olinemen in a 3-4 defense and he just isn't equipped to do that. His great speed would be good in coverage but Mosley is a better coverage linebacker than Shazier because Mosley reads defenses a LOT better than Shazier.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
He's to small for OLB in a 3-4. His speed would be great for covering guys in the slot and TEs off the line. The thing is, someone very much like him came out last year (Arthur Brown) and was taken by a 3-4 team (the ravens in the second) because of his speed and didn't do much for them (no starts, 11 tackles). Maybe he'll come around, but guys like this that are that small can get lost in the wash if the guys in front of them don't do their job really well.
With that said, could he possibly move to SS?

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
This is Packer Update’s take on him:
The only issue with Shazier is his lack of size. While he was up to 237 pounds at his Pro Day, he still looks more like a safety than a linebacker. On the positive side, he also moves like a safety. And that’s what makes him so appealing. His speed and burst jump off the screen. There are few linebackers at any level who can make plays all over the field the way he can.
http://packerupdate.net/?p=31868

He goes on to say he’s not an ideal fit for the 3-4 but begins by noting Thompson has said a good player can play in any system.

I have no idea if Shazier will be available at 21 and if he is, how he’ll stack up with other players on the top of the Packers’ board. But I prefer players who were productive in college as opposed to combine workout warriors (only) and Shazier certainly qualifies.

profile_removed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To me Shazier would be #3 on my LB list if I had one. I am more impressed with the level of competition CJ Mosley played with and excelled against, and Max Bullough's intelligence and ability to be where he needs to be when he needs to bet here to make a play. I worry not just because Shazier and Hawk BOTH went to Ohio State, but also because everybody sees Shazier as a beast, that he may be another Hawk, who I won't call a bust, but who wasn't worth a top 10 pick either.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
I like him, I think he would be a good weapon to have and would help combat the trendy new running fool QB like Kraper**** and several others. He would be a good fit.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd be fine with him in the second but there are just too many questions about him to make him a first round pick. Just look at what happened to Datone Jones. He gets hurt and doesn't have an immediate impact and fans are saying he was a disappointment. Shazier is fast but he's not an established coverage guy, despite what many are saying he didn't excel in coverage at OSU. Sure, he's got the speed to become a great coverage guy but it's going to take time. He's also going to need to learn how to take on and defeat blockers, a process that is going to take time. He MIGHT be a situational player by the end of the season but I highly doubt he makes any kind of real impact on the defense in the first year. Now, if we ran a 4-3 I would be fine taking him in the first round.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Think a taller Mychal Kendricks. He's a sideline to sideline Buck. While I'm not fond of the idea of drafting yet another WILB, Shazier is one of the exceptions.

H

HardRightEdge

I looked at some of his tape. What jumps out at me is (1) closing speed and (2) closing from space. There is a repetitive theme there.

I don't see this guy at all at ILB. He looks more like a open field player to me...more a strong safety-type as some have suggested. He looks best on delayed middle blitzes where he makes hay with his burst and in short zone coverages where he reacts from space and closes. I'm not seeing that block-shedding-into-striking-position...more a handsy slide-off move. We see enough of that from Hawk and Jones...as the faster-paced and more athletic NFL leaves them lost in the wash or trailing the play a bit too often. I contend we lack that Bishop-like striking presence.

It's very hard to tell how Shazier would be at SS turning and running with a TE or what his ball skills might be in downfield coverage. Those are the kinds of thing some of those "silly" Combine drills would help assess which I did not happen to see.

When you get down to it, there's Mosley (a terrific football player...more polished now than Bishop was at the time of his injury) and then a sizable gap to everybody else at ILB.

Before expending a #1 pick on Shazier I'd look seriously at at Christian Jones down around the 4th. round for a 3rd. down sub with upside. He has decent ILB speed at 4.7 and a couple of things jumped out at me in watching the Clemson tape. He's fluid dropping in coverage. He's just a good, instinctual, versatile football player...they had him playing down DE, upright edge rusher and ILB in relatively equal doses in that game (don't say "elephant", please). He's deceptive in that he's efficient...he doesn't display flashy athleticism because he doesn't waste much motion getting to the ball. It's kind of funny watching that tape because for some reason, perhaps coincidence if one wishes to believe that, Clemson was playing away from him most of the game in that defense stacked with talent.

Jones would not be the striker we need in the middle of the field, but neither would Shazier, while Jones could put Hawk back on the bench on 3rd. down to start with.

I have not jumped on the Mosley bandwagon only because (1) I doubt we'll get near him at #21, (2) McCarthy has recently reiterated his high expectations for Barrington and (3) we've got a fair amount of cap space allocated to Hawk and Jones who are not bad football players.

I must admit, after going back and looking at Barrington's tape from college, I had no such inspired take as McCarthy. In the unlikely event Mosley fell to #21 I'd take him, and then look for a wideout and cover corner in the second/third rounds, maybe doing some trade-ups using our extra 3rd. and 5th. picks.

Mosely is a really, really good football player and he's the kind of striker we could use in the middle of field. So could a lot of other teams.

Borland...meh.

Last edited by a moderator:

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Isn't our "bandit" position essentially an open field ILB who flows to the ball? That IS what we do with Brad Jones right?

I don't see Christian Jones stacking and shedding: his point skills are as bad as Shazier's, and he gets caught on blocks. I hear most of Jones' plays came from the DE spot, so there's that.

Or we put B.Jones at SILB, and Shazier at WILB to sit Hawk down on 3rd down.

Any thoughts on Zumwalt? I kinda like.

Latest posts