Runningback Situation

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Lacy will still be in a time share with Starks. Still have to give Cobb and Montgomery a few carries. Have to remember we have 2 starter caliber TEs now too. Thats before we have to choose from 7 WRs... Lacy might not get the chance to have a career year...

But I bet we still give him 8 a year... He is a beast. And its payday...

I'm told unless the nflpa and his agent agree to new incentives built in the contract for this year don't expect him. Back.

This came from same source that told me eddy had drinking issue that no one here believed until it was in the news

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lacy will still be in a time share with Starks. Still have to give Cobb and Montgomery a few carries. Have to remember we have 2 starter caliber TEs now too. Thats before we have to choose from 7 WRs... Lacy might not get the chance to have a career year...

But I bet we still give him 8 a year... He is a beast. And its payday...

I would be very surprised if either Cobb or Montgomery have 10 carries all season. Heck won't be surprised if they don't get 10 between them. As much as fans would like to see it and no matter how much sense it makes to us I just don't see McCarthy going that route much. Now I could see them lining up in the backfield and going in motion but as far as actual handoffs I just don't see it.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm told unless the nflpa and his agent agree to new incentives built in the contract for this year don't expect him. Back.

This came from same source that told me eddy had drinking issue that no one here believed until it was in the news

What drinking issue? An adult who drink...Is that an issue? I read one instance where he and another player stayed out late but that's as much as I ever heard.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
D

Deleted member 6794

Thats to be expected of a player entering his 2nd year. They must be happy with how he's coming along though. They haven't brought in Kuhn so thats a positive sign they think Rip knows enough of the offense. He should be a great extra blocker for Rodgers when he isn't run blocking. Plus he has good hands and can catch tough balls. Pure excitement to see Rip this Sunday.

Ripkowski won't get a ton of playing time (the team used a fullback on less than 30% of the offensive snaps in 2015) and I don't expect the Packers to use hin as an extra blocker on passing plays at all. I'm not sure there's enough tale to suggest that he has great hands as he only had eight receptions during his college career.

I would be very surprised if either Cobb or Montgomery have 10 carries all season. Heck won't be surprised if they don't get 10 between them. As much as fans would like to see it and no matter how much sense it makes to us I just don't see McCarthy going that route much. Now I could see them lining up in the backfield and going in motion but as far as actual handoffs I just don't see it.

The Packers will for sure not be centered around running the ball with either Cobb or Montgomery but I expect them to get more than 10 combined rushing attempts this season.

OP
OP
A

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ripkowski won't get a ton of playing time (the team used a fullback on less than 30% of the offensive snaps in 2015) and I don't expect the Packers to use hin as an extra blocker on passing plays at all. I'm not sure there's enough tale to suggest that he has great hands as he only had eight receptions during his college career.

The Packers will for sure not be centered around running the ball with either Cobb or Montgomery but I expect them to get more than 10 combined rushing attempts this season.
I didnt say great hands. I said good hands able to make tough catches

D

Deleted member 6794

Well, it doesn't change the fact that eight receptions during his college career is a way too small sample size to make an educated guess about the quality of his hands and ability to make tough catches.

OP
OP
A

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, it doesn't change the fact that eight receptions during his college career is a way too small sample size to make an educated guess about the quality of his hands and ability to make tough catches.
Not sure if you watched any Oklahoma games but I remember watching Rip catch passes so even if it was only 8 he caught some off target balls. Maybe you can find some on Youtube.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Please differentiate. I don't think one can have great hands without making the tough catches. Also don't think one is relegated to good hands when making the tough catches.

OP
OP
A

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I meant he has made catches that were below his waste or over his head that shows he has the ability to bend well for a fire hydrant built fullback. Ive seen Fullbacks drop balls that were in their numbers. Didnt mean to stir anyone up by saying he has shown good hands in college games I watched him play at Oklahoma!

D

Deleted member 6794

Not sure if you watched any Oklahoma games but I remember watching Rip catch passes so even if it was only 8 he caught some off target balls. Maybe you can find some on Youtube.

This video contains four of Ripkowski's repections in college. While the first catch is pretty impressive the others hit him right in the numbers. As a side note if he pulls the BS he did after the catch vs. Oklahoma State in the NFL that would for sure result in a fumble and him being benched for an eternity.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

OP
OP
A

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This video contains four of Ripkowski's repections in college. While the first catch is pretty impressive the others hit him right in the numbers. As a side note if he pulls the BS he did after the catch vs. Oklahoma State in the NFL that would for sure result in a fumble and him being benched for an eternity.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
I can see your a glass half empty type of guy huh.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I would consider myself capable of taking a realistic look at the potential of players on the Packers roster and not let wishful thinking tarnish my evaluation.
Just don't call yourself a realist. Historically on this board "realists" use that term to cover for trying to troll. You are not near there and I believe you're realistic enough to not go there.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Please Ive read your replies just like you dont know about him, you dont know about anything else either! I hate people who try and argue on the web. Yoy guys realize your like retards running in the special Olympics. Even if you win your still an ugly retard.

I believe "Half Empty" was joking due to his moniker. Let's keep things civil.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I think a more positive outlook would be that a good year this year will get him a top tier rb contract. 6-8 a year i bet. With a fat signing bonus check... Boom. Incentive...

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I think a more positive outlook would be that a good year this year will get him a top tier rb contract. 6-8 a year i bet. With a fat signing bonus check... Boom. Incentive...
Not from what I am told..

Word is he is done here... They don't think he can change his drinking and work habits.. They don't have the door closed all the way on negotiations for next year.. But it's not something they will pursue like they have with others

D

Deleted member 6794

An incentive-laden contract is primarily based on performance. Handing Lacy a huge signing bonus would be doing exactly the opposite and something the Packers shouldn't even think about for a moment.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
An incentive-laden contract is primarily based on performance. Handing Lacy a huge signing bonus would be doing exactly the opposite and something the Packers shouldn't even think about for a moment.
Huge signing bonuses are not in Thompson's MO. I don't think we'll see that happen with Lacy or any other running back. Of course, "huge" is in the eyes of the beholder. Generally speaking, I consider bonuses in the > 40% of the amount of contract to be huge. Thompson generally keeps them to around 25% for guys he wants to keep in Green Bay. Only the big stars get more. Team friendly always or away you go.

D

Deleted member 6794

Huge signing bonuses are not in Thompson's MO. I don't think we'll see that happen with Lacy or any other running back. Of course, "huge" is in the eyes of the beholder. Generally speaking, I consider bonuses in the > 40% of the amount of contract to be huge. Thompson generally keeps them to around 25% for guys he wants to keep in Green Bay. Only the big stars get more. Team friendly always or away you go.

There's no way the Packers should offer Lacy close to 25% of a long-term contract averaging $6-8 million as a signing bonus. Once again, the team should be extremely reluctant to offer him any significant guaranteed money.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
There's no way the Packers should offer Lacy close to 25% of a long-term contract averaging $6-8 million as a signing bonus. Once again, the team should be extremely reluctant to offer him any significant guaranteed money.
Yes, I agree that any contract extension for Lacy would be short in bonus and long in incentives. We've seen that happen before too.

I'm always pleasantly surprised to see what some of the teams award in bonus money to less than All-Pro ability. The best part is that it continues to happen every year.

OP
OP
A

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Lacy shows he can stay disciplined and keep his weight under 235...He will definitely see a frenzy from other teams throwing Monster #s his way. Personally if Lacy puts up career numbers and stays healthy this season, I'd like to see him rewarded with a healthy contract. But no more than 7mil per year. The risk factor is too great.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts