Ryan - MVP vs titans

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yeah he punted his *** off, it was cool.

our coverage of those punts were bad, but a lot of those guys were guys who will not be on the team by the time people read this.

umair

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yea, those are impressive numbers.

the only thing we need is better coverage and we will have a great punting unit.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Noah Herron played a great game and in my opinion was the MVP for the team. Not like being MVP for the 4th pre season game matters.

Ryan looked great. The coverage was awful. They're going to need to work on that otherwise Devin Hester is going to get one on them a week from Sunday.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ryan has amazing leg strength, but I'm worried about the coverage. When a returner catches a deep punt that doesn't have a lot of hang time, he gets plenty of time to pick a spot to run to and make his first cut at full speed. One thing is for sure: The punt plays will be exciting this year. They just may not be exciting in the way we would like them to be.

Ryan needs to convert some of that distance into hang time. A high 50-yarder is much better than a low 60-yarder.

recte44

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg, I couldn't agree with you more. As I've alluded to in a previous post, he was consistently outkicking his coverage. It's a problem with the units, for sure. However, even given his outstanding distance his hang times were just good.

He needs to work towards striking a balance between kicking the bejesus out of the ball, and hanging it up there so he can work towards a 40+ net average, rather than the 35 he put up yesterday.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey.....i'm so used to BJ Sander kicking 35 yarders, then the returner making a 10 yard return.
I was AMAZED watching Ryan kick! And i thought the hang time was DARN good for 50 and 60 yard punts! Just get some guys in there that can TACKLE, and we'd have the best punting group in the NFL.

recte44

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not saying the guy isn't a HUGE improvement, because he is. If he could just get another .5 seconds onto his hang time; and we improve the coverage, that would help us so much in trying to win the field position war.

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is truely a sad day when a teams punter is the game MVP. He certainly saw plenty of action :x

recte44

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:
Maybe they should try more directional kicking. Pin the guy more to the sideline.
This was the thought when they picked up Sander, but the problem is you have to have that talent to do that (directional punting is one of the lost art forms in the game right now), and Ryan is a pure power kicker.

The Packers can be successful with him, but they need to get the right structure to their punt coverage units (combo of strength, separation, and speed).

This is why I think Zac Alcorn will surprise and be a part of the final roster, because he was one who showed me those skills yesterday.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
recte44 said:
cheesey said:
Maybe they should try more directional kicking. Pin the guy more to the sideline.
This was the thought when they picked up Sander, but the problem is you have to have that talent to do that (directional punting is one of the lost art forms in the game right now), and Ryan is a pure power kicker.

The Packers can be successful with him, but they need to get the right structure to their punt coverage units (combo of strength, separation, and speed).

This is why I think Zac Alcorn will surprise and be a part of the final roster, because he was one who showed me those skills yesterday.
Yup....Alcorn DID look good!
I miss those days when punters would "coffin corner" kick, when the ball would go out of bounds inside the 5 yard line. It IS a lost art! A guy could make a fortune in the NFL if he could do that today.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
recte44 said:
He needs to work towards striking a balance between kicking the bejesus out of the ball, and hanging it up there so he can work towards a 40+ net average, rather than the 35 he put up yesterday.

More hang time would also decrease the chance of blocks, which were a big-time problem for him in Canada. Let's hope the coaches are working with him on this. But he is doing a good job overall, and should be a significant upgrade over Sander.

Cdnfavrefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jon's always had the big leg but the one thing I know he said he'd have to work on is not dropping the ball as high as he did up here, to keep the wind from disturbing it. Looks like he won't be coming back here anytime soon

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts