Ryan Grant still not under contract?

NodakPaul

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was surprised when I read this this morning:

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080508/PKR01/805080626/1058
With the signing of rookie cornerbacks Condrew Allen of Portland State and Kyle Ward of Louisiana-Lafayette and offensive tackle Ryan Considine of Louisiana Tech, the Packers have 89 players on their offseason roster. That's nine more than the training camp maximum.

However, unsigned players don't count. Those include the nine draft picks plus running back Ryan Grant, who hasn't signed his exclusive-rights tender because he's hoping for a long-term contract.

I actually had to look up what an exclusive right tender was and found the following:
"Under the CBA, the team holds the exclusive rights to such players, and may continue to offer them one-year deals for the minimum salary based on their years of service, until they have completed three years in the league. At that point, the players become eligible for restricted free agency."

This is surprising to me that the Packers are not signing him to a contract, instead only offering him the minimum salary based on years of service. He pretty much resurrected your running game last year. While continuing to offer him a one year exclusive rights contract now is safer for the team, I would think that they are risking alienating him if he does continue to play at the level he finished the season with.

johnny_blood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What is the real risk of alienating him? That he will underperform? That's just going to prevent him from getting the big contract he wants. We have his rights again the following season. That he'll be a bad influence in the locker room? I don't think that's likely.

If the Packers gave him a sizeable contract now and he continues to perform as he did last year then he'll just want to renegotiate. I say we wait and see if he can do it for a full season. If so, give him the big contract.

I'd much rather do what's safer for the team than cater to the interests of someone who has a very short track record. Yes, he resurrected our running game. If he continues to perform he will be rewarded. He has no other options.

I say this as someone who really likes Grant.

Let's not forget that Brandon Jackson looked better at the very end of the season. Maybe some of that resurrection had to do with the O-Line improving their zone blocking. Let's wait and see what happens. Grant is making a good living playing football and can get himself a huge contract by kicking some butt this year. Giving a huge contract after 8 games is unwise and not an option at this point, but if he continues at this level, only a huge contract will do. So we wait.

OP
OP
N

NodakPaul

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see your point, and I agree that it is less risk for the team in the short run. But isn't 2008 his third season? That means that he will be eligible for RFA status. I think that the Packers, if they actually think that he is a good running back, can get him for a LOT cheaper now than they will be able to once he hits free agency.

Plus, I would be surprised if he is looking for a HUGE contract this year. I think the concern is more of a long term contract - more than the one year minimum.

If I was in Grants shoes, I would get more and more disenchanted with the Pack as time went on and they kept on paying me the absolute minimum. It would cause me to look elsewhere once that option became available.

johnny_blood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think 2008 is not his third season because with the Giants he was on IR due to that accident where he cut open his arm. That's just my vague recollection, someone here probably has the actual facts. I think only full seasons count.

It's all speculation and you could be right about what he wants. But if I was Grant I would not be mad at the one team that really gave me a chance, and since I led the league in yards when I was starting, I'd want the huge contract!

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
you see... we here in Packerland... dont over pay for a glimpse of talent. and we believe you reap what you sow. If he wants to sit out after one half of a good season... then so be it, he can sit. We made him what he is, we can make someone else too.

Ryan Grant has no choice but to play or sit for the next 2 years so he can become a free agent. We dont sign people to stupid contracts after one half of a great season. you gotta play to get payed.

and theres already a thread for this. and its all been discussed in great detail.

OP
OP
N

NodakPaul

Cheesehead
Reaction score
you see... we here in Packerland... dont over pay for a glimpse of talent. and we believe you reap what you sow. If he wants to sit out after one half of a good season... then so be it, he can sit. We made him what he is, we can make someone else too.

Ryan Grant has no choice but to play or sit for the next 2 years so he can become a free agent. We dont sign people to stupid contracts after one half of a great season. you gotta play to get payed.

and theres already a thread for this. and its all been discussed in great detail.

Sorry, not trying to make duplicates. I didn't see the other thread. I did a search on the article url, and looked back in the first five pages on the forum index and didn't see anything. I went back and looked again, and found it was discussed last a little more than six weeks ago.

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One year he was on the PS for the whole season and the other year he was with NYG he had a PS contract and from there he went to the IR list.
If he had signed a "full" contract before going on the IR that would have counted as season 1

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Sorry, not trying to make duplicates. I didn't see the other thread. I did a search on the article url, and looked back in the first five pages on the forum index and didn't see anything. I went back and looked again, and found it was discussed last a little more than six weeks ago.

No worries mate.. it was discussed a while ago.. with it being slow.. not a bad one to discuss again.. with a twist.. when does he bend an sign the tender? Does he skip the comming OTA's? Even though he stated via his agent in the media that he won't, but when push comes to shove will he holdout?

He has no leverage but to squak about his deal.. it would be a mistake for him to hold out.. but not a bad play to not sign it and keep the media reports churing that he hasn't signed it. PR is all he has for the next couple years.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd like to see the Packers give him another one year deal. base it on his numbers last year, make it competitive. like $1M. I think that's fair. If he does what he did all of last year, he'll be up for a sweet contract.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
I'd like to see the Packers give him another one year deal. base it on his numbers last year, make it competitive. like $1M. I think that's fair. If he does what he did all of last year, he'll be up for a sweet contract.

That sounds about right. It's such an unusual situation that it's hard to tell what will actually happen.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Someone like Donald Driver or Aaron Kampman need to talk to him and say "be patient, perform well, work your tail off, and you will be rewarded. Big time." That's how the ball rolls here in Green Bay.

I wouldn't be surprised if one of them did say that to him. The question is whether or not he'll heed it.

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've said this before, but I think Jennings is TT's signing priority. Greg is a budding superstar, and I'm sorry, but I just don't see that with Grant. I think that awesome game he had against Seattle had a lot more to do with those pansies from the Pacific northwest playing in a snowstorm than it did
with Ryan being stud running back.

Don't get me wrong, Grant is better than the run of the mill NFL back, but a star player, I don't think so. We have about 4 or 5 backs on the roster that can get the job done, the real key is the O-line, and the system we now run. Grant will continue to get his chances and have every opportunity to really earn the big paycheck, but for now he's still a restricted player trying to earn the big money.

Reaction score
Listening to Ted's press conference on day 2 of the NFL draft, he briefly mentioned something like "we're not concerned about Grant's situation, he'll be on our roster come TC". (I'm probably butchering the quote, but that's basically what Ted meant IMO)

I got the impression that Grant's agent and the Packers are talking, and the talks have been moving forward, perhaps slowly but steadily. So there isn't a reason to worry IMO. Grant has yet to miss any mandatory practices of OTAs yet, and he participated in the voluntary workouts this off-season.

So getting Grant may take a bit of time yet, but from all indications there is nothing to worry about getting Grant under contract.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
Listening to Ted's press conference on day 2 of the NFL draft, he briefly mentioned something like "we're not concerned about Grant's situation, he'll be on our roster come TC". (I'm probably butchering the quote, but that's basically what Ted meant IMO)

I got the impression that Grant's agent and the Packers are talking, and the talks have been moving forward, perhaps slowly but steadily. So there isn't a reason to worry IMO. Grant has yet to miss any mandatory practices of OTAs yet, and he participated in the voluntary workouts this off-season.

So getting Grant may take a bit of time yet, but from all indications there is nothing to worry about getting Grant under contract.

Time is on our side. He has 2 years of service owed to GB before he becomes a RESTRICTED free agent. If he STILL isn't signed to a long-term deal by then (he will be, though), we slap him with the highest tender, and either sign him then, or place the franchise tag on him. Don't worry, though. It will never progress that far.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
johnny_blood said:
If you look at his page on the official Packers site it says "2nd NFL Season, 2nd Packers Season." :) They seem to think his time with the Giants doesn't count as a year.

http://www.packers.com/team/players/grant_ryan/

It doesn't since he was on the practice squad or at least I think that's how it works.

I think he'll get a deal eventually but it may not come until mid season. Even if he is eligible for restricted free agency next year or the year after, Green Bay will just slap the 1st and 3rd tender on him and I don't think anyone would give that for him. Nobody did for Marion Barber III and they rate out very similar in my opinion.

millertime

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tell him that if he performs well for the first 8 games, we'll give him the deal he wants.

Gb will pay to keep their players who perform.

PackFanWithTwins

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My guess is that nothing will happen with Grant until after the draft picks are all or mostly signed. TT will then look at how much money is remaining and decide what to do then.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
My guess is that nothing will happen with Grant until after the draft picks are all or mostly signed. TT will then look at how much money is remaining and decide what to do then.

or they could be very well done with the basics

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would say do not give him the long term contract until after he has proved himself.

I love the guy's attitude and perseverance. I love what he did in a half of a season.

However, right now in my mind he is "Don Mclean." the one hit wonder who wrote "American Pie." one of the best songs ever written.

He needs another song. I hope he writes 16 more songs in 2008/09

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raider Pride said:
I would say do not give him the long term contract until after he has proved himself.

I love the guy's attitude and perseverance. I love what he did in a half of a season.

However, right now in my mind he is "Don Mclean." the one hit wonder who wrote "American Pie." one of the best songs ever written.

He needs another song. I hope he writes 16 more songs in 2008/09

RP.....How could you forget "Vincent", "Starry Starry Night","Winterwood", and that all time classic "Crossroads". :D :D :D :D

I'll take 4 more "American Pie" years from Grant. Sometime people forget that it's not only the player who makes waves but there is always that "evil" agent who's job is to get the best contract for his client.

RG will be there and if he performs up to his highest level he will be rewarded next year, TT has proven he will pay the guys who deserve it.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh! "Starry starry Night"! I actually remember that one! :D
Anyway....i think Grant's situation will be worked out. Thats why we arn't hearing anything about it. No reason to "P&M" if it's being taken care of.

Members online

Latest posts