Ryan Grant signed

H

HardRightEdge

Yeah, I agree with you HRE, especially with what Lazard did v. DET, along with LaFleur's comments regarding his confidence in Shepherd, a WR that I believe will prove himself next time out. The guy is a baller, and both gaffes were COMPLETELY out of character for him.

My thinking is they may deem another position to be one of greater need. WR is still up there, but another may help us more depending on the continued health of this team. For instance, I'm not sure about you, but, an injury to either Bakhtiari or Bulaga would get one hell of a lot of attention from Packers fans everywhere.

Maybe Gutekunst is looking at WR a bit more as a storm we may be able to weather? Maybe LaFleur is too? Especially given this signing of Ryan Grant. Personally, I would like to see adds at BOTH WR and OT before the deadline, if possible. I mean, a feature WR level talent. Tough to say what he is able to pull off, as it takes two to tango.
You don't have the cap to get a "feature WR talent" and an OT of consequence in trade. There are some feature WRs being discussed that are not particulary affordable on their own. Right now A.J. Green, for example, if Cincy was a mind to move him, would cost $7 mil for the balance of the season at this moment. That would take the cap space down to $2 - $3 mil and you need some of that for an IR replacement cushion.

Once the trade deadline passes you're left with street or waiver wire pickups. If we take Sanu as an example again, or some player of similar value at another position, it is implausible that a team looking to dump salary wouldn't get at least a 7th. round pick before the deadline.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
Ryan Grant is a warm body as the Packers need numbers at WR right now. He comes with veteran experience. He certainly is not a game changer, but for the time being it sounds like he is the best option the packers had. All I know is every RB, TE and WR on the roster better be spending OT on the jugs machine. 3 dropped touchdowns last week is pretty unacceptable in the NFL.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's all remember Grant wasn't brought in to be the stud of the WRs...I sense he was brought in to add experience, route running savvy guy that will provide far more than say Trevor Davis had OR what we a presently getting out of Allison/Kumerow/MVS.

I as well don't see this as a stop to us possibly still adding or trading for something bigger, but this also could be that solid extra lifejacket put on to weather the storm till Adams/Gmo/Jace/Tonyan are healthy and back...with the bonus of Ryan now also there.

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
HRE,
From a cap standpoint, it is difficult to say what Gutes can work out, not knowing who he is looking at as a possible addition. Seems there are any number of possibilities. I do like the idea of Sanu too. Will just have to see. Figure, he may want to throw more cap at an OT, and would also be able to add a more economical impact player in trade at WR as well. Sanu? Maybe. Depends on what he is working on adding to this roster. Should find out soon enough.

H

HardRightEdge

Adams is out.
Allison is out.

MVS didn't practice yesterday.

Worst case scenario: Kumerow, Lazard, Shep. That's all we got.

We *had* to sign somebody. Seriously, we need a body out there. Now hopefully MVS can play, but we don't have a lot of healthy, or good, WR's out there.

What I'm saying is, Ryan Grant isn't going to keep the Packers from signing or trading for somebody they think can make us better. He's a minimum contract, just a guy. You don't base roster decisions around players like him.
MVS wrenched his knee in the 2nd. quarter of the Detroit game and went out for a spell. He came back in and made that big catch in the 4th. quarter. I imagine it might have been sore the morning after. The odds are he's resting it and will be back for Oakland unless you can point to some other injury. I don't see any point in painting a worst case scenario at this junture.

You might base roster decisions around a guy like Grant if you are of a mind to conserve cap.

MVS out or not, they do need a 4th. or 5th. guy. You could be right. He could be an emergency backstop who's gone in a couple of weeks. Or he could be the best move in a situation where economy is a priority.

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's all remember Grant wasn't brought in to be the stud of the WRs...I sense he was brought in to add experience, route running savvy guy that will provide far more than say Trevor Davis had OR what we a presently getting out of Allison/Kumerow/MVS.

I as well don't see this as a stop to us possibly still adding or trading for something bigger, but this also could be that solid extra lifejacket put on to weather the storm till Adams/Gmo/Jace/Tonyan are healthy and back...with the bonus of Ryan now also there.
I do like that idea. Figure, Darrius Shepherd has to show that the NFL game is not too big for him, and things could change quickly for him on this roster if he doesn't put last Sunday to bed and produce like he knows he can. The Grant signing helps immensely as some insurance in this regard, for sure. At least, I would think so. Having Davante Adams wanting him to be brought in has to help Grant's cause here.

H

HardRightEdge

HRE,
From a cap standpoint, it is difficult to say what Gutes can work out, not knowing who he is looking at as a possible addition. Seems there are any number of possibilities. I do like the idea of Sanu too. Will just have to see. Figure, he may want to throw more cap at an OT, and would also be able to add a more economical impact player in trade at WR as well. Sanu? Maybe. Depends on what he is working on adding to this roster. Should find out soon enough.
Do you think Gutekunst's approach is win now at all costs? I doubt it. That does seem to be the angle many are taking in this discussion.

The best argument to be made in acquiring a name WR would be if Adams' turf toe prognosis is poor for multiple games going forward. The other considerations are secondary. You don't make significant contract commitments based on one or two games.

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do you think Gutekunst's approach is win now at all costs? I doubt it. That does seem to be angle many are taking in this discussion.

The best argument to be made in acquiring a name WR would be if Adams' turf toe prognosis is poor for multiple games going forward. You don't make significant contract commitments based on one or two games.
Yeah, I get what you're saying, and I kind of do believe we might have shifted into a "go for it" mode. Add to that, depending on how a trade or trades break, we may realize more than just the remainder of this season as a return. There are those crucial junctures where a player can really help put your team over the top in terms of being a true contender. I believe the Andre Rison signing after our WR corps were decimated by injury with Brooks' knee, Freeman's arm and Chmura's foot injuries clearing our decks in a similar manner in 1996 proved HUGE.

We'll have to see, but I do think we are all-in this season, and beyond. How the deals play out can definitely affect what we are able to do next year, so, it is a delicate situation. I can't wait to see what Gutekunst does here.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with @GleefulGary, Grant is a fill in because we don't have anybody else. I think GMo is out for 1-2 weeks. Somebody had to be signed. If AR lobbied for Lazard, I hope Lazard and MVS are on the outside with Jimmy/Shepherd/Kumerow in the slot. Tonyan or Lewis can handle blocking duties at TE and Jace can maybe get a play or two if he's healthy.

I don't think Grant precludes Gute from searching for a household name but I just don't see it happening regardless. Like some said already I don't think "at all costs" is at the end of that "Win now" statement. If there is a trade to be made, I can't see it happening for a Tier 1 type player, more likely a Tier 2. Somebody I've been monitoring for a time has been Kenny Stills, who Houston traded for but doesn't seem to utilize much and Keke Coutee is slowly working back in from injury. Another is Willie Snead from the Ravens who is out there but targeted sparingly.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
MVS wrenched his knee in the 2nd. quarter of the Detroit game and went out for a spell. He came back in and made that big catch in the 4th. quarter. I imagine it might have been sore the morning after. The odds are he's resting it and will be back for Oakland unless you can point to some other injury. I don't see any point in painting a worst case scenario at this junture.

You might base roster decisions around a guy like Grant if you are of a mind to conserve cap.

MVS out or not, they do need a 4th. or 5th. guy. You could be right. He could be an emergency backstop who's gone in a couple of weeks. Or he could be the best move in a situation where economy is a priority.

We have no idea if the FO is considering a trade for a weapon, but a street FA isn't changing the equation.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interesting that the Raiders let him go after acquiring Trevor Davis...

Grant's a vet, so I expect he knows how to run routes and contribute on Special Teams. He'll add some depth to the depleted receiving corps, so it's a solid bottom-of-roster move by Gutekunst. Anything more than that will be gravy.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Do you think Gutekunst's approach is win now at all costs? I doubt it. That does seem to be the angle many are taking in this discussion.

The best argument to be made in acquiring a name WR would be if Adams' turf toe prognosis is poor for multiple games going forward. The other considerations are secondary. You don't make significant contract commitments based on one or two games.

No, but acquiring a guy like Sanu is not "all costs." He has a fairly modest veteran salary in 2020.

And if they made a move, presumably it would be because they've recognized the weapons behind Adams to be deficient all season, and not merely because of this spat of injuries.

H

HardRightEdge

We have no idea if the FO is considering a trade for a weapon, but a street FA isn't changing the equation.
Well, I look at this way. Allison and the slot were the most likely targets for an upgrade on Sunday. This week would have been an obvious time to pull the trigger on a slot since now we don't have any. Instead, they went to the street. To me that lowers the odds of that name signing by some percentage points.

Do with that what you will.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HardRightEdge

No, but acquiring a guy like Sanu is not "all costs." He has a fairly modest veteran salary in 2020.
I've commented elsewhere on the cap picture for 2020 when adding Sanu's $6.5 mil to that picture while also figuring on $3+ mil this season taken out of the cap carryover.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Well, I look at this way. Allison and the slot were the most likely targets for an upgrade on Sunday. This week would have been an obvious time to pull the trigger on a slot since now we don't have any. Instead, they went to the street. To me that lowers the odds of that name signing by some percentage points.

Do with that what you will.

I don't think that's outlandish, but I think it's also possible that they weren't ready to make a deal.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I've commented elsewhere on the cap picture for 2020 when adding Sanu's $6.5 mil to that picture while also figuring on $3+ mil this season taken out of the cap carryover.

Yes, I understand. That not's negligible, but neither is it prohibitive or radical.

H

HardRightEdge

Yes, I understand. That not's negligible, but neither is it prohibitive or radical.
Well, if you cut Graham, cut Taylor, and keep Sanu, $179 mil against the cap for 39 players in 2020 with only $6 mil in carryover, it does start to look prohibitive. I was more enthusiastic about the idea before the NFLPA out of nowhere dropped the current cap space $6 mil.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Well, if you cut Graham, cut Taylor, and keep Sanu, $179 mil against the cap for 39 players in 2020 with only $6 mil in carryover, it does start to look prohibitive. I was more enthusiastic about the idea before the NFLPA out of nowhere dropped the current cap space $6 mil.

Yeah, I just totally disagree with you here. I think your takes on the cap situation tend to be a lot more dire than reality, just generally.

The Packers are slated to start the 2020 offseason with between 20 and 25 million in space and will accrue another 12.5M at least via veteran releases. 32-37M does not put them in position for another spending spree, but it certainly doesn't make a 6.5M hit for a receiver prohibitive. They create double that just through the releases of Graham and Taylor. Especially when you consider that if the Sanu move doesn't work out, or they want that space back, they can just cut him.

Members online

Latest posts