Russell Wilson putting the screws in.....

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Nice! Go get the big deal Russell!

Ian Rapoport‏Verified account @RapSheet
Ian Rapoport Retweeted The Seattle Times

Russell Wilson has made clear to the #Seahawks he wants a deal by April 15. An early deadline, but also a chance to handle business before the offseason program begins.

Basically, it sounds like Russell has said that if a new contract isn't done by 4/15, all negotiations for a new one are done. He will continue as is and then at the end of next season, if he isn't franchise tagged, will hit Free Agency.

Word is he is seeking $35M/year. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lame threat.

His only potential landing spots would be the Giants (who look to have not moved away from Eli's mediocrity) or Redskins (who also look to not move away from Alex Smith's injury record).

Might be a good fit at Broncos but then Elway is so stuck up his own *** with the Flacco purchase and won't budge this soon.

Seahawks have the upper hand and may not even tag him seeing at this market. He's eventually bound to return on a decent contract. Perhaps a short term one.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Hard to tell what the market will be like next year. Injuries, QB's under performing, etc. could totally change things for Wilson and the Seahawks. From what I have observed over the last few years, if you are a top QB and your contract is up, someone is going to pay you near top dollar. So I am not sure the Seahawks are really that much in the driver seat here. Their biggest decision will be "do we want to devote that much to the position or go another route?"

Having a Top 10 QB is both a blessing and a curse to NFL teams, unless they are on a rookie deal.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Nice! Go get the big deal Russell!

Ian Rapoport‏Verified account @RapSheet
Ian Rapoport Retweeted The Seattle Times

Russell Wilson has made clear to the #Seahawks he wants a deal by April 15. An early deadline, but also a chance to handle business before the offseason program begins.

Basically, it sounds like Russell has said that if a new contract isn't done by 4/15, all negotiations for a new one are done. He will continue as is and then at the end of next season, if he isn't franchise tagged, will hit Free Agency.
% of
Word is he is seeking $35M/year. :rolleyes:
What he should be seeking is a percentage of the cap. (Even better, a percentage of the Seahawks adjusted cap) That way his pay goes up with the cap. Say 17% of the cap.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
What he should be seeking is a percentage of the cap. (Even better, a percentage of the Seahawks adjusted cap) That way his pay goes up with the cap. Say 17% of the cap.

I am going to hate the pay structure in the NFL even more if players start getting that type of guarantee in their deals. I know I am pretty much in the minority with my thinking, but I would love it if these guys were only paid what they actually earned, not paid for projected value based on past performance. Sadly, I know that will probably never happen in the NFL.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Let me say this about QB's. Since 2006, 154 QB's have been drafted into the NFL. You know how many of them have won a Super Bowl? 3. Russel Wilson, Nick Foles, and Joe Flacco. 3 more made it and lost. Ryan, Newton, and Goff. Not one QB drafted in the first round since 2006 has won a Super Bowl.

So, get rid of Wilson and draft someone in the first round. Sounds like a plan for failure at this point.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Let me say this about QB's. Since 2006, 154 QB's have been drafted into the NFL. You know how many of them have won a Super Bowl? 3. Russel Wilson, Nick Foles, and Joe Flacco. 3 more made it and lost. Ryan, Newton, and Goff. Not one QB drafted in the first round since 2006 has won a Super Bowl.

So, get rid of Wilson and draft someone in the first round. Sounds like a plan for failure at this point.

Very confusing post to be honest. Maybe I am missing your point? Super Bowl winning QB's since 2006 have been 1st , 2nd, 3rd, 6th rounders.....and I probably missed a QB or round there.

Stanger37

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What annoys me the most about this story is that Colin brought it up about 2 months ago and everyone said he was insane.

Now it is looking like he may be on to something so he will just tell people to always listen to him and he knows everything.

D

Deleted member 6794

According to sources the Seahawks and Wilson agreed to a 4-year, $140 million extension resulting in Rodgers not being the highest paid player in the league anymore.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Shameful on those complaining about AR12s contract. No way Wilson is worth more. Big contracts are just par for the course and nothing special.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Shameful on those complaining about AR12s contract. No way Wilson is worth more. Big contracts are just par for the course and nothing special.
Agreed. While I am happy for Russell, who seems like an all around great guy, I'm shaking my head at $35M now being the new benchmark for a quality QB and the butterfly effect that will eventually have on every other position.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed. While I am happy for Russell, who seems like an all around great guy, I'm shaking my head at $35M now being the new benchmark for a quality QB and the butterfly effect that will eventually have on every other position.

I'd have expected the market to benchmark AR12s contract and pay less for their own QBs, but this is mind boggling.

Hope we don't have to re-negotiate with AR12 two years down the line :confused:

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'd have expected the market to benchmark AR12s contract and pay less for their own QBs, but this is mind boggling.

May have been part of the thinking behind signing Rodgers when they did, knowing that the longer they waited, the greater potential for his demands to rise. Would be interesting to know, had that contract not have happened, what his demands would be after Russell's contract and what the Packers would be willing to do, given what has transpired since that contract was signed.

D

Deleted member 6794

It's possible the Packers will approach Rodgers about restructuring his contract as early as after the 2019 season. It will be interesting to see if #12 is willing to agree to create additional cap space for the team.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Wilson earned that money. He has been the shining star on an under performing team offensively that is still trying to maintain its defensive identity. Wilson is also only 30 years old and has 2 Super Bowl appearances to his belt. If Schneider/Carroll can keep the roster afloat and the animal that is the 12th Man stays alive at CenturyLink, he'll probably get 1 more ring before he retires. The question isn't wholly not so much how much Wilson is talent wise anymore. The question is also how much are the integral pieces to a Super Bowl ring worth? I guarantee if Wilson hit the open market, a major market team like the Giants probably would have paid $37M-$40M for 6 years to snatch him off the market. Hell, Jerry would've probably traded Prescott for peanuts and had a reborn America's Team with Zeke and Cooper there now.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I think Wilson earned that money. He has been the shining star on an under performing team offensively that is still trying to maintain its defensive identity. Wilson is also only 30 years old and has 2 Super Bowl appearances to his belt. If Schneider/Carroll can keep the roster afloat and the animal that is the 12th Man stays alive at CenturyLink, he'll probably get 1 more ring before he retires. The question isn't wholly not so much how much Wilson is talent wise anymore. The question is also how much are the integral pieces to a Super Bowl ring worth? I guarantee if Wilson hit the open market, a major market team like the Giants probably would have paid $37M-$40M for 6 years to snatch him off the market. Hell, Jerry would've probably traded Prescott for peanuts and had a reborn America's Team with Zeke and Cooper there now.

Well based on Russell's pay alone, if the Seahawks only get him one more ring, for those Seahawk fans that feel the same way as some Packer fans do in regards to Rodgers, that will be a major disappointment. ;)

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm a realist.

I mean I'd love it if Rodgers could retire with 4 Rings before it's all said and done but I feel we wasted much of his prime, much like we wasted Favre's. I think if Gute can remain in power for the next 7-10 years this may finally be the lesson the Packers needed to learn, especially if the next guy isn't anywhere near as talented. I say maybe one or two more rings before a "somewhat competitive" drought.

With Wilson's combined athletic ability, it's hard to justify really how much Rodgers separates himself from him talent-wise. But I feel the same for him in Seattle, except for the fact that Seattle HAS been trying to make sure that he's able to get back to the Big Show. If they can figure it out, I say one more ring. Wilson loves football, but he's also a young father, I see him walking away from the game with no regrets when he feels he wants to do that full-time.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
No doubt I would have loved to have seen more Super Bowls in both Favre and Rodgers time, but I am also very happy with the ride both QB's have taken the Packers and their fans on over the last 20+ years. Maybe I am setting the bar too low by saying "I am happy with a very successful run of winning seasons, a lot of playoff games and 2 Super Bowl wins" during that period of time. If you compare what they have done to the Patriots, I would agree with the fans that are disappointed, but if you compare it to the rest of the league and I believe the norm, I feel pretty fortunate to be a Packer fan during the past few decades.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Seahawks won't be able to surround Wilson with equal talent as during the time they went to Super Bowls as he was still on his rookie deal at that point.

No doubt I would have loved to have seen more Super Bowls in both Favre and Rodgers time, but I am also very happy with the ride both QB's have taken the Packers and their fans on over the last 20+ years. Maybe I am setting the bar too low by saying "I am happy with a very successful run of winning seasons, a lot of playoff games and 2 Super Bowl wins" during that period of time. If you compare what they have done to the Patriots, I would agree with the fans that are disappointed, but if you compare it to the rest of the league and I believe the norm, I feel pretty fortunate to be a Packer fan during the past few decades.

There's absolutely no doubt that it's extremely difficult to win a Super Bowl but I would definitely consider the Packers winning only one championship while having the most efficient quarterback in league history before Rodgers retires a disappointed.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lame threat.

His only potential landing spots would be the Giants (who look to have not moved away from Eli's mediocrity) or Redskins (who also look to not move away from Alex Smith's injury record).

Might be a good fit at Broncos but then Elway is so stuck up his own *** with the Flacco purchase and won't budge this soon.

Seahawks have the upper hand and may not even tag him seeing at this market. He's eventually bound to return on a decent contract. Perhaps a short term one.

The Ravens would take him. Lamar Jackson sucks big time.

Members online

Latest posts