Ryan Grant speaks with USA today.

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Everyone thinks the safety battle is going to be intense, but RB will be a huge battle. I like Noah's heart, but he has to be on the outside looking in. I would say it's going to be Grant, Jackson, and Wynn.

Grant better get his but in there soon, because he may just lose his starting position.

CalifPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Everyone thinks the safety battle is going to be intense, but RB will be a huge battle. I like Noah's heart, but he has to be on the outside looking in. I would say it's going to be Grant, Jackson, and Wynn.

Grant better get his but in there soon, because he may just lose his starting position.

I agree with you, Dakota. If Grant does sign a contract the Pack will have some real nice depth at RB with Jacksons off season dedication and hopefully an improved Wynn.

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"In Grant's absence, the Packers are getting an extended look at second-year backs Brandon Jackson and DeShawn Wynn."

Beware Ryan!

Beware the opportunity you are giving to Jacskon and Wynn.

It is the same opportunity you had to showcase your talent in front of the same coaches to get an extended look at "YOU" after the Packers pulled you out of the hell hole of the practice squad of the New York Giants.

You are playing a very serious hand of poker here young man and I suggest you fold your hand.

Do the remarkable things you did for half a season last year, then raise the bet in the next hand.

Unless of course, you and your agent think, you are truly a flash in the pan NFL player. In that case hold your ground. and get all of the bucks you can

Since69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am going on the record right here saying that Wynn will not make the team.

Don't be so sure...

Yahoo! Team Report

Sudden impact: DeShawn Wynn - The second-year running back faces a make-or-break training camp. His inability to stay healthy last season, which ended prematurely after seven games because of a shoulder injury, cost Wynn the starting job and has him in a crowded mix trying to win a backup spot behind his breakthrough replacement, Ryan Grant. Wynn is perhaps the most physical back on the team and a load to bring down between the tackles. Healthy again, Wynn added a few more pounds of muscle mass this offseason and is ready to go toe to toe with Brandon Jackson for the No. 2 job. Wynn also seems to have his head on straight after a lack of maturity bogged him down.

This is the only place I've read about Wynn, but it sure sounds good.

OP
OP
P

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, there are definately two sides to the story. Quote from a Packer reporter ...

"I see DeShawn Wynn getting cut if he doesn't have a good camp."

TheEngineer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would think Morency would be cut before Wynn? At least Wynn showed some potential early on, Morency didn't really impress me during the season.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raider Pride said:
"In Grant's absence, the Packers are getting an extended look at second-year backs Brandon Jackson and DeShawn Wynn."

Beware Ryan!

It is the same opportunity you had to showcase your talent in front of the same coaches to get an extended look at "YOU" after the Packers pulled you out of the hell hole of the practice squad of the New York Giants.

You are playing a very serious hand of poker here young man and I suggest you fold your hand.

Do the remarkable things you did for half a season last year, then raise the bet in the next hand.

Unless of course, you and your agent think, you are truly a flash in the pan NFL player. In that case hold your ground. and get all of the bucks you can

On the contrary, Grant outperformed both of those guys so badly last year that he actually does have quite a bit of leverage. And while I'm not sure whether or not the Giants practice squad was a "hell hole," I can't blame him for wanting more than the minimum salary for being the #1 halfback on a team that is contending for a championship.

The NFL is by nature a high-stakes, high-risk venture, maybe even more so at RB than any other position. Ryan Grant did not get to where he is by being timid, so it would surprise me if he folded his hand and agreed to play for the minimum, or something close to it. The fact that they are in negotiations shows that the Packers have some understanding of his situation, and it's encouraging that no bad words have been exchanged. If he does not sign a contract within the first few days of training camp, though, then we'll have a problem. I'll wait till then to start passing judgment on either side.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
Raider Pride said:

Beware Ryan!

On the contrary, Grant outperformed both of those guys so badly last year that he actually does have quite a bit of leverage.

A lot can change over a year. Guys build muscle mass. Guys get healthy. Guys who had one good year get left behind.

A lot can change overe a year.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A lot can change over a year. Guys build muscle mass. Guys get healthy. Guys who had one good year get left behind.

A lot can change overe a year.

Point taken. But there are hundreds of thousands of dollars at stake here, and the chances of Grant losing his job in minicamp are probably very small. So I think he's taking a small risk for a potentially big gain.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think his risk is dumb to begin with. Green Bay pays its players now. Just not prematurely.

If the offensive line improves(it will) and makes one of these other guys look real good, Grant could be putting himself in a bad position.

I'm starting to get tired of the "I want to participate but I have no choice" angle too. You do have a choice.

What if Greg Jennings did this after his rookie year? It's not like Grant's contract runs out anytime soon. Don't we have him locked up for 2 more years?

djcubez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The way I see it, Grant is losing a lot of potential money by asking for a contract now. Don't you think if he were to come out and perform well this season he'd be offered a lot more midway with a contract extension? Especially when you see how TT does it with all the other players on the Pack; You play well, you get rewarded in due time. I think Ryan's making a huge mistake.

Profizzle99

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well personally, I think that Grant is really hurting himself here. Jackson has the ability to gain 5 extra yards after he is wrapped up (Detroit Game), he took on two defenders and pushed his way for a first. I think with that 1st year of experience Jackson is ready to go if Grant keeps on acting like this. I think the success he had last year was more about the OL than Grant himself. Now with an improved OL, Jackson can do the job need-be so this will be a fun training camp.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think his risk is dumb to begin with. Green Bay pays its players now. Just not prematurely.

If the offensive line improves(it will) and makes one of these other guys look real good, Grant could be putting himself in a bad position.

I'm starting to get tired of the "I want to participate but I have no choice" angle too. You do have a choice.

What if Greg Jennings did this after his rookie year? It's not like Grant's contract runs out anytime soon. Don't we have him locked up for 2 more years?

Grant does not have a contract, but the Packers have his rights for two more years, so he is stuck here.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Grant doesn't appear to have much leverage in this situation. Wouldn't it be awesome to see B-Jack take over the reigns and have huge success this season? I want Grant to get a nice contract but I hope it's incentive-laden because he hasn't even done it for a full season yet.

Members online

Latest posts