Running Backs Decline

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
I was watching ESPN Classic today. They had a list of the all time busts. Mandarich was 2nd. Leaf 1st. Then they played a special segment on Emmit Smiths career. They were pretty good segments.

Then. Barry Sanders. I ran my *** off to set up my PocketDISH so I could record it. They talked about how great of a runner he was. How he held out three times then gave lots of his money away. Then they spoke about how he was at the top of his game and left. He was 31 when he retired. At the top of his game. Coaches, Players, Analysts and even fans agree he was at the top of his game. 31 and at the top. Under 1,600 yards from being the all time leading NFL rusher in yards. Just walked away.

Which brings me to Ahman Green who is 29 years old. The same age Barry Sanders was when he rushed for 2,053 yards.

By NO MEANS am I saying or putting Ahman Green in the same category as Barry Sanders.

Just moderately amused at how people say Ahman Green is on the down slope of his career and two years older they said Barry Sanders was at the top of his game.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't remember Sanders being hurt like Green. Plus Sanders had a knack of avoiding the big hits. I think that kept him more healthy. Sanders is a one of a kind back. I've yet to see anyone come close to what he could do on his own.
I would LOVE to see Green regain his 1800 yard ability. I just don't know if he still has it to do that. Guess we will see.

subin

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the reason why people say Ahman is on the downslope is that his numbers prove it. Before he got injured last year, he went a while without a 100 yard rushing game (forgot the exact length), plus I believe his YPC were down a significant amount. Though the fact that he had no offensive line may have contributed to this, I just can't see him being back in full force, especially after such a serious injury.

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
cheesey said:
I don't remember Sanders being hurt like Green. Plus Sanders had a knack of avoiding the big hits. I think that kept him more healthy. Sanders is a one of a kind back. I've yet to see anyone come close to what he could do on his own.
I would LOVE to see Green regain his 1800 yard ability. I just don't know if he still has it to do that. Guess we will see.

I specifically said I was not comparing the two. There is none. Barry was THE BEST. I'll go into a tirade til the end of the internet if you wanna battle it out! :)

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cheesy is right. Ahman Green is much more in the mold of Terrrell Davis than Barry Sanders, and we all know what happened to Terrrell Davis around that age. I hope it doesn't end up that way with Ahman, but it sure looks like it might. He takes a lot of punishment for a guy who is not very big and who depends on speed, which requires him to be near the top of his form to be effective.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
cheesey said:

I specifically said I was not comparing the two. There is none. Barry was THE BEST. I'll go into a tirade til the end of the internet if you wanna battle it out! :)
CALM DOWN ZERO!!! I was AGREEING with you!!! (GEEZ!) :roll: :shock: :lol:

jdlax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, definitely seems like the way to go(elusive, quick) as a HB if you want to play a little longer than the norm. Green smashing into people the way he's done isn't going to help add any years onto the end of his career.

recte44

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Quick, name another running back who has ever come back productively from the same injury Green has suffered. :)

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
recte44 said:
Quick, name another running back who has ever come back productively from the same injury Green has suffered. :)

**** **** **** ... umm

recte i hate u ... but i wont cheat an use the net

damn man ... i hate u ... lol jk

i dunno

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What I want to see from green is his 1000+ ability back, thats not asking a lot but I'd also rather see him run for 1400+

recte44

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nah, you're loving it. BTW, the quick and easy answer is that there hasn't been one. Most of the folks who have suffered that injury are linemen. For example, Santana Dotson and Steve Warren did so, and never returned.

Cdnfavrefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The best back returning from injury was that year Garrison Hearst put up when he was comeback player of the year but that one year was about all he did after returning

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Cdnfavrefan said:
The best back returning from injury was that year Garrison Hearst put up when he was comeback player of the year but that one year was about all he did after returning

HA I knew there was someone!!

He gained over 1,200 yards the following season.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm hoping Green makes a comeback.

Going back to Sanders, I was so happy when we drafted Mandarich. Wow, couldn't be more wrong. Imagine how history would have been changed if we drafted Sanders instead of Mandarich. If I'm not mistaken, Mandarich was pick #2 and Sanders was #6.

recte44

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey, I did a little research. Hearst's was an ankle injury. Green's injury of the quad tearing from the bone is a bit different. Still the only injury of his kind in a running back that I can find or remember.

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Gee, ya think? Hearst nearly lost his career two years ago, suffering a broken ankle injury in a 1998 game. While recovering, Hearst developed avascular necrosis, which is a degenerative condition in a bone caused by lack of blood flow to the affected area, in this case, Hearst's ankle.

Most people who suffer injuries like this just hope to walk again, but not Hearst. Instead, he sprinted again, putting together a 1,206-yard campaign, fifth in the NFC, and will head to Hawaii to participate in the 2002 Pro Bowl. In addition, Hearst has become an incredibly effective weapon in the 49ers offense. With other Pro Bowlers Jeff Garcia and Terrell Owens on board, Hearst can take advantage of defenses not too keen on his presence, and can draw defenders away when Garcia wants to throw deep.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
recte44 said:

Not a fair question. I doubt that many people can name a running back who has ever HAD this injury. I can't. Can you? I do think the odds are against Ahman, though. We had a couple of DT's whose careers were ended by that same injury. Steve Warren was one of them. I forget the other.

Members online

Latest posts