Ryan Dies

Grave

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Off the field: Packers fan Ryan Luxem dies of leukemia

By Lori Nickel of the Journal Sentinel
Dec. 30, 2010 3:51 p.m. |(24) Comments
It is with great sorrow that I pass along the news that Ryan Luxem died Wednesday of leukemia.
The 11-year-old boy and Packers fan was surprised with a visit from Packers running back Ryan Grant in November. Ryan Luxem was thrilled with this visit and his family enjoyed the respite from their own pain to watch their boy smile at Grant so much.
Ryan, who was rarely without his Packers hat, watched the Packers beat the Giants Sunday and looked for Grant on the sidelines, chest bumping John Kuhn after a touchdown.
Ryan Luxem was at home, surrounded by his family, wearing his Donald Driver jersey, when his difficult, painful and long battle with the disease ended.
I have never had so much feedback from readers as when his story appeared Thanksgiving day. More than 100 people contacted me through twitter or email specifically asking how they could help parents Matt, Amy and the Luxem family financially.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Their friend, Mark Winters, said the family had this suggestion:
“The parents ask that a donation be made to either the MACC Fund or Make-A-Wish Foundation on Ryan's behalf. Ryan cared deeply for these two organizations and spent a lot of his time making origami that was then sold in order to raise money. He tried teaching his parents how to make origami in his final weeks of life, so that they could, in turn, teach his younger brother and sister so they could raise more money for the MACC Fund and Make-A-Wish.
“Ryan wanted to see childhood cancer cured someday and contributed thousands of dollars via his fundraising efforts towards that goal.”
Here are the links to those websites:
MACC Fund. Midwest Athletes Against Childhood Cancer Inc.
John M. Cary, executive director, explained the ongoing mission of the MACC Fund: "I have been fortunate to do this work for nearly 29 years. I learned very quickly that it never should happen to a child and a family yet still, far too often, it does despite impressive cure rate increases. Unlike most things, it doesn't get easier with time. As a distinguished member of our Scientific Advisory Board told me recently, 'We do research to honor those we have lost.' The MACC Fund will continue to do research to help the other Ryans."
Make-A-Wish Foundation national.
Make-A-Wish Foundation of Wisconsin.
One final note: The family is making final arrangements for Ryan and those will not be publicized here, out of respect for their privacy. Thanks for understanding. Lori

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ugh, what a sad story. At least Ryan is in a better place now. My thoughts and condolences definitely go out to his family.

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
Bummer. Was praying for that kid to make it.

Maybe the Packers will dedicate the Win over the Bears to him.

98Redbird

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I remember reading the story of Grant visiting with Ryan a few months back. Tugged at me emotionally then. Read this story of his passing today and felt like I got kicked in the stomach.

Prayers to the Luxem family.

Packman Chant

Lambeau West
Reaction score
Yeah, could tell he was a good kid and was being strong. Bless his family. Grant did a really good thing bringing someones dreams to reality before they pass on. Hes in a good place and wont have to be sick anymore. Always sad to hear things like this but as before Bless him and his family.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's in a place where he would never leave, given a choice. God bless him.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
Not fair. Not fair at all.

Make-A-Wish helped my neighbors afford a trip to Disney World before their 11 year old daughter was taken by leukemia a few years ago. I highly recommend donating to this organization, if you can.

OldSchoolFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My heart goes out to his family...

"In that moment when someone whispers"he is gone",a whole group is yelling "here he comes!!!"

We can be assured that loved ones were there to greet him, and Vince will be sure to show him how REAL football is played.

How about an afternoon of backyard football with Lombardi,Hudson,Nitschke,Reggie and all of the other great Packers that have passed?

Rest easy Ryan.....

L

Lunchboxer

I hate sad stories like these gets me down.

My condolences to the family.

Atleast Ryan was able to see the last packer game before he died.

So Sad :(

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
Heartfelt regrets to the family. Hoping you can find some comfort in our wishes.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts