Ryan Grant signed

Reaction score
I just was going through FA wideouts and was gonna make a thread...and bam signed

https://www.packers.com/news/packers-sign-wr-ryan-grant
I like this signing. He’s a veteran who has a significant amount of experience. We had to sign an insurance policy or we were looking at 3 undrafted receivers playing going forward.
He’s average long speed 4.63 X40 but his 3-cone is very impressive (6.68) and basically a 10’ long jump. That tells me he has a good first step and he can cut on a dime.
He’s an above average catcher, so he’s reliable snatching the ball.

Not a “wow you” guy, but a dependable, move the chains possession type receiver. Cost is right too as he was sitting in the clearance bin.

Last edited:
OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like this signing. He’s a veteran who has a significant amount of experience. We had to sign an insurance policy or we were looking at 3 undrafted receivers playing going forward.
He’s average long speed 4.63 X40 but his 3-cone is very impressive (6.68) and basically a 10’ long jump. That tells me he has a good first step and he can cut on a dime.
He’s an above average catcher, so he’s reliable snatching the ball.

Not a “wow you” guy, but a dependable, move the chains possession type receiver. Cost is right too as he was sitting in the clearance bin.

Pretty much a poor man's Sanu LOL...I like it. If he catches on, he could even be had moving forward at a bargain.

Reaction score
Pretty much a poor man's Sanu LOL...I like it. If he catches on, he could even be had moving forward at a bargain.
True. I’m not sure how much Grant can contribute on short notice, but he gives Aaron another underneath option and a player who can’t be ignored. This wasn’t flashy, but more good common sense on Gutey’s part.

I feel better about having MVS, Lazard and Grant verses Shepherd in the mix. Shepherd needs more polishing IMO

H

HardRightEdge

Pretty much a poor man's Sanu LOL...I like it..
"Poor" in more ways than one. We're probably looking at something close to the minimum for a 6th year journeyman who's been without a job for awhile. Maybe a little more if he's been turning down cheapo offers.

His record is pretty ho hum:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/G/GranRy01.htm

If he's been playing slot or perimeter in a possession role over his career as his 10.8 yards per catch suggests, then his 60.9% catch rate is on the low side.

I'm going to presume they're adding him to do some work out of slot with Allison hurt and Shepherd messing up badly on Monday with two turnovers. Shepherd may be deemed not ready for prime time this season at WR.

I can't say I'm excited by this signing. I'd like to be pleasantly surprised. It does kinda indicate Gutekunst is not going to spend up for a trade deadline acqusition.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It does kinda indicate Gutekunst is not going to spend up for a trade deadline acquisition.
I don't think that's an accurate read of Gute. Look at what he did this past offseason. I think that he is willing to make the moves and spending the money, given the right player and financials. I don't think that it indicates anything yet.

You may be right, but conversely this might also be his immediate move with a bigger move in progress for a playoff run. He could be eyeing a bigger name, but waiting for their team to tank enough to deem their season over and a trade as a decent move.

I agree with you that this move was generally ho hum.

H

HardRightEdge

I don't think that's an accurate read of Gute. Look at what he did this past offseason. I think that he is willing to make the moves and spending the money, given the right player and financials. I don't think that it indicates anything yet.

You may be right, but conversely this might also be his immediate move with a bigger move in progress for a playoff run. He could be eyeing a bigger name, but waiting for their team to tank enough to deem their season over and a trade as a decent move.

I agree with you that this move was generally ho hum.
Maybe. But you must admit this signing makes the possibility of another just a little dimmer. You know, covered elsewhere, the cap situation for next season is kinda tight even with selected cuts to clear cap space. Gutekunst may be disinclined to spend up for credentials in the first place.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From a normal perspective, yes, but I think that Gute has been surprising us all so I'm not really sure about dimmer. I get your point though!

H

HardRightEdge

2 guys from Oakland and one guy from chiefs signed.

Interesting
The Chiefs guy was our kick returner for several games this season, now being brought back. The Packers could have picked his brain if there was anything to pick before they cut him. Grant fills a need beyond any copies of the playbook he made at Kinkos on the sly. Maybe the third guy if Grant didn't sneak that playbook.

I think too much is made of this stuff. These guys look like coincidences.

Reaction score
Maybe. But you must admit this signing makes the possibility of another just a little dimmer. You know, covered elsewhere, the cap situation for next season is kinda tight even with selected cuts to clear cap space. Gutekunst may be disinclined to spend up for credentials in the first place.
I’m with El Guapo. In your own words HRE you kinda discount the signing, which is understandable. But we’re talking about a minimal monetary number here in relationship to other veteran receivers. This doesn’t prevent us one bit from shopping, but it does show where our focus is in the immediate.

To me personally, it gives some credibility that GB is not in a desperate situation anymore. They will very likely have both Ryan Grant, Jace Sternberger and Davante Adams active by the Chargers game. The move is an insurance policy in the event we get beat on competing offers. I’m going to error on giving our hiring staff the proper respect they’ve earned based on the aggressiveness of their past moves and actions. No way are we done sniffing around yet at WR. If anything, activity breeds activity.

H

HardRightEdge

I’m with El Guapo. In your own words HRE you kinda discount the signing, which is understandable. But we’re talking about a minimal monetary number here in relationship to other veteran receivers. This doesn’t prevent us one bit from shopping, but it does show where our focus is in the immediate.

To me personally, it gives some credibility that GB is not in a desperate situation anymore. They will very likely have both Ryan Grant, Jace Sternberger and Davante Adams active by the Chargers game. The move is an insurance policy in the event we get beat on competing offers. I’m going to error on giving our hiring staff the proper respect they’ve earned based on the aggressiveness of their past moves and actions. No way are we done sniffing around yet at WR. If anything, activity breeds activity.
I get your point. I'll stick with what I said. The Grant signing makes a WR splash signing kinda less likely.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
I get your point. I'll stick with what I said. The Grant signing makes a WR splash signing kinda less likely.
There is zero question in my mind that this move leverages us to be more aggressive in our WR pursuits more so than crippling our pocket book. That doesn’t mean we “will” sign one, that means we are not as desperate to give away the farm trying it.

In layman’s terms, This is a piddly move.

We also don’t know if Davante Adams makes a full recover to the point of no re injury all season? Can anyone make that assertion? Assuming that would be very, very unwise. We’ve now lost, EQ, Adams and GMO and we’re 5-1 operating with 3 UDFAs and a HOF QB.
This is the definition of holding back Cap funds for significant injuries. Just my opinion. I might be completely lost too.

D

Deleted member 6794

Shepherd may be deemed not ready for prime time this season at WR.

During yesterday's press conference MLF mentioned that Shepherd will continue to return punts moving forward

But you must admit this signing makes the possibility of another just a little dimmer. You know, covered elsewhere, the cap situation for next season is kinda tight even with selected cuts to clear cap space.

I don't believe the Packers signing Grant will result in the available cap space changing by much. He might have even signed for the minimum.

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

RB Ryan Grant vs WR Ryan Grant

*Sorry. Someone had to.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was kind of thinking that our disagreement reminds me of the futile disagreement in Major League:

It's outta here....

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't realize both he and Davante Adams had the same HC in college, and have been working out together every off season. Davante put a word in for Grant, and I can see he might be a nice go-to for Rodgers with some value. Not the biggest guy, not the fastest - at all... but the best descriptor that I've seen used is "slippery," and I'd have to agree after seeing some of his highlights.

I would not consider us done in terms of WR adds... I could see one more.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
While this could signal that the Packers won't make a trade for a veteran wide receiver, signing Grant won't stop Gutekunst from taking advantage of pulling the trigger if the right deal is out there.

H

HardRightEdge

During yesterday's press conference MLF mentioned that Shepherd will continue to return punts moving forward.

I don't believe the Packers signing Grant will result in the available cap space changing by much. He might have even signed for the minimum.
My comment about Shepherd possibly shelved for the season was specific to the WR position as stated. I didn't comment specifically about punt returns other than to say he muffed one. Punts are a different question to be taken up if he flubs another one.

As for Grant's cost, I said that already in my first post on the matter. To me it's not about who Ryan Grant is as what the move may represent.

If Gutekunst was of a mind to pull the trigger on a name player, why ****** around with Grant? It takes some weeks to get a guy up to speed with the system and the QB. If it was going to be a name player, why not get after it now instead of working Grant into the slot role? The trading deadline is 12 days away.

He could be waiting for a draft pick price drop on a particular target as the deadline pressure approaches. He could be waiting to see how Adams' turf toe is coming along in case he has to pivot from slot to wideout. He may not like the price on any of these guys and will wait to see if somebody is cut, though getting a name player is far less likely under that scenario.

I didn't make a prediction. I didn't say he's not going to swing a deal. I said the odds have diminished.

For some perspective, your current 5-1 Green Bay Packer 53 man roster has a cap cost of something in the vicinity of $161 mil. Even if you excise Graham and Taylor from the 2020 equation, which is a solid bet, the Packers would have 38 players currently under contract for about $173 mil cap cost. If Sanu, for example, were to be acquired in trade, then the numbers go to $179 mil for 39 players and the cap carryover is reduced from something like $9 - $10 mil down to $6 - $7 mil.

While Gutekunst proclaimed that in Green Bay it is always "win now", he never said "at all costs". The odds of a name signing may not be as high as some think in the first place. I liked the idea better before the NFLPA did the mystery dump on the cap space from $16 mil to $10 mil.

So, to repeat, my comments are on the odds, not some black and white prediction.

Last edited by a moderator:

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, I agree with you HRE, especially with what Lazard did v. DET, along with LaFleur's comments regarding his confidence in Shepherd, a WR that I believe will prove himself next time out. The guy is a baller, and both gaffes were COMPLETELY out of character for him.

My thinking is they may deem another position to be one of greater need. WR is still up there, but another may help us more depending on the continued health of this team. For instance, I'm not sure about you, but, an injury to either Bakhtiari or Bulaga would get one hell of a lot of attention from Packers fans everywhere.

Maybe Gutekunst is looking at WR a bit more as a storm we may be able to weather? Maybe LaFleur is too? Especially given this signing of Ryan Grant. Personally, I would like to see adds at BOTH WR and OT before the deadline, if possible. I mean, a feature WR level talent. Tough to say what he is able to pull off, as it takes two to tango.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While this could signal that the Packers won't make a trade for a veteran wide receiver, signing Grant won't stop Gutekunst from taking advantage of pulling the trigger if the right deal is out there.

Adams is out.
Allison is out.

MVS didn't practice yesterday.

Worst case scenario: Kumerow, Lazard, Shep. That's all we got.

We *had* to sign somebody. Seriously, we need a body out there. Now hopefully MVS can play, but we don't have a lot of healthy, or good, WR's out there.

What I'm saying is, Ryan Grant isn't going to keep the Packers from signing or trading for somebody they think can make us better. He's a minimum contract, just a guy. You don't base roster decisions around players like him.

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Adams is out.
Allison is out.

MVS didn't practice yesterday.

Worst case scenario: Kumerow, Lazard, Shep. That's all we got.

We *had* to sign somebody. Seriously, we need a body out there. Now hopefully MVS can play, but we don't have a lot of healthy, or good, WR's out there.

What I'm saying is, Ryan Grant isn't going to keep the Packers from signing or trading for somebody they think can make us better. He's a minimum contract, just a guy. You don't base roster decisions around players like him.
I totally get what you are saying GleefulGary, and I do think they will add another, more highly regarded WR talent at the trade deadline. However, they do still have another week or more before that, and they may want to see what they've got. Add to that, ripples in LaFleur's system where they flex one or both RBs out as receivers... We don't yet know how badly Geronimo was injured, same with MVS, really. It will be interesting to see what they do.

I'd prefer a trade for a top veteran talent there if possible, but they may want to see more of what they've got currently to work with yet, first.

Members online

Latest posts