Running Back

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
While Grant was good there's talk of Michael Bush. He could be that bruiser but he's 27 & wants a long term deal but he's got 3 years of "shelf life" for a RB left. If we don't get a FA then by the 4th round we need a RB. We need to draft the best RB that's available at that time. We've got the Best WR core in the NFL now we need to work on our D & RBs. Lynch is a FA but will likely be tagged.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
I hope we don't draft or spend cap dollars on a RB. Focus every single dollar on resigning our key FAs and finding talent to help our defense. Every. Single. Dollar.

Unless there is a O-line stud available... Then, ok to spend a little on offense. But, not RB.

GWheels

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No team is even slightly worried about our run game. We need a stud back to open up the play action pass and to keep defenses on their toes. I miss Ahman Green.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
OLB, DE, S, CB, OG/OC, OT, and TE (if Finley leaves). Those are the positions I have rated as bigger needs than RB. I hope Thompson doesn't spend more than a 4th or 5th rounder on one. Here's why:

1. The Packers are a passing offense. One of the major innovations of the WCO was using the short passing game to replace rushes. McCarthy's offense takes that one step further by relying upon the short to intermediate passing game to replace rushes. And the team has the talent to do it.

2. I disagree with the notion that if the passing game is not in sync, as was the case in the playoff game, a RB can carry the offense to victory. IMO because the Packers offense is built on the passing game and if that's not working, defenses can load up vs. the run and no team can be dominant both passing and running the ball.

3. The Packers have Starks, Green, and Saine. If Starks can stay healthy we know he's good enough to win a title with. Green showed potential but of course has to get and then stay healthy. I liked what I saw of Saine. He obviously needs experience. And if they feel they're shaky at RB, they can bring Grant back relatively cheap. IMO they already have three options on the roster who could be the answer at RB.

4. The OL was/is built with an emphasis on pass blocking.

5. A salient argument can be made that for a passing team, it's the number of rushes that matters most to keep defenses honest. And I believe McCarthy is near the league average in pass/rush ratio, although he throws the ball slightly more than the average.

6. In 2011 the Packers led the league in scoring without the RB some are advocating they acquire. They averaged 35 ppg. IMO spending valuable resources on a RB could only improve that marginally.

The trend in NFL rule changes has made the passing game more and more important so I'm glad McCarthy's offense emphasizes it as does Thompson's talent acquisition. IMO some of the insistence on signing a UFA RB or drafting a RB high is based upon the failure of the Packers passing game in their last game. IMO to win a title the Packers passing game can't have an off day in the playoffs as it did vs. the Giants. IMO there's no "fix" for that. If the strength of any team fails in the playoffs they are likely to lose. If the Packers passing game is in sync, the running game just has to be good enough to keep defenses off balance. The way James Starks played at the end of the 2010 is plenty good enough IMO. I think the biggest challenge for the RBs in 2012 is to find one who can block blitzing LBs and DBs and I think that player is already on the roster. And have I mentioned the defense is crying out for more talent?! IMO the Packers shouldn't spend valuable resources improving the running game because no matter who they acquire, they will still be a passing offense. And with Rodgers and his targets, I'm happy they are.

shield4life

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You don't need a elite RB to win the SB, we've proved that once. All tho, it does help you win a lot of games. I disagree that we need to spend a lot of $$$ to sign one, I rather spend my $$$ on the o-line therefore running the ball would be easier for any HB and would even benefit the pass game at the same time.

Rocky11

Superbowl bound Pack
Reaction score
I have to agree with Thx. The money really does need to be spent on our weak areas. Defense is huge IMO. Linebacker, pass rush. We are so volnerable across the middle on third down.The offensive line can use some steadying up also. A running back like Bush could help but like Thx said, our RB's probably are adequate. It is fun thinking about it.

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Bush is cheap, Sure, I wouldn't have a problem with him, Him and Starks would be great together. I wouldn't spend more than 2-3 mill/year for him though.

Rocky11

Superbowl bound Pack
Reaction score
I was never really all that impressed with Starks. He did good in the playoffs last year but this year I was not impressed. I know a lot of people like him but I don't. He is too dodgy for my liking. I like north/south runners. Ryan Grant may run to the outside but when he finds a hole he does his best to run straight through it. He is not the greatest either but his running style suit me. Someone like Bush would be welcome if the price is right.

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was never really all that impressed with Starks. He did good in the playoffs last year but this year I was not impressed. I know a lot of people like him but I don't. He is too dodgy for my liking. I like north/south runners. Ryan Grant may run to the outside but when he finds a hole he does his best to run straight through it. He is not the greatest either but his running style suit me. Someone like Bush would be welcome if the price is right.

dodgy? Starks is a north/south runner, He's always getting 2-5 yards after first contact. Hits the hole hard. Grant rarely does, he might get 1-3 yards after contact. Grant got some decent yards and some big runs, but isn't consistent

Rocky11

Superbowl bound Pack
Reaction score
No Grant is not consistent but I still think Starks wastes time making too many moves before he takes off. Just an observation. I think he would better yardage if he juked a ltttle less.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
All is mute. With the Cap room, Grant is gone, Starks is the future. Green and Saine and I am sure we will be picking up another RB in the Draft, will be the other backs unless he finds a gem in UDFA. I would be shocked if Ted spends a FA on a back.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No team is even slightly worried about our run game. We need a stud back to open up the play action pass and to keep defenses on their toes. I miss Ahman Green.

Yup, just like how we screwed up by not trading our whole draft for Marshawn Lynch last year...

Oh wait...

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
wasn't it just a 4th rounder that Seattle got Lynch for?

My comment was in reference to the utter nonsense being spewed by some on this forum about this very topic last season. There were several members who insisted we needed to trade the house for Marshawn Lynch last season, because with him we win the Super Bowl, whereas without him, we don't make the playoffs.

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My comment was in reference to the utter nonsense being spewed by some on this forum about this very topic last season. There were several members who insisted we needed to trade the house for Marshawn Lynch last season, because with him we win the Super Bowl, whereas without him, we don't make the playoffs.

gotcha...before i got here

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts