Running Game

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
I watched the game again last night and it got me thinking that we could have ran the ball if we needed to. We just went away from it. So I thought, lets see what everyone thinks.

PS... I think the Favre quote is hogwash.. :thumbsup:

Here is the results of the JSonline poll the other day..

Are you worried about the Packers' lack of an effective running game?

Yes (80.4%)

No (19.6%)

Total votes: 1,324 Poll

Here is a little blurb from PFWeekly's audibles... other NFL personnel quotes...

“Green Bay’s defense is for real. The biggest mistake Jacksonville made was cutting Byron Leftwich after he struggled against the Packers in the preseason. They thought Green Bay was a joke. They are not.”

“The Packers don’t have a starting running back. Brett Favre will eventually return to his old ways. He’ll start giving the ball away.”

audibles

DoddPower

Nick Perry is watching you, NFL QB's!
Reaction score
I am definitely worried about the running game, and so should everyone else. However, I do believe that the running game will continue to develop week to week and will eventually be decent enough, especially with the development of Morency, and probably more so Grant. Thompson seemed to be real high on him, and as far as talent goes, he's pretty much earned my trust, especially if he's willing to give away draft picks.

As long as we stay fairly injury free don't give the ball away much, our passing game and good defense, mixed with a mediocre running game should yield good results.

jnells

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still haven't gotten an opportunity to see Grant run...
I'm still very excited about DeShawn Wynn. I think he should be getting more carries!

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
running game freak out thread number 2284.

just messing with ya pack. i agree with you that if you watch the game... we were averaging over 4 yards a carry... and seemed to get what we needed on the ground.

this is my stance: until the opposing team stops our passing game, therefore making it necessary to run the ball, i will not get worried. IF we come up to that situation and its proven that we cant run (vikings wont be a fair test because they stop everybody from running) Then i will be worried.

i know that a consistent and healthy run game has been key for the contending teams in the NFL for the past few years. however that doesnt make it gospel. you do whatever it is that wins you ball games. If that entails throwing the ball 1000 times a game and only runnning once, then by god im ok with it.

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No im not worried but I dont like your no option but I picked it anyways. Once Morency gets back we have the same o-line and the same RB who averaged 4.6 yards a carry last year, not only that but the packers always start slow only this time it hasnt been the entire team. Once Morency gets back we will be fine

and overall im pretty tired of hearing about this over and over

OP
OP
Pack93z

Pack93z

Reaction score
I dont agree with the polling options.

****** and a turd.

Why thanks Trom... don't agree then don't post.. pretty simple I thought...

You name call... never happens..

OP
OP
Pack93z

Pack93z

Reaction score
pack_in_black said:
It's a South Park reference. Nothing to do with you personally, pack93. Trom was talking about the voting options.

Guess I have never seen that show... carry on... thanks though.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:
It's a South Park reference. Nothing to do with you personally, pack93. Trom was talking about the voting options.

Guess I have never seen that show... carry on... thanks though.

school mascot poll..

****** or a turd..

4got which one won

olddavid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wynn is the one. How long will it take for this to be evident enough to give him the ball 20+ times? After Morency, Jackson and Noah are gone? I seem to remember someone named Dorsey Levens who was in this bout in his early career. Time will tell :pop:

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
So they put Brett Favre back in a shotgun against the Chargers and said keep it short and keep it sweet and he spent the afternoon flanging it around every which way. Now doesn't this make a lot more sense than wasting time handing the ball off to mediocre runners? Got to set up the play action, I'm hearing. Play action? In the gun? Come on now. Got to tire them out with running plays, I'm hearing. You don't think spending an afternoon trying to rush a guy who's getting the ball out quickly, on rhythm, is tiring? Try it some time. So the Pack came up with the lopsided stats of 45 passes vs. 13 runs, two of which were a Favre scramble and a kneel, which makes it 11 legitimate rushes. And I e-mailed a very fine person named Nick Stamm of Stats, Inc., to find out if a team ever won a game calling fewer running plays. Yes. Two years ago, in one of those last-game-of-the-season, we're resting the varsity, type of encounters, Indy beat Arizona on 10 runs, four of which belonged to QB Jim Sorgi. The variety of Sorgi runs was not indicated. But it means a maximum of 10, a minimum of six.

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think #4 will continue to pass 40 times a game. I like wynn as the RB, but i really like what i see out of Brandon Jackson as a receiver out of the back field.

the west coast offense seems to be working, i do not think MM will change a game plan that has worked so far. Packers continue to pass first and run later untill it fails.

The perfect scenerio would be to go up two or three scores utilizing the west coast offense in the first three quarters, and then rely on defense and running in the 4th quarter.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think #4 will continue to pass 40 times a game. I like wynn as the RB, but i really like what i see out of Brandon Jackson as a receiver out of the back field.

the west coast offense seems to be working, i do not think MM will change a game plan that has worked so far. Packers continue to pass first and run later untill it fails.

The perfect scenerio would be to go up two or three scores utilizing the west coast offense in the first three quarters, and then rely on defense and running in the 4th quarter.

100% agreed.
If it works, don't fix it.

TexasPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We need to develop some sort of running game. Favre throwing TDs is always fun but we can't always throw the ball. We need a running game to make it easier on Favre and our receivers. Once we can do that I think people will start taking us more seriously.

I like what MM is doing. He's waiting for someone to step up and become the back. With Jackson out this is the perfect time to see if anyone can step up.

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Yeah, that feels friggen great but the lack of running game is a serious concern.

MM had been great so far in my opinion but if the running game is not attended to; we can only go so far ( Brett can't be expected to throw for over 100 % passer rating every game this season, it's just that simple ) !!!

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
who says we need a running game... you people act like its in the NFL bylaws or something.

who says were really trying hard to run. i have a feeling that if we want to run... we will run. so far we havent needed to run the ball.

were freakin 4-0 ... i dont care if we run the ball again this year. if the record stays undefeated.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:

Yeah, that feels friggen great but the lack of running game is a serious concern.

MM had been great so far in my opinion but if the running game is not attended to; we can only go so far ( Brett can't be expected to throw for over 100 % passer rating every game this season, it's just that simple ) !!!

4-0

matteogb4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
could someone explain why our OL is very good in protecting brett but it can't open hole for our RBs??

or the problem is that our RBs is not so good

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Run defense is one of the things that MN thrives at, they've been top 5 I think in that category for a few years. We've won 4 games now against teams of completely different makeup. All without the ever-precious rungame.

kewlbeans

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:

MM had been great so far in my opinion but if the running game is not attended to; we can only go so far

At this point in the season how do you suggest we attend to the running game. ? It looks to me that it is mainly a personnel problem (both blocking and RB's) But the team you've seen on the field so far is the team you're going to see from here on out.

I hate be redundant but 4-0 !!!!

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This poll is rridiculous.

WHAT running game?

Packers played 4 teams with relatively tough running defense. IF and when they play a relatively poor one, they will gain more confidence in their run blocking and start running better.

For now, they don't HAVE a running game.

Members online

Latest posts