Ryan Clark: NFL 'Ruined' by Crackdown on Helmet-to-Helmet Hits

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ryan Clark: NFL 'Ruined' by Crackdown on Helmet-to-Helmet Hits

By Chris Burke NFL Editor | Follow on Twitter: @nflfanhouse

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
Kurt Coleman's hit on Austin Collie, a play that left Collie laid out motionless for several minutes on the Lincoln Financial Field, incited plenty of discussion in its wake.

In a near-unanimous chorus, NFL analysts criticized the 15-yard unnecessary roughness penalty Coleman was flagged for and pleaded with NFL commissioner Roger Goodell to not punish Coleman, despite Collie's injury -- the Indianapolis receiver suffered a concussion on the play and had to be taken off the field on a stretcher.

Steelers defensive back Ryan Clark also weighed in on the controversy via Twitter, arguing that the rules recently enacted by the NFL to protect its offensive players had gone too far.

"We can't flag people because a hit is hard. May God bless Austin Collie but that hit was not illegal. The game is ruined!" Clark (@RyanClark25) tweeted.

"Special thanks to all the media. The little league world series in now more physical than professional football. You've been heard!"

This isn't the first time Clark's been vocal about the NFL's policy on helmet-to-helmet hits. Following a brutal Week 6 that saw several players leave games with head injuries, the NFL adjusted its rules to allow for suspensions on particularly dangerous hits. Clark responded, again on Twitter:

"So the NFL wants to suspend players for helmet to helmet due to injuries, yet the NFL wants 2 more games. Make sense?"

It remains to be seen if Goodell issues any fine or suspension to Coleman, but Clark -- somewhat ironically -- could face disciplinary action himself for coming to Coleman's defense. And while Coleman may sidestep a punishment, Packers defensive back Nick Collins likely won't be so lucky. Collins was hit with a 15-yard penalty in Green Bay's Sunday night win over Dallas when he launched himself into a helmet-to-helmet hit on Cowboys receiver Roy Williams, who had to be helped off the field after lying face down for a moment.

Chop0Suey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"Collins was hit with a 15-yard penalty in Green Bay's Sunday night win over Dallas when he LAUNCHED himself into a helmet-to-helmet hit on Cowboys receiver Roy Williams, who had to be helped off the field after lying face down for a moment."

You've got to be kidding me. James Harrison launches. Brandon Meriweather launched into Heap's helmet. Collins dropped his shoulder, lowered his head, and tried to lay the BOOM! Unfortunately, Williams head fell back into Collins, and an ugly helmet-to-helmet resulted.

These helmet to helmet fines and suspension talks are getting out of hand. They're not ruining the league, like greedy players and owners, or an 18 game schedule, or the massive number of injuries/small roster sizes. But damn...it's definitely getting there.

Veretax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I disagree, Coleman dropped his shoulder when he went after Austin Collie. To me that's an illegal blow to the head no matter how you describe it. I don't think it was dirty, or intentional though. So I wouldn't fine the guy for it. That's me though.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts